Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

after fill mentality

Ok so i got my forst fill last week...and im struggggggling sooo much. Its like MENTALLY i want to eat. I see things and im like craving them. I feel like im nonstop thinking about food all the time... however PHYSICALLY im NOT that hungry and when i do eat i can only get cirtain things down without having a problem. I dont know how to describe the feeling... im like wanting to eat even though i know i cant. and nothing i can eat is satisfying me. does that make sense? its like i just want to sit down and eat a meatball sub but i know i cant...so i dont...but im constantly looking for something to eat instead to fill that craving but nothing is cutting it! i dunno... if anyone else has felt this way please let me know... bc im having a hell of a time! i seriously think im in a bad mood bc of it...

I've had one fill and still don't feel restriction yet. I've had a couple of nights where I just felt like I had to eat something!!! I'll grab a piece of cheese, or a couple of crackers or anything, but nothing seems to help. I'm still eating way less than before the band, but am not losing very much. I lost 28 pounds right after surgery, but am now at only a total of 11. Sure hope something changes soon.

ok i did same thing it was not until my 3 fill that there is no....................question and to eatin, over eating ,drinking large amounts it will not happen you will no be hungery, yu will will not be deprived you or i started to fell empowereed what a wonderful thing to say yes this is not only going to worik it is working not only with the weight but also with the brain.

donna

I think I've convinced myself that although I still feel this I dont need to go tighter. I really believe there is no point of restriction at which this feeling will go away and that the best thing is to work on making good choices, not filling myself ever tighter in an effort not to have to make those choices - ie. I dont want to eat just small amounts of crap, I want to eat well all round. When I eat well - low fat and lots of fruit and veg, the amount that I can physically eat is small enough to ensure good weight loss.

I think its been made easier in that I paid for this operation, there aint nowhere to go from here so its finally time that if I cant make good choices now I never will and this seems to be working for me.

I have good times and times when I struggle. The times when I struggle I do exactly what I used to, eat nutritionally worthless food meal after meal, graze in between. The difference now is that I stop losing, I dont gain. That's good enough for me. In my head it means I have an "out", I can slip back into comforting ways when I really feel I need to just to have a breather and then get going with my program again. Those times that I "need to" are coming less and less often as I'm learning they're prompted not by need within myself but by circumstances - being busy, having too many things to think about than just myself, and especially in keeping a 3 year old occupied, hey, let's go to Maccas! I'm slowly teaching myself other ways to deal with these situations.

The way I see it, this band and this level of fill means I can eat an amount appropriate to nourish my body whilst still losing weight. My part of the bargain is to choose the right foods to keep the calorie count reasonable. No band and no fill can ever do that for me.

You've done great with your weight loss and it's natural to obsess over food and crave certain things. Adopting an "all or none" attitude is a trap we often fall into... often to allow ourselves to over eat. If you are really craving a certain food, why not have a small portion to satisfy the craving? Naturally thin people don't eat ONLY nutritious foods. They splurge every now and again but they don't over indulge.

I know just what you mean. I was acutally feeling ANGRY the other day because I was hungry for my lunch and I couldn't just pop into the local deli and get something. I really wanted to eat that sandwich, but that is not possible with my band. I can't do bread. It's called "head hunger" and it takes a while to fade.

I too know what you mean, but the good news is that it really does go away. What helped me is remembering WHY I went through this, and that turns the anger to gratitude that there really is something stopping me from overeating. This is what the band is FOR, and I am so happy when it stops me from taking that next bite. What I've had (and still have) to work on is actually paying attention to those bites I do take, so I have time to enjoy them before I have to stop. Mindless nibbling has been my downfall in the past, so being aware and appreciating my food from the very first bite lets me be OK with the fact that when I'm done, I'm done.

This is why you did it, Aligirrl! As the weight comes off, you'll start to appreciate it more.

For me I get this feeling in stages. I go through a stage where I really don't care so much about food, and I eat when I'm hungry, and don't eat when I'm not. Other times, like you, I just can't stop thinking about it. Even if I just ate, I'm thinking about my next meal/snack.

The thing the helps the most for me is kind of like what Alex said. Realizing that THIS is what the band is for. If I had no band, I'd eat all those foods I was thinking about, sometimes one right after another, and now I CAN'T. I lose weight when this 'clicks' and I quit arguing with my band..

aligirrl,

I do feel you. I got a fill a couple of weeks ago and I have wanted to eat so bad but the band just wouldn't let me. So I walk around evil for a few days and then I content myslef cause this is what I paid for so I just need to be happy. But it is hard, I will open and closed that refrigerator a hundred times before I just go on up those stairs and go to bed.

Anyway, today we had a office Breakfast and luncheon and I made spinish dip, which will go down fine but most of the other stuff is very fattening and greasy so thank you band, I will not be eating that today.