Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average weight loss

Hi Everyone,

I was at my local lap doctor here in Orlando last week and he gave me some interesting information.

He told me that they had been doing a study of the average weight loss for lap band patients, and that the averge overall weight loss is 55% of what needed to be lost.

Interesting. Of course he did say their are some who do better and some of us who do worse!

FYI....

Staci

Orlando FL

banded in TJ 12/04

Yipes Staci. That's an eye opener. I'd hate to be the one to be in the 55% group. I hope to be one of the patients that do better than their statistics. Losing only 55% would mean a total weight loss of about 57.75lbs for me. That would make me halfway there almost with a weight of 182.25lbs. Blah @ statistics!

:)

Was this Dr. kim?

If you average it out over all the people banded though there would be an awful lot that are fairly non compliant, people who dont go back and get fills and people who despite being filled absolutely cannot overcome their desire to overeat foods that do go through the band.

i can have a bad day where I can eat every bit as much as I used to if I was having a bad day pre band - chips, chocolate, Cookies, I have no restriction on those things. But I can have a bad day once in 2 months, not once or twice every week now - and that's due to my inner resolve to do this and do it right. Many people have far worse disordered thinking and eating patterns and simply cannot overcome this sort of thing.

I've also been able to work a good amount of aerobic and strength exercise into my life and am sticking with it. I've passed that "this hurts" hurdle and love it now and no longer do the type of thing where I think "well I've eaten shite today, so I wont bother going for a run". Eating and exercise isnt connected for me anymore, I love the exercise for its own sake. There's plenty of people around who loathe it and will never get into a routine they will stick with for life.

There's also people who got fat for reasons they could not control, metabolic issues for example, that may not be resolved by banding.

If none of those apply to you - if you eat well, if you exercise regularly and have no underlying disease or disorders there is every reason to be confident you will surpass this rather depressing statistic.

Jacqui, I love you for saying that. It brightened my day. After reading that statistic, it kinda freaked me. I sometimes see things flatly. I'm glad you said what you said.

Thank you truly.

Hi Telly,

Yes, it was Dr. Marema at Dr Kims office. He is the Program Director and Founder at US Bariatric.

Staci

Orlando FL

banded in TJ 12/04

Also, don't forget that stats can sooooo easily be manipulated and stated in such a way so as to suit the aim/purpose of almost anyone's agenda.

Me...I don't put much stock in statistics....at least not this one.....I am me and I will do what I can/want.....despite what the stats say!

You see? This is why Jachut is my hero. *grins*

When we think about statistics like this, there is something to remember. The only thing that will determine your success is YOU.

<INSERT here genetic about diseases and disorders diclaimer>(insert disclaimer about genetic disorders and various diseases here)

<INSERT here etc diseases, disorders, genetic about disclaimer>

I also think (but not sure) that they count everyone that started in the study even if they had their band removed for any reason. A few people not losing at all or gaining (from having their band removed) would really skew the numbers.

Just like if you have three people that do 100% and one that does 0% then it looks like a 75% average... but if they took only the people who started and ended banded I think the average would go up.

I have heard that the average is about 60%. And I agree with the above. I know a couple of people who did not follow the program (thought the band would just melt the pounds off without getting fills), and they went on to have the bypass, or just had the band removed. And I know many more people that lost all their weight. But the majority of bandsters that I have met have lost the majority of the weight, perhaps needing to lose another 20 lbs or so.

For me, I started at 362 lbs. According to the doctor's chart, I should be at the heaviest at 159 lbs (I am tall).... So that is 203 lbs to lose to get to 100%. Personally, I want to see me at 200 lbs (well 199, just to see the hundreds!). That would put me in a size 10-12. And don't forget about my tummy tuck!... If I lost 60%, that would put me at 241 lbs (a 121 lb loss). Not bad, probably a size 14-16. I would consider that to be successful. But I know that I can do a bit better....