Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chance of Working Again After "Total Failure?"

I had lap band surgery over two years ago, in November of 2010. I began at 339 pounds, lost twenty in the pre-surgical two week low carb diet, and after surgery got down to 249. Then I bounced, and everything seemed to go wrong. Looking back, I think I was over-eager about increasing my fills, and it got me to the point where there was zero hunger control, etc. Now, I'm back up to 325 pounds. My band is still at around 9cc, but it doesn't really do much at all for Portion Control anymore---just creates problems with certain foods at times. I feel like my eating is completely out of control again, and I'm discouraged as hell. I haven't been back to my bariatric doc's office in about a year and a half, just out of sheer embarrassment. That said, I can't handle being this big again, and I need to do something, but I'm honestly afraid of going back to the doctor. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Is it possible after this degree of failure to get back to a place where the band is actually helping again and serving its purpose, or have I likely just screwed this option up permanently?

Congratulations on asking for help. Call the doctor, he/she has seen it all. I watch too many daytime doctor shows and they say nothing is embarrassing to them. Call you'll feel better. Call your dietitian, too. Go to the monthly support meetings again, I love them. Tonight, throw out all your 'danger' foods. Out of sight out of mind.

Good luck and call tomorrow, please!

It's never too late to start over and you're only a "failure" if you give up. You haven't given up and you're not a failure.

The very first thing I'd do is call your surgeon and make an appointment. Let him help you get back on track and check your band. I'd also make an appointment with your nutritionist so they can also help you.

I also think having realistic expectations of the band will help you a lot. You talk about portion control- that's not the band's job. The band isn't meant to physically stop you from eating anything and this is exactly why it's so important to stick to band sized portions. What the band is supposed to do is allow you to go much longer periods of time without hunger after small meals.

Have a look at these links, I really think they'll help a lot:

The Lap Band is NOT About Restriction- by Dr. Simpson

Tighter Isn't Always Better- by Jean McMillan

Hang in there and don't give up!

Best wishes.

I had lap band surgery over two years ago' date=' in November of 2010. I began at 339 pounds, lost twenty in the pre-surgical two week low carb diet, and after surgery got down to 249. Then I bounced, and everything seemed to go wrong. Looking back, I think I was over-eager about increasing my fills, and it got me to the point where there was zero hunger control, etc. Now, I'm back up to 325 pounds. My band is still at around 9cc, but it doesn't really do much at all for Portion Control anymore---just creates problems with certain foods at times. I feel like my eating is completely out of control again, and I'm discouraged as hell. I haven't been back to my bariatric doc's office in about a year and a half, just out of sheer embarrassment. That said, I can't handle being this big again, and I need to do something, but I'm honestly afraid of going back to the doctor. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Is it possible after this degree of failure to get back to a place where the band is actually helping again and serving its purpose, or have I likely just screwed this option up permanently?[/quote']

Call your doctor. He is there to help you get back on track. I'll bet since you had your surgery you will be surprised on new thoughts on the whole process. My surgeon, who I see every appointment, told me drinking with meals is no longer a no-no. Years ago it was not supposed to be done. As long as you don't "wash every bite down, enjoy that glass of wine with dinner. Just count them in. Call and make an appointment. The band is a key to your weight loss, not a magic wand. USE IT and good luck.

Sent from Angel's iPad using LapBandTalk

Mis73, I think you bring up a good point. I think I really approached the band as a "portion control" tool, rather than a "hunger control" tool. Ugh!

The other comments are right on. But don't be afraid of your doc. If you think for one minute that all bariatric docs have not seen dozens or hundreds of patients with your problem, you're dreaming dude! Go in, take your medicine and come back to the fold.

Gee, I feel like singing a Journey song right now? Open arms?

tmf

The fear of going to the doctor will be far worse than actually doing it, all doctors know how easy it is to put weight back on, bite the bullet and just do it, after all u should get your band checked out as a matter of routine.

Gee, I feel like singing a Journey song right now? Open arms?

tmf

omg love that song !

Mis73, I think you bring up a good point. I think I really approached the band as a "portion control" tool, rather than a "hunger control" tool. Ugh!

First....Hoping the best for you!

I try to learn from folks with experience like yourself, and I thank you for posting your journey. Hopefully, this won't be too many questions.

I'd like to know, when you mention that you think you were over-eager with fills and that led to "zero hunger control", was it a gradual thing that happened over many fills? Or more of a one time was too much?

You state that your band doesn't really do much at all for Portion Control "anymore". By that, do you mean that it used to when you were at a less agressive fill volume? When you were losing, did you feel that portion control that the band does provide for many of us? Or was it mostly self portion control ( a diet ) that led to your weight loss?

I completely understand the feeling of embarassement of going back to the doctor after a period of not doing well...(for about a year and a half)...been there, right along with you. My experience was, my surgeon was completely the opposite of my fears....absolutely amazing. And I couldn't be happier now.

As others have suggested, please make that appt, and follow up. I think you may be surprised at the support you receive from your team. I wish you much success in getting back to that happy spot with your band, and your life. Thanks again for sharing your story.

I just called the office. My doctor is booked up pretty heavily right now, but they fit me in on May 30th during the time of day he doesn't normally schedule anyone. Apparently he really wants to get me in there.

I wish it was sooner, so I could just get it over with, but I guess it's committed anyway.

I feel the same way as you - good job on making that appointment!

I also find it easier to follow the rules and be more conscious of how to work with your band if you visit the forums and give it some real thought each day. Yesterday was the first time in a long time that I really paid attention to how my hunger felt, and I was able to really control my eating and what I ate, all because I spent about 30 minutes reading the forums for encouragement and to remind myself that there are others out there who are experiencing the same things I am.

Good luck!