Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm with Terry. Not on the Fox News part (sorry Terry), but about sticking to open forum conversations about the lap band. This has become a real hiss & spit match, and it's not what we're here for. If we're going to open this forum up to politics, I'll put on my boxing gloves & be prepared to spend way more time in front of this computer than I already am :rolleyes:

Ok Children settle down. This topic is not a pissing contest against different countries or their medical systems...but thanks for enlightening us with your unfounded OPINIONS nonetheless. The real topic at hand is that the EUR medical arena, who has been working w. bands far longer than the US, is steering away from the band (per the poster). Our first thoughts should be to ask... what are the stats and why specifically are they discouraging the band, second- are we doomed to the same fate. Instead of getting all defensive, learn to evaluate information so you can be informed..not ignorant US tyrants.. PS Im American, but educated

I'm an expatriate American living in Europe. I'm extremely grateful to the socialized medical system I live under and pay a lot of taxes for. I have worked here for years and certainly paid my share into the system and now, as I get older, have accessed care for far more than I paid due to an unfortunate accident in 2010 that, had I had it in the USA, would have bankrupted me between the ambulance ride, the emergency surgery, the recovery period and over one year of physical therapy necessary to get me to walk again. It is true that I found the doctors here had zero bedside manner (in fact, there is no equivalent word for that in French) but hey...I don't need to love them, I just need them to get me well, right?

France still does lapbands. But the above commentor is correct; all surgeons moving away from banding as doing so not because it's an archaic type of WLS, or because of complications, but because it requires loads of aftercare that other surgeries do not. A sleeve is basically plug and play, while a band necessitates many postop visits as well as the adjustments. Not as profitable for any practice, even with its fee-bearing potential. Other WLS commands higher fees with little followup so that's what attracts the surgeons and makes them abandon the lapband.

Parisshel - thank you for the clear, NON-angry/defensive explanation on why european doctors are moving away from the band. Clearly, not an issue of efficacy, but of profitability.

Now, can everyone please put their guns down?

I did not intend for this to become a political discussion.. however, first of all Terry you are not the moderator so you are not going to control what I can say... and for your information I can think for myself unlike some people and do not have to depend on Fox News or any other news source to form an opinion... perhaps you might want to start listening to someone besides Chris Matthews or any of the so called "fair" media folks... I think the explanations on why the Europeans are not supportive of the lapband are correct but I also know the original post reported on outdated information. The last time I checked this is still a free country and the part about free speech still applies.. We all have our own demons and can get inspired from each others successes or we can bash the band , post erroneous information and scare the hell out of anyone who might be undecided.. I have enjoyed everyone's posts about their journey but will refrain from offering my personal opinion for fear it might conflict with Mr. Terry P.

however, first of all Terry you are not the moderator so you are not going to control what I can say... but will refrain from offering my personal opinion for fear it might conflict with Mr. Terry P.

My post was an attempt to control what you say??? WOW. BTW, wasn't I exercising "free speech" when I made my post? Or is the only free speech you are concerned about your own?

And who the hell is Chris Matthews?

Ok, I Googled him, and he has a show on the Liberal version of Fox News, MSNBC. Sorry, never watched it.

tell you what Terry let's call a truce, because neither of us will win.. I am way more concerned with my future health and how I can get to my goal. You did tell me to stick to the Lapband right? so you need to do the same.. There is way too much controversey and divisiveness in this Country for us to explore in this forum.. so we can agree to disagree all day long on that subject.. To all the folks out there like us who are working towards a healthier life,, I apologize for making any statement that might seem poltical, stay positive and when someone posts something negative or scary do some research before becoming alarmed...