Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Portion control help!!!

I was banded 7 months ago and I have lost about 65 lbs (beginning weight of 225 down to 160 now) I used to measure all my foods, and was never satisfied at 1/2 cup. It always has taken me 1 - 1 1/2 cup to make me feel even satisfied. I've had 7cc in my band for 2 months, and am feeling it is taking me about 2 cups to feel satisfied. I was recently laid off of work and have no insurance, so I can't discuss this with my doctor, but I would like real advice to get back on track. I am SO scared to stretch out my pouch. I need help!!! Suggestions!?!?

If you're worried about stretching your pouch, the easiest solution is to stick to a cup or less of food, regardless of whether or not you feel satisfied.

If you're not satisfied on a cup or less of food I'd consider a fill.

Best wishes.

I feel your pain. Have not felt satisfied since the day of surgery. Never has 1 cup of anything done it. I have 8cc in a 14cc band. Tonight was the last straw, had 2000calories today.

My APRN told me not to worry about having a "cup" of food at a meal. I was concerned that I could eat 1/2 can of string Beans, and two fish filets for lunch. The string beans are about 2 cups alone... that's around 250 calories total. I could never understand how anyone could be expected to get enough nutrients out of three meals of 1/2 cup each.

2 cups of string Beans are 250 cals??? Really I thought 1 cup was only about 70 cals if they were steamed and salted no butter?

I dont eat 1/2 at each meal except for Breakfast when I have a yogurt cup and thats it .... but for lunch and dinner im eating like 1.5 cups each.

NOT to say that I have the best advice because my weight loss is VERY slow ... but just adding my 2 cents

I bought 1cup bowls to serve myself in so that I don't over eat n I make sure to have lots of Protein with every meal even Snacks. I'm not perfect but I try cause I don't want to feel hungry. I'll have string cheese with Turkey deli meat, cottage cheese and fruit, a piece of chicken, a salad with egg or imitation crab (these can all b meals or snacks). This helps me stay satisfied longer. I've learned the band is here as a tool but we still have to make good choices. Good luck on your journey

Also I use my fitness pal to stay on track, I count calories, measure portions, n have a goal of 1200 calories. My MFP friends are very encouraging n supportive. Again I am far from being perfect but am much healthier than I was before.

Thank you for your honest advice, although I'm doing well, sometimes it takes a bit of encouragement to keep going. I have to remember that even though I may eat a little more than a cup of food, I'm still only human and now live a healthy active life unlike the bottomless pit I once was.

My nutritionist and Dr. said 1 cup 3 x a day .. I have a 1 cup bowl and a small plate that has a portion area for Protein, carbs, veg's (non carb) I doubt I could eat 2 cups of green Beans after eating my protein.. I also use My Fitness Pal.. it really helps keep me in check.. my weight loss isn't fast but I feel really good and am steadily losing... Good Luck to you on your journey...