Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Persistent pouch dilation

Hello everyone. I got banded back in August and things have been going so so. I'm down 50 pounds and only 30 from my first goal, so I guess I should be feeling more encouraged, but I've been having a hard time with my band the last couple of months. I got a pouch dilation back in the beginning of January, right after my fill up to 5cc (I have a 10 cc band). My next appointment wasn't until February and I wasn't sure at the time whether this was a real problem, or if I was simply just starting to feel real restriction so I didn't go back for an unfill until a month later. During that month, I could drink liquids but sometimes I felt like they weren't going down as easily as they should, especially in the mornings. I was able to eat food too, in teensy lap band portions and I ended up losing 13 pounds in that one month. I've never gotten stuck so badly that I had to bring it up, PBd, or had reflux, but I did get painful hiccups sometimes that don't last very long. At my February appointment, they found the pouch and put me on a 2 week liquid diet to make it go down, but when that didn't work they had to take 2 CCs out bringing me back down to 3.

I've been slowly getting refilled since then and haven't had any problems. Monday they got me back up to 5CCs, and I'm having the same problems again. I CAN drink liquids, but they aren't going down as smoothly as I think they should, I sometimes get painful 'hiccups' after eating a tiny bit of food, and I haven't felt hungry at all since two days ago despite barely eating anything. Maybe that's normal with good restriction? It's hard to describe, but I can kind of feel the band squeezing around the liquid while I drink. Should I be getting that feeling with a band that's only half full? My fill doctors are closed until Tuesday due to the holiday, they said that I could go to the ER but I don't think it's THAT series because I can still eat and drink. I'm going to do a liquid diet for the next few days, but what should I do after that? Ask for a sooner appointment to see if I have a pouch again?

I really don't want to go through another unfill just when I'd started to feel good restriction again. I'm ashamed to admit that my self control isn't as good as I thought it was and I gained back another eight pounds after they took out those 2 ccs. I'm also feeling very discouraged that I can't seem to get past the 5cc mark without having this problem. I worry that if they do unfill me, I'll just have the same problem again in another three months. Is it okay to just leave the pouch alone, as long as I'm careful? Or will it lead to complications? I've love some advice, thanks!

You don't have to get a big unfill. Even an amount as small as .1cc can make the difference between too tight and just right. Don't get stuck on numbers because how much that's in your band is completely irrelevant- all that matters is how you feel.

Unfortunately, I'd say no, you can't leave it like this. If you keep having pouch dilation from a band too tight it could progress to a full blown slip.

Hello everyone. I got banded back in August and things have been going so so. I'm down 50 pounds and only 30 from my first goal, so I guess I should be feeling more encouraged, but I've been having a hard time with my band the last couple of months. I got a pouch dilation back in the beginning of January, right after my fill up to 5cc (I have a 10 cc band). My next appointment wasn't until February and I wasn't sure at the time whether this was a real problem, or if I was simply just starting to feel real restriction so I didn't go back for an unfill until a month later. During that month, I could drink liquids but sometimes I felt like they weren't going down as easily as they should, especially in the mornings. I was able to eat food too, in teensy lap band portions and I ended up losing 13 pounds in that one month. I've never gotten stuck so badly that I had to bring it up, PBd, or had reflux, but I did get painful hiccups sometimes that don't last very long your hiccups are due to the stomach contacting the diaphragm, some people like to use this as a "soft stop" But it's NOT a good idea. Since the diaphragm doesn't feel pain ,it refers it to the Left shoulder, Which CAN and DOES create a problem with the vagus nerve (long term) At my February appointment, they found the pouch and put me on a 2 week liquid diet to make it go down, but when that didn't work they had to take 2 CCs out bringing me back down to 3cc CK the link to LB complications in my signature line below, It tells all about pouch dilation and causes I hope the information helps

I've been slowly getting refilled since then and haven't had any problems. Monday they got me back up to 5CCs, and I'm having the same problems again. I CAN drink liquids, but they aren't going down as smoothly as I think they should, I sometimes get painful 'hiccups' after eating a tiny bit of food, and I haven't felt hungry at all since two days ago despite barely eating anything. Maybe that's normal with good restriction? It's hard to describe, but I can kind of feel the band squeezing around the liquid while I drink. Should I be getting that feeling with a band that's only half full? My fill doctors are closed until Tuesday due to the holiday, they said that I could go to the ER but I don't think it's THAT series because I can still eat and drink. I'm going to do a liquid diet for the next few days, but what should I do after that? Ask for a sooner appointment to see if I have a pouch again?

I really don't want to go through another unfill just when I'd started to feel good restriction again. I'm ashamed to admit that my self control isn't as good as I thought it was and I gained back another eight pounds after they took out those 2 ccs. I'm also feeling very discouraged that I can't seem to get past the 5cc mark without having this problem. I worry that if they do unfill me, I'll just have the same problem again in another three months. Is it okay to just leave the pouch alone, as long as I'm careful? Or will it lead to complications? I've love some advice, thanks!

Yeah I was afraid it might cause other complications. I actually started feeling a LOT better yesterday though, and was able to eat and drink normally. I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow and see what they say, but I'm hoping there isn't actually a problem.