Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yet ANOTHER surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Long post)

Hi Friends-

Feeling a little discouraged today and need to feel some love. I haven't shared with many here, but I have been having lots of problems since having my infected port removed at the end of December:think . Although I relish in the compliments of how good I look and how well I am doing with my weight loss, I have been too embarrassed to admit to my friends here that I am vomiting a minimum of 2-6 times per day!!! :help: Yes, I KNOW I'm too tight.:bananadoggywow: But I feel helpless in that I can't just go into the office like others and get a slight unfill in 5 minutes. I can keep liquids down and depending on the time of day, the food, and whatever unknown factors my fickle little band decides on....Generally I can't keep much more than 2-3 bites down at a time.

I was perfectly restricted (thank God) with my last fill just 2 weeks before the port had to come out. But since the port removal, for some unknown reason...I have been even tighter. My wonderful doc has been very surprised at this, since there should have been a small amount of fill loss when he had to clamp and cap off the portless end of the band and hide it in my abdominal cavity. So now we are almost in May, and over the past 4 months...I have been experiencing worsening signs of being too tight....with no further fills!!! I have lost more weight, which should have made the band losen...not tighten!!!

The acid reflux started in January and has worsened and worsened. I made an initial call to the office early on and asked for some Nexium. It worked well at first, but then not anymore. I never called the office back to let them know the agony I was going through because I knew what the answer was.....YET ANOTHER SURGERY because I was too tight!!! I have always thought....."ooh big deal" for people who mention they have acid reflux. But let me tell you, for those of you who have never experienced it...thank your lucky stars!! Mine is now so bad that I am sleeping with my head elevated on 4-5 pillows every night, and still waking up choking on mouthfulls of stomach acid and literally GASPING for air! This morning I finally had enough when I woke up and VIOLENTLY vomited mouthfuls of pure acid immediatley after waking (having not even eaten anything for 8 hours prior).

When I finally got the nerve to call my doc this morning and let them know what was going on, they stressed the urgency of me being seen and got me in to see the doc within 2 hours. He had a good old fashion talk with me and let me know how worried he was about my band, especially if this continued. He all along has felt so bad for all of my complications...not only does he say it, but I can see it in his face. The plan right now is that he is going to have his nurse call the facilities he works with to see what if anything we can do to get the costs down. And he is waiving his normal surgical fees all together (which unfortunately the majority of the cost is anesthesia and facility charges). Problem is.....I know this is a necessary step...but spending more money on this band is just so difficult for us right now. My husband has been so incredibly supportive, but I can tell even he is getting frustrated.

Now here's my problem.....Problem mostly comes from being self pay and not having any more money to blow on this experience. The total cost of the original surgery topped out over $17,000.....then add in the cost of an unexpected hospital stay related to an accidental 'knicking of an artery' during my first fill resulting in internal bleeding topping out over $13,000........luckily the removal of the port was covered by my insurance since due to the massive infection it was deemed 'medically necessary'.....Now add in the cost of approximately $5,000 more to have the port put back in. I guess the real kicker of the whole things is that the infection could happen all over again...no guarantees. So we are talking costs now totaling in excess of $30,000...with no guaranteed end in sight.:tired

So friends...what should I do?? Try to wait it out and go against his advice until I can someday truly afford it?...thus gambling with the possibility of slippage, erosion, Barrett's esophogus, or even esophogeal cancer.....Be on liquids and mushies the rest of my life.... okay...okay...you're right I think I already know the answer:faint:

Thanks for letting me vent. Love you all!

Rockin Robyn-

Please accept that I truly feel so sad for you!! I can't imagine the struggle you are going through....can feel your pain!!!

I am a Physicians Assistant....know a little....you need to get the surgery again!! I am praying for a miracle in your finances....that God would miraculously supply for EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!! What your doing right now is not safe to continue....by the way, don't sleep on extra pillows that increases pressure in your abdomen....have your husband put blocks under the head of your bed about 6-8"....the gravity keeps things down better without increasing your abdominal pressure.

I will be praying for a MIRACLE in your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -37lbs :bananadoggywow:

MelodyJ-

Thanks so much for the advice of the pillows! I'm an RN...so that makes sense to me, but I wouldn't ever have though about the abd pressure thing. Maybe the reason it has been getting worse and worse is because I have been adding more and more pillows! (Just kidding...I know that's not the reason). Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, and keep the prayers coming.

Robyn

Oh Robyn,

I am so, soooo sorry you are going thru this.

What an ordeal for you--and your family. I wish I had something wise to say, but there really aren't any words.

I know you know the answer to your question. It comes down to your money or your life, doesn't it?

Please let us know how you're doing. We'll be think of and praying for you.

Robyn since your an RN you only need two words.

ASPIRATION PNEUMONIA

You know that could be serious enough in and of itself to cause DEATH. Money is not worth your life. Get it done and pay it out.

Myra (an old ICU nurse)

Robyn, I'm so sorry you are going through this! Please keep us updated. I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers!!! (((((HUGS)))))

**Edited because I read though the post better and realize my question was already answered in the first post**

How come the doctor didn't cover the $13,000 cost for the accidental knicking issue? I would think that they would cover when they make mistakes since it's cheaper then a lawsuit.

I feel so bad for you that is just awful what has happened so far and can't beleive the money you've spend. I've also spent 17,000 on the surgery and think I'd just die if I had that much more additional out of pocket. That's unreal.

I've got a tight fill and know "kinda" what that acid is like at night but not to the extend you've experienced it. I just pray for you to get better.

Rockin Robin~ This comes down to you...gotta do, what you gotta do,...and that is get your band all fixed up and stop risking losing your band all together.Your health is the most important thing so make that surgery date!! I'll be thinking about you ... and Praying for your recovery!! ((((HUGS))))

Robin,

re: reflux

I -also- suffer with nighttime reflux every now and then. Ive tried everything. Meds, pillows, drinking a gallon of Water to flush out the pouch, not eating late....

but the one thing that has helped me lately is when I go to bed and get that heaviness feeling (start of reflux), I get up and pb - to completely empty my pouch. When my pouch is completely empty - I dont have any problems with reflux.

Even though I *thought* my pouch was empty when I went to bed, Im shocked to see the things that come up with that pb.

TMI???

Thanks so much guys for the support. I just left a little while to go to Walmart to get more Protein shakes. I haven't kept anything down all day. My hubby thought it might be 'soothing' to my band to try some ice cream. Couldn't even keep that down:omg: ....weird. I just hope nothing more than being overfilled is the issue here.

Paula...thanks for that little tidbit. Not too much info at all. I'm desperate at this point and would try almost anything......

OMG, babydoll....I feel horrible for you. Try the acid blockers, Prilosec, and do whatever your doc suggests. I don't know what else to suggest. HUGS!and get better what ever it takes!

Robin, I hope they can get you in asap! I've been through the nighttime reflux and it's absolutely horrible. Any idea when they will do the surgery? If you can't keep liquids down you're going to get dehydrated fast (I know you know that, I'm just worried about you... ). :bananadoggywow: (((HUGS)))

Hey Robyn, just saw your post. I had no idea things were that tough for you. :bananadoggywow: I knew you had to have your port removed, but didn't know your day-to-day life was so tough w/ all the vomiting & complications. My impression of Dr. H so far is that he truly is compassionate. Although he's rushed & doesn't have a lot of time, he does always really listen to what you say, and you can tell that he's processing it & not just letting it go in one ear & out the other. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, and you never know - maybe he'll be able to convince the facility & anesthesiologist to waive their fees, or at least greatly reduce them. He has certainly sent enough business their way!

I'll send you a PM, and see you tomorrow night if I can make it.

Robin,

I hope you are able to get this taken care of soon!! I will be praying that god sends some help to you and ends your suffering.

I agree with Melody, put some boards under the head of the bed, It will definately help!!(and get rid of the extra pillows)

Oh, Robyn, I know how you feel with the reflux, but can't imagine how frustrating it must be with no port to get the Fluid out! :bananadoggywow: I'm so sorry you're going through this.

My recent bout of reflux had me sleeping in a reclining chair for a month. Even then I'd wake up occasionally with Fluid filling my mouth. But it did turn out that an unfill fixed the problem--there was nothing more wrong than being too tight. But I think PBing and vomiting just makes the problem worse!

If I were you I'd stick to liquids ONLY until you can figure out what else to do. Don't even try to eat solid food; it just isn't going through. It's going to hang out in your pouch or esophagus, irritating things and making the situation worse. I learned that the hard way. PLEASE stick to Protein drinks, clear if you can handle it, and non-acidic beverages (no o.j. or Tomato juice). Prevacid helped me too, but I really think it was the unfill that made the most difference.

Good luck, and PLEASE take care! Every vomiting episode may be prolonging your misery. Take it easy!!!