Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frequent colds and flu??

I am wondering if anyone else has this problem? It seems like since I've had lapband and lost most of my weight I manage to catch every cold and flu that goes around. I am taking multi-vit and B12. I can be going good for a few weeks, increasing my exercise, them bam!! Get sick again.

Hi Shlyle,

You are not alone I hardly ever get sick, I go through the whole Chicago winter with just a hoodie and don't get sick...

But since being banded I'm sick all the time now n I so dislike being sick...

It's very annoying....

I am only recently banded one month to exact. I have had this trouble though before the band and now after the band. I feel sometimes as if my body is rebelling against all the changes I am trying to make for the health of it! I have a whole lot of stress chronic and nonstop, I'm sure lots of people can relate to that. Long work hours, new marriage 5 boys in total who range from 18-24 and have those large issues that come with older kids. I wish the only problem was making bottles at 5 am and changing diapers! Those were the easy days, you knew what to expect for the most part. Not to mention all the stress we get from the OLDER family like our parents. Who can't seem to stay healthy or out of hospitals them selves! Every other day someone is in the hosptial for some life saving reason. This last week, my father is in for another major invasive procedure without which he will die, and with which the chances are only 50/50 it all works out…I can't seem to win. Can't find the anti-stress button not for even a second!

Anyway, add all that to changing my eating habits, and then adding exercise to it, sends my body into some kind of shock mode and it can't take the pace so it shuts down and forces me to take a pause as I struggle for at least a week or better with some sickness or another.

This last week has been a BAD case of bronchitis. 2 rounds of antibiotics and only today one solid week later do I feel any better. I'm at a loss. I take my Vitamins, I try to limit the stress and get enough rest but there are not enough hours in the day and everyone is clamoring for something, the only rest I get is when I am alseep!

Thanks for the replies. I am just frustrated that I seem to take 1 step forward with my exercise, get sick, and take 2 steps back, waiting until my body can handle it again. And I wouldn't say that I am overly stressed....at least I don't feel like it. Some nights I have sleep troubles but have been that way for 10+ years. And yes I would usually get a cold once during the winter, but this year I am on my fifth head/chest cold, went through the flu, and to top it off had the worst stomach flu I have had in years.....and I got a flu shot :-)

Nope, I never felt better than after losing weight. I did not have flu, head colds or anything. I take only some Vitamins and no other meds. I even gave up my allergy pills.< /p>

Well, I'm glad some of you don't get sick but I think as we lose our layers of fat (yes, I said the F word - FAT! Lol), I think our immunity might weaken parts of our system. For instance, I need a sweater sometimes during the summer months (I live in FL) whereas before I lost 50 lbs I was always hot. It could just be me but I think the thermostat in my body has changed. I get more colds also.