Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on 4/11 and weighed in at 286.4, weighed myself last week and dropped to 275 during full liquid phase; however, today I weighed in and am at 282. Is this normal? I'm feeling really bumbled out about this.

Normal. Weight fluctuations happen during this phase. Most of the weight we lose shortly after surgery and even before on the pre op diet is just excess Water. It will take 4-6 weeks to wring out much of this type of excess weight. So, during this phase sodium, TOM, allergies, stress all can make you hold back fluids. Once you get some fills and can work on finding the green zone and satiety, you'll start to see the fat disappear along with inches.

tmf

You are not alone I was Banded March 18,2013 , weighed 324.

Two weeks post op I had only lost 3 lbs,weighed in at 321.

Since then I gained 9 lbs, now I'm down 4 lbs.

I like you hope this is normal...

Before the 10 day liquid diet, 359. Two days before banding I was 336. Two days after banding I was 346. Totally normal. Just be glad you're +7 lbs in Water, means you're keeping hydrated properly!

Very normal. Please be patient with the weight loss or gain during this period. Swelling will go done and then you will lose the weight.

I'm totally with you here. Even though I know intellectually this is the norm, I still cannot understand how I cannot see more of a loss at this point. One month post-op, I stay at or under 1200 cal day of real, post-op approved foods (protein first, fruit, veg, no bread, Pasta, etc). I really hate to say this, but one month on Weight Watchers would have had me with a similar loss, and without surgery. That said, I could never sustain Weight Watchers in the longterm, whereas I know I can work the Lapband for life.

But I read these blogs/posts where other bandsters banded around my date are dropping weight like crazy and I don't understand why them and not me. And then I get that crazy radio in my head that says that I'll be the ONE person for whom this band does not work. :(

I feel like that too sometimes I think we all kind of go through that phase lol.. But you shouldn't compare your weight loss with anyone else's everyone is different and we all lose weight at different paces... You will lose the weight and you will not be that one person it doesn't work for because this is a tool to help you lose weight and it seems you are following the right diet... It will work it just takes time!! Hang in there and good luck :)

I'm totally with you here. Even though I know intellectually this is the norm, I still cannot understand how I cannot see more of a loss at this point. One month post-op, I stay at or under 1200 cal day of real, post-op approved foods (protein first, fruit, veg, no bread, Pasta, etc). I really hate to say this, but one month on Weight Watchers would have had me with a similar loss, and without surgery. That said, I could never sustain Weight Watchers in the longterm, whereas I know I can work the Lapband for life.

But I read these blogs/posts where other bandsters banded around my date are dropping weight like crazy and I don't understand why them and not me. And then I get that crazy radio in my head that says that I'll be the ONE person for whom this band does not work. :(

Here's some examples of a typical meal for me pre lap band:

EX1

1qt Beef Fried rice

10 chicken wings

2 egg rolls

2 cans soda

EX2

1 medium sausage, pepperoni and Canadian bacon pizza

5 bread sticks with 4oz of marinara

EX3

2/3 lb Pasta

1 cup Alfredo sauce

1/2 lb chicken breast

3 slices garlic toast

Needless to say that was excessive with that Alfredo clocking in at over 3000 calories. I only really ate once per day, but it was still 3000 calories. So now that I haven't been getting very many calories in a day my weight has been plummeting. But that's going from 3000cal/day to almost nothing, so obviously the huge change will do that. For you, your body is used to weight watchers and has adjusted it's metabolism to receiving that 1200cal/day. You'll still lose the weight. Slowly, but it will go away. Just up your exercise and even 300cal per day will make a big difference in your weight loss plan.

Just having the band won't make you lose any more than weight watchers, Atkins, jenny craig etc. It just won't prevent you from gaining weight and won't enable you to lose weight until it's adjusted properly and you understand how it works and work with it.

It comes easy to some but for some of us, it's so much more difficult. Changing a lifetime of bad eating habits won't happen in 30 days and maybe not 12 months. Just keep working on it. Read Jean McMillan's most recent entry, "Think thin".

tmf