Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please read and be aware

After a turn of unfortunate events I no longer have the lap band I want to post my most recent journey so that I can make people aware. Back in October 2012 after having the lap band only 7 months (it working successfully) I had an adjustment adding Fluid I did well for about 3 weeks then became sick I would vomit after eating anything and at times after just liquids it was accompanied with abdominal pain I went to the urgent care and was advised it could be a flu going around or a start of an appendicitis I went home symptoms never ceasing I contacted my lap band dr who suggested removing the fluid to help if it was the flu I went home again symptoms Continuing for the next few days when I couldn't take it anymore I went back to my dr and he really thought it was my appendix so I went in and had it removed hoping that was the issue unfortunately it was not, it got to the point where I couldn't keep any food down at all so I reverted to my Protein Shakes it helped a bit but not for long I kept in touch with my dr pretty much daily when I was not getting better he began to think it was possibly my gall bladder so I went back in for surgery a second time with in two weeks and had the gall bladder and lap band Removed I was devastated but understood it needed to happen to get well After a week I was still not getting better I was still unable to keep food or liquids down I had my dr make an urgent appointment with a gastroenterologist I explained to him my symptoms and he believed it to be gastroparesis but had to do test to confirm it and that was going to take three weeks I ended up having to be put on a pic line and had Iv nutrition on a 24hr basis. Gastroparesis is caused by damage to a nerve on the stomach and the stomach stops working as it should causing no absorption of foods or liquids and no natural spasming of the stomach so it's not breaking down the food it ends up sitting there for hours there are few medications in the US that are FDA approved and it's not the most easily treated illness. I finally got my test and confirmed it was gastroparesis I was started on a medication and am doing so much better I am able to eat again and am now off he Iv nutrition I'm hoping after a while my stomach will begin to work normal on its own with out the meds come to find out the lap band was to tight and caused the damage causing me to get sick I'm sad that it had to happen that way but in my opinion things happen for reasons I wish luck to everyone who has the band and pray you never get this problem but I also want you all to be aware of this it is not ever referred to as a possibility my journey of illness started in November and was diagnosed in February a little to long to not be able to eat if anyone has questions please contact me I only want to spread awareness.

So, did your surgeon take responsibility for damaging the nerve or was it damaged by the band squeezing the stomach?

tmf

It was caused by the band being too tight in my opinion the doctor didn't do anything wrong my stomach just didn't want to cooperate . There actually wasn't a lot of Fluid in the band so we didn't know that it was too tight

I guess I should have looked up gastroparesis before I spoke? Is it possible you had this prior to surgery and the band exacerbated the problem? Do you have diabetes, heavy smoker, bulemic?

Sorry for all the questions but to truly help the forum it's good to know the nature of this condition?

tmf

I'm truly sorry you went through this.

I'm confused about your doctor. You don't "guess" whether a patient has appendicitis or a bad gallbladder. You definitely don't just randomly remove them on a "possibility" either. There are tests that can confirm both problems, including blood tests and CT scans. No credible doctor just starts taking out organs based on a possibility.

I also don't understand why he'd remove both your gallbladder and your band? Was your band slipped from all the vomiting?

Was the doctor who removed your appendix and your gallbladder the same doctor who put in your Lap Band?

It was caused by the band being too tight in my opinion the doctor didn't do anything wrong my stomach just didn't want to cooperate . There actually wasn't a lot of Fluid in the band so we didn't know that it was too tight

I hope you feel better and can start a livable way of eating soon.

Not a diabetic not a smoker never a bulimic, I had multiple ct scans and tests done he believed it was the appendix at first because of the location of pain and said he has seen appendicitis's that presented that way the gall bladder test also showed some abnormalities enough for them to be a concern the band did not slip I showed some distention but his concern was due to the band being in place and all my vomiting that it would cause damage to the stomach more than it already had

well whatever happened, am sorry but hope you are feeling/doing better

Not a diabetic not a smoker never a bulimic, I had multiple ct scans and tests done he believed it was the appendix at first because of the location of pain and said he has seen appendicitis's that presented that way the gall bladder test also showed some abnormalities enough for them to be a concern the band did not slip I showed some distention but his concern was due to the band being in place and all my vomiting that it would cause damage to the stomach more than it already had

I'm no doctor but but if he did a CT scan he would've seen if it was your gallbladder. If it was appendicitis then your white blood cell count would've been significantly elevated. Furthermore, when he got into your abdomen he could've seen by examining the organs whether or not they had gone bad.

It seems to me your doctor screwed up multiple times along the way. That's why I wondered if the same doctor who put in your band is the same one who did the other surgeries.

And btw, if your current condition was caused by your band being too tight as you said, then your doctor is partially to blame because if he'd done the necessary diagnostic test he'd have seen the band was too tight before you went through all these surgeries. Your stomach isn't supposed to cooperate with anything, your doctor is supposed to make sure your band is doing the cooperation.

I'm glad you figured out the problem and hopefully you'll be much better now, but I would seriously reconsider ever going back to that doctor again. You went through a lot of hell needlessly.

This post is rather interesting to me because I had a diagnosis of gasteroparesis (sp?) prior to lap band; my surgeon and GI doctor new about this and did not say that I could not get the band because of it.

I am having some issues and am now wondering if my underlying GI issues have something to do with this ??

wow glad u are feeling better u must of lose weight durning this time also how much

Thank you for posting.

First of so sorry for everything that has happened to you!!

My friend who had gastric bypass had gastroparesis, a very serious condition. It is actually the vagus nerve that is damaged during this. food then moves slowly or stops moving through the digestive tract. I am so glad to hear you are getting better now.

That is actually one of my fears of getting fills, gastroparesis and stomach erosion from the band being to tight.

Sorry for all you have gone through and good luck to you in your future!!