Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know there's been a lot of talk about Biotin on these threads, specifically how it effects hair loss. I thought I'd share my own recent experience.

When I had my Lap Band surgery 17 months ago, I lost a lot of hair after. It did eventually come back but it took a really long time. I had experienced the same thing with other previous surgeries, too. Then, I read on these forums about Biotin. So, about 6 months after being banded, I started taking 5000mcg of Biotin daily. I also use a Fruitese Shampoo called "Fall Fight" with Biotin in it.

In the last 3 months, I've had 2 surgeries and another procedure that required sedation. This also included 3 separate hospital stays and all the IV drugs that went with them. In the past, I'd have started losing my hair for sure by now.

I believe because I had been taking Biotin and eating healthy for many months prior to all this- I have zero Hair loss despite all the anesthesia and chemicals. I actually went to get my hair cut today and the beautician said aside from being a little dry (which is normal for me, I have naturally curly hair) my hair actually looked really healthy. I didn't even have split ends. I was shocked but thrilled. She said she was sure it was because of the Biotin I'd been taking before all the medical issues.

So... I can't guarantee it'll help everyone, but my advice to those pre-surgery and worried about hair loss, start taking Biotin now. The longer you can take it before you assault your hair with all those medical chemicals the better your hair will be able to stand it without major hair loss.

Just my experience- your mileage may vary. :)

How do you take the Biotin? I've only seen large capsules. Where do you get it? Thx

It's good to hear it worked for you. I am losing hair and just picked up some Biotin a couple of days ago.

My doctor also just ordered a bunch of post op labs to see if I am getting any deficiencies that might be causing it.

With my history as well, Biotin has really helped me. Thanks for reminding me to start taking it again! :D

I know there's been a lot of talk about Biotin on these threads, specifically how it effects hair loss. I thought I'd share my own recent experience.

When I had my Lap Band surgery 17 months ago, I lost a lot of hair after. It did eventually come back but it took a really long time. I had experienced the same thing with other previous surgeries, too. Then, I read on these forums about Biotin. So, about 6 months after being banded, I started taking 5000mg of Biotin daily. I also use a Fruitese Shampoo called "Fall Fight" with Biotin in it.

In the last 3 months, I've had 2 surgeries and another procedure that required sedation. This also included 3 separate hospital stays and all the IV drugs that went with them. In the past, I'd have started losing my hair for sure by now.

I believe because I had been taking Biotin and eating healthy for many months prior to all this- I have zero Hair loss despite all the anesthesia and chemicals. I actually went to get my hair cut today and the beautician said aside from being a little dry (which is normal for me, I have naturally curly hair) my hair actually looked really healthy. I didn't even have split ends. I was shocked but thrilled. She said she was sure it was because of the Biotin I'd been taking before all the medical issues.

So... I can't guarantee it'll help everyone, but my advice to those pre-surgery and worried about hair loss, start taking Biotin now. The longer you can take it before you assault your hair with all those medical chemicals the better your hair will be able to stand it without major hair loss.

Just my experience- your mileage may vary. :)

Missy are you sure it is 5000 mg or is it mcg? I see it listed as 5000 mcg on line...

I agree with you, after taking Biotin my hair has come back especially around the edges.