Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The future looks bright....

I started this process over a year ago and have gotten no where. At first I was 100% positive that I was going to do the bypass. I met with the surgeon, did all of the pre op test and visits that were required. Then I found a website that I was really excited to dig in to. however, it seems that 90% of what I read was all negative. Scared the heck out of me and my family. I want to lose weight and I need to, but I can't see through all the negative things. So a couple months ago I looked more into the band. Safer and can be removed if problems arise. Makes more sense to me? Then of course I go and check out the other site and people on there are all negative about the band stating that it's "Old" and doesn't work and so on. Thankfully there was this one person that provided the link to here. Much happier and much better reading. Now for me...I am the heaviest I've even been in my life and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I've tried numerous diets and pills and nothing is working. So I'm at the end of my rope. I just keep gaining weight even though I'm not doing anything different. I've talked to my family about the band and they are very supportive, I mean truthfully supportive, not like they semi were with the bypass. I called the doctors office and made my first appointment and found out that everything is the same as far as qualifying except it's an upper GI x ray rather than the tube thingy. They also said that my insurance company has changed it from a 3 month weight to a month weight. Which is fine because I wanted to have it towards the end of the year. I have vacation days saved up and typically use them at the end of the year anyways. I'm trying to keep this between famiy and the few I tell. So If I can do it and be out a week or so then I'll be good. I just wanted to introduce myself and would love to hear from anyone. I'm still new in my journey but feel that this is the right step. I'm not scared (maybe just a little) as I was with the bypass and feel that this is the right journey for me. I know it's not a miracle and I have to work at it for it to be successful as with any route I might take but I honestly don't feel like I'm risking my life with having this done. The bypass was iffy. Thanks again for listening. I just wanted to express myself and my concerns....

I was banded a week ago- I don't think I could have done the bypass- I too thought that was a bit drastic for me to actually cut out part of my body. I have been happy so far- I am down 20 pounds since I started and feel great! Looking forward to a new me with more energy than I have had in years!

I had surgery 5 days ago,and feel good,I'm not real hungry and haven't gotten sick,I have no regret and also did a lot of research before going under,the lapband did seem safer and so its the route I took.I haven't weighed myself yet,but have a Dr appt on Friday,n the staff has been great,calling to check on me and offering their help for anything. Hope you make the right decision to make you happy ,cause that's what I did,and my family has been very supportive.

I too was at the end of my rope. I knew for a fact that I could never lose weight like I did when I was younger. Nothing worked so I knew this was it. I chose the band for all the same reasons you mentioned and I have no regrets. I still have more to lose and I know it may take a few years to work off this last bit of padding I've had for about 15 years.

Welcome and good luck.

tmf

You will always hear negatives along with the positives, but if you set out looking for negatives you will always find them. I am 4 years banded and no problems I did not cause myself. A lot of the negatives you read about are mostly likely a good part user error.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I called my surgeon and have an appointment this Friday to get the ball rolling. I heard that it might be a 6 month wait and I wpuld like to have my surgery at the end of the year. I want to start the new year off with a bang :)