Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Forbidden Foods (or ones that make you hurt)

I know a lot of people have problems with certain foods either

a) they make you hurt really bad or sick or PB (example bread, eggs, etc)

:bananadoggywow: they slip though the band and you over eat them so you have to "Forbid" them.

My discussion point here is what are you doing about these foods? What will you do in the future?

I'm asking out of curiousity because my mom makes homemade Easter Bread only once a year and it's sooooo special to the family. It's a recipe and technique that has been passed down from Portgual. It's been a tradition for my entire life and way before for the family.

I just love it and only wanted one piece... I threw it up. I feel so bad because my mom's being a bit 'sad' that no one is eating the bread and she should quit making it. I don't want her to quit making it and hope I can eat it next year. Maybe just a little.

Do you all have any "favorite" things you hope to be able to eat again?

The band is so fickle - if you can't eat it now, try it again later. Also, when I really want to eat something, I cheat and drink hot tea with it to help it go down. There's nothing you can't eat if you really put your mind to it! :bananadoggywow:

Well I'm still too tight (but am getting some solids down) but the hot tea isn't working for me on bread... it works for a few other things though.

The band is fickle since there are things I ate yesterday that I can't get down today and vice versa.

I cant eat brocklie but I love it :bananadoggywow:

I cant eat really tuff or fatty meats, I spit out the stuff I know wont go down. I also tend to eat alot of meats with my hands now because if you cut up that steak and put it in you mouth and its tuff or too fatty its gross to spit it out around people so I nibble the meat in my fingers lol

im glad u posted this bc im having trouble with soooo many things latley (got filled and its pretty tight). there are sooo many things i want to eat but im stuck to eating the same old things day in and day out...im getting so discouraged and grazing all day on the same things so im still not loosing weight...any suggestions?

grilled chicken is sooo bad for me! i love it yet i know it will be the deatttthhh of me one day! esp when its really over cooked and a little dry!!! ughhhhhhhhh!

bagels...or bread of any sort is HORRRRRIBLE. any kid of breading u might as well just stick a knife into my chest.

I have difficulty with most types of chicken which is a mainstay for me. And the food I miss the most is pizza. Probably better I can't eat it since I have no control over it, but I CRAVE it!!!!!! Sometimes when I am feeling less restriction (because of my period, or I need a fill or whatever) I try small amounts of the items I usually can't eat. A splurge once in a while is better than eating pizza daily is what I figure!

Nothing in particular makes me hurt, I can eat anything but its really comes down to the time of day / month for me.

The morning and late night (meaning after 9 PM or so) food gets stuck easier. dinner is the meal where I can pack it down.

A cold glass of milk later than 9 PM really HURTS :phanvan

Go figure lol

Can someone give me a list of veggies that go down easy

Sally, I think most veggies would go down fine, just as long as you take small bites and chew like a madman........but its really an individual thing you need to try out for yourself.

Boy oh boy do I miss bread, pizza and french fries. None of my favorites will go down so I have done without them since being banded. Every once in a while, I can eat a couple of fries but anything that is breaded, including the cupcakes, pies, cakes, donuts and danishes will not go down.

It's been a good thing cause now I can see that I can live without these things.

eggs, bread, pizza and hotdogs are all bad for me as far as causing pain and pb's - Let me tell you it will be one long cold day you know where before I try pizza again. Simply not worth it.

...but anything that is breaded, including the cupcakes, pies, cakes, donuts and danishes will not go down.

It's been a good thing cause now I can see that I can live without these things.

Exacly why I got my band! I think about these foods on occassion, but I generally figure out that I'm not craving them so much as remembering them. Certain times or events will trigger the memories and I immediately go into habit mode and for an instant I want to go get the foods associated with the memory at the time. However, I stop and remind myself that it's just that old habit rearing its ugly head and then I turn my attention back on enjoying the moment rather than thinking I need a certain food to really enjoy whatever I'm doing. Example: The other night Dawg and I took our 2 1/2 year old grandson to the park. It was a beautiful evening and as we left the park I couldn't stop thinking about how nice it would be to take our grandson to Dairy Queen and get an ice cream cone. This was just part of good summer time memories for me, and being out in the park triggered the memory. We didn't go to DQ that night, but we did enjoy our time together and our grandson's memory won't be centered around food, but rather his time with Papaw and Grandma. It's never too late to change the future.

I am so thankful for my band. It has held me in place long enough to think through these things rather than just reaching for that bag of chips or driving through McDonald's out of habit.

Well, so far the only food I can't eat because of PB pain, is sushi. I think it was the rice more than the fish, and the fact that I was eating it too fast and in too big of bites the day my first fill (can we say "DUH"?)

Now, as for "forbidden" foods, I have a big list of those, because they go down waaaay too easy:

chips, chocolate, ice cream, doritos, corn chips, popcorn (although I do eat it, I make sure it's without butter and I only order a small), nuts, crackers, cheese (I eat this too but really try to limit it), fried Snacks of any kind (I am a huge fan of Indian food and they have these evil fried snack with potatos and mixed nuts, or sesame sticks and fried corn flakes, or fried puffed rice with coconut and peanuts. It all goes down so fast and easy I have to really avoid it at all costs).

I have eaten all of these foods, but am trying to stay as far away from them as possible. Basically I am trying to stay away from anything that's too calorie-dense. It's not worth it. Today at lunch, my co-worker ordered a huge brownie hot fudge sunday and invited all of us to share it. I took one bite and that was it. Why sabotage all my efforts for 20 seconds of pleasure? Just not worth it, in my opinion.

Hmmm... the fact that I can probably eat most of this stuff makes me think that it might be fill time.... whattaya all think? I really haven't lost much at all since surgery, although I think a lot of that has do with me drinking way too many liquid calories (hello booze!!!). That said, if I can keep my calorie intake down to about 1300 is that good enough or should I kick myself in the butt??