Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandsters in Nursing/Health Care Fields

I have a funny story when I got my gallbladder out. My nursing instructor at the time was an OR nurse. She was talking to us about anesthesia and said that in her OR when a patient took very little to get knocked out they would call them a cheap date. When I woke up in the recovery unit, I asked the nurse if I was a cheap date. I don't remember doing it, but the OR staff got a good giggle out of me knowing what that was!

Bonnie I was told I was a cheap date after my lap band! lol. Hope it doesn't get around the hospital :P

This looks like a great pkace to start my journey. I sm a paramefic who works in an ED. I am scheduled fir my band in just over two weeks and the nerves are starting to fly. Any advice!

This looks like a great pkace to start my journey. I sm a paramefic who works in an ED. I am scheduled fir my band in just over two weeks and the nerves are starting to fly. Any advice!

Yes... #1. Be patient! That first month is about HEALING not weight loss. #2. Don't compare yourself to anyone else with the band as in how much they have in their band and yours..it's very INDIVIDUALIZED. #3 and most important---your surgeon puts the band on, the work is up to you! I had to get right in my head during the days leading up to my surgery the changes I will have to make forever. There are certain things I choose not to eat. And I can tell you the night before my surgery I panicked thinking about that! You will learn things about yourself during this journey. For me, it was the food issues I really had. To this day, I make two scrambled eggs knowing I can only eat one. I end up throwing the rest away. But I am learning. I have to remember I ate a certain way for 51 years (yes I'm 51!) and u have to change that way of thinking . Get your head right before you ever go through with it . Do your follow ups like your supposed to. Also check out Amine the machine videos on you tube. He tells the story of his journey so far. Good luck and when you start looking good, don't let anyone steal your joy! Some people do try to sabotage you, believe it or not! This is a great place to come to and read and learn and connect with people! Keep me posted!!

Wanted to let the other healthcare providers know I was banded on Wednesday at my hospital! I actually didn't know any of the nurses (that I can remember) but I do remember waking up and demanding to know my bp/hr haha. They told me what my vitals were and I said 'oh' date=' ok, good job team, keep up the good work'. lol. I'm sure they thought I was nuts. I also was asking for an incentive spirometer at one point and asking them to make sure I had SCDs on so I didn't get blood clots, like they didn't know that already. I don't remember any of that though. Has anyone else been banded recently? have any good stories of when you were drugged and trying to direct your medical care??[/quote']

I am formerly an SICU nurse. I asked the RN in PACU..was that a MAC because I'm feeling pretty with it, then I started reviewing my operative report!! LOL! No I was a zombie and I don't remember doing those things. Ha!

Hi, I'm an RN first assistant that actually works with the dr doing my band. Have worked with him over 10 years and pretty confident in his skills. Having band on mon the 22nd. Hope to only take one week off. But, I do plan to listen to my body and the surgeon.

Hi' date=' I'm an RN first assistant that actually works with the dr doing my band. Have worked with him over 10 years and pretty confident in his skills. Having band on mon the 22nd. Hope to only take one week off. But, I do plan to listen to my body and the surgeon.[/quote']

Awesome! You know his mastery firsthand unlike most of us who rely on others after results. Are you nervous? Another question I'm dying to know is what percentage of patients ports flip? It's my understanding that It's sewn into the second most layer of muscle..you know the one deepest than that of which we acquire at adolescence. Mine flipped at my first fill. I've had My revision and still think it could happen to anyone. But how often have you seen it?

Awesome! You know his mastery firsthand unlike most of us who rely on others after results. Are you nervous? Another question I'm dying to know is what percentage of patients ports flip? It's my understanding that It's sewn into the second most layer of muscle..you know the one deepest than that of which we acquire at adolescence. Mine flipped at my first fill. I've had My revision and still think it could happen to anyone. But how often have you seen it?

I only work with him in surgery not in the office. But having said that, I've only seen one port revision. I don't know what others do but he sews his in pretty securely. I guess anything can happen since everyone's body and tissue are different. I'm not nervous yet but will be the night before. Just ready to get on with it!

Hi I'm a PCA similar to a CNA except I draw blood and go EKG's I didn't have my surgery at my hospital, while I stayed in network I needed some privacy. News spreads fast in the hospital. I didn't want anybody to see my stuff in the OR that I knew! Lol I started at 237 I'm now 204 I've had 2 fills. I plateaued for like 3 months and lost nothing! Just got a fill 2 weeks ago and in down 4lbs. The nurses in pacu were awesome! Had my 1mg I'd dilaudid on time! I brought my own incentive spirometer did my own ortostatic bps lol it was hard to be a patient

Hi I'm a PCA similar to a CNA except I draw blood and go EKG's I didn't have my surgery at my hospital' date=' while I stayed in network I needed some privacy. News spreads fast in the hospital. I didn't want anybody to see my stuff in the OR that I knew! Lol I started at 237 I'm now 204 I've had 2 fills. I plateaued for like 3 months and lost nothing! Just got a fill 2 weeks ago and in down 4lbs. The nurses in pacu were awesome! Had my 1mg I'd dilaudid on time! I brought my own incentive spirometer did my own ortostatic bps lol it was hard to be a patient[/quote']

Did you feel any restriction post op? I've read on this forum that some only take one fill! I had one big one following port revision and I still don't feel restricted. There is approximately 5cc in my band. I just measure and follow the nutrition instructions. I want to feel satisfied but I dont. Feeling a lot of regret.

I am a dnp aprn and am glad to see this thread here. I gained about 40 lbs during my doctorate and have been really hard in myself. I decided to get banded about a month ago and am set for 4 weeks from tomorrow.

Hi, I'm getting ready to have my surgery on Aug. 1, 2013. I am a Hospice/Extended Care LPN of 20 years. I have been through all the pre-op stuff once before only to have the insurance company change their mind at the last minute. This time, I have my approval letter and even says I have a provider that is supposed to take what the insurance company pays as "paid in full". Would love it if that happened!!!

I have scheduled my surgery for my vacation week from work. My surgeon assures me I will be able to go back to work on Monday following my surgery on Thursday. I hope this is true!! I recently found out the house supervisor is a former Bariatric coordinator who has volunteered to help me out with all the little details and "helps" that I might need.

I have truly wanted this for sooooooo very long, as my primary care MD says, "you are the healthiest overweight patient I have ever seen". He says, "your just fighting genetics". I have already had to have my lower spine fused and now I am finally at my "dream job" somewhere that I plan to retire from if my health holds out! So my unit manager has been an incredible support system for me and is rooting for me!!!

My family is a little more hesitant, but my spouse is supportive all the way!! He is one of the "lucky ones" who can eat ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING in massive amounts and still not gain weight!! But he says he loves me no matter what size I am. I just need to love myself!

I bought myself a journal to begin on Friday when I start the liquid diet, so I can journal my thoughts and feelings. I have also tried to "stock up" on the Water, diet Snapple, and other things on the post op diet list from my Dr.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear from you!!

Redrenwoman

I am an RN. I work in the Cath Lab. I returned to work today, post op day 5, and did fine. Even circulated a case. Had to have help to put on my lead to stay within my weight lifting restrictions, and our crew is awesome and lots of fun so I was hurting from laughing lol but it was great overall. Did some monitoring and recovery, and of course didn't move any patients!

Everyone in the lab knows about the surgery. I'm am open book and we are really like family, so I couldn't have kept it to myself if I wanted to - we all eat together every day! Two other girls in our crew and our clinical coordinator are banded as well, so that is a great support system for me at work.

This is a great post! I am in the medical field as well and being on my feet.. sometimes lifting etc is physically draining.. so I feel as a healthcare provider?? We have to be physically and mentally on our feet..