Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am just curious if there are any people out there that have been banded and lost the weight, but then gained it back even though they were still banded? Is it common for someones stomach to strech that much? :confused:

I gained back 20 pounds recently. I hadn't had a fill for over a year, although I won't bame it only on that. I wasn't doing any working out, and eating all the bad foods that were able to go through my band easily, ice cream, chocolate, cookies....I don't think I stretched my band, just fell into bad habits. I got a fill two weeks ago and have already lost 13 pounds of that 20.

The only folks I've heard of where gain like that happened is when they got an unfill. Or if they had a bunch of milkshakes all the time or something like that.

It's possible for the pouch to get a little distended, but I don't think it's possible for that part of the stomach to stretch that much. From my best understanding, it's the most unstretchy part of the stomach. I've also heard (second hand) that some doctors say the pouch doesn't stretch, that a 'stretched pouch' is basically a slip, and the band needs to be repositioned (so the pouch didn't stretch so much as more stomach came up through the band).

Hope that helps.

I gained approx 25 lbs. However I lost from 140 to 120 because of a slip. Had it repositioned and went from 139 to 151. Have been having difficulty getting back to 139. Time for a fill. I have the large band.

Dody

Hi Amanda,

I gained some weight back when I quit smoking and also because of an unfill. I am now back to bandster rules and I am starting to lose again. IT is possible to gain even with proper restriction. The band is just a tool.

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

-150 ish

has anybody gained after slippage correction surgery? How many fills until you started to loose. I am almost 4 years out since my original band surgery. I have 10 to 15 lbs to loose. I can eat 2 cups of food at a setting, dieting and exercising isn't cutting it to loose. Any advice? I also notice I am hungry all the time. Have been drinking lots of Water. Running 4x week for thirty minutes, trying to stay around 1200 calories per day. Any advice would be great. Hope all of you are doing well with your bands.

Dody

220/152 today/goal 135-140

I was banded on March 7. I lost 28 pounds right after surgery, but I had complications. Alot of it came back as soon as I was on full liquids. I am only 11 pounds down now, am trying very hard to follow the rules, but I'm only 11 pounds down. I have had 1 fill and am due for another on 5/19. I'm really bummed. I am eating less than half of what I used to and am not losing. Excersize is difficult due to my severe arthritis, but I try my stationary bike as much as I can. When will I start to see some loss? I'm wondering if I'm gonna be a failure.

no you won't be a failure. Just probably you need a slight fill and it will happen over time. We are our worst critics! Anybody on full liquids probably gains, I know I did. All the best to you and let all of know your progress:)

Dody

ps how did you do that lost weight chart at the bottom of your post? I see it all the time and I like it.

I went to the ticker factory and made it, then inserted. There is a new thread right now that has the instructions. I just read it.

And then there is me. I've gained back a net of 15 hard faught pounds, and I've gained it back on 1000 calories.

Unfortunately it is possible. I am proof.

It can happen when even though you can't eat large amounts or certain foods, you can eat continuously throughout the day and the food you eat is dictated by what you can eat without PBing, which is usually crappy foods. I gained alot back when I was pregnant and had no fill.

BUT, weight regain is possible no matter what surgery you choose.

Thanks for the compliment. Scar tissue blocked my tubing, so I could get no fill in or out once it got to that point.

I opted to go with the Duodenal Switch Bypass when they removed the band. I had that done 11/17/05 and so far have lost almost 75 pounds. I am so happy, because believe me, it is devastating beyond all imagination when you lose that much weight, have a touch of a "normal" life and then gain it back. It's much worse than never losing at all, I think.

Well wishes to you..