Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

dr diet restrictions

Hi everyone. My Dr. Has a very strick diet that he expects us to follow' not that I always do. He does not allow any Soup, oatmeal, milk or juice in any phase. I assumed that this was the norm but I know when I search for recipes for lap band I do see Soups, I am curious as to what other Dr. Are advising. I cannot drink and eat at the same time which was probably one of the most difficult adjustments for me in the beginning. So since the soup is liquid with solid, I have a VERY difficult time with it and I assumed that was why my Dr. Advised against it. This is what my Dr. Recommends for the different phases and when ever you get a fill you have to start with Clear Liquids for the 1st 24 hrs and then move onto phase one for 2 days, phase 2 for 2 days, phase 3. Phase 1= 3shakes a day and liquids, phase 2= shakes for 2 out of 3 meals one meal should be pureed/soft. Phase 3= shakes for 2 out of 3 meals one meal of regular consistency.

The only carbs you should costume should be in the form of vegetables and fruit, all Protein should be lean, no red meat. Shakes also need to meet a criteria 110 max calories, 15-25 grams of protein,4 grams max of carbs, 3 grams max fat. Like I said I don't always stick to it but it is easy to stick to if I am in the green zone. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

That is definatly more strict than my diet, and unfortunatly I do believe you should follow the diet of YOUR surgeon and no body else's. That being said, I think it's okay to have some things in moderation. If you have milk once a week I doubt it will hurt you. We all got fat from overeating, not because we had skim milk or Soup here and there. But again, I am just a patient too and not a nutritionist.

Good luck!!

i dont really understand your post or all the phases. I dont eat the stuff he said because they are pretty much sliders and wont satisfy you. the juce because its loaded with sugar. As far as fiils I was always told one day liquid one day mushy and then solids. once on solids i dont drink any my Protein normally. sometimes during my tom i have to do shakes because i am so tight. hope this helps you some.

I don't think of it as a diet but a lifestyle. If I could lose weight on a diet I wouldn't need surgery. There are certainly some guidelines like Protein and drinking w meals, but other than that, I need to make healthy eating a choices my lifestyle, and can try anything, in moderation.

I think everyone is different with different needs.

I personally don't deprive myself of anything except carbonation. Otherwise, I eat what I want just in bandster portions. I believe in moderation not deprivation.

I don't limit carbs but I do try to make sure the ones I eat are healthy. I do keep my fat intake under 25% and eat at least 60g of Protein a day. I track my calories religiously.

Again this is strictly me, but I could never be successful on a diet as limiting as the one you're on. I got my band to change my lifestyle not deprive myself of the things I enjoy.

You need to follow your doctor's orders, but also be realistic.

If you cannot follow his diet then you gotta go discuss it with him and try to figure out an eating plan that works for you and will be healthy for your band

I too, was told to avoid Soup as it's empty calories, but honestly I cannot always do that, so I told my doctor and he said OK just be careful

Hey, my doctor just told me i should be on a purred diet. I am eating tuna fish, Jello, pudding and greek yogurt. As far as for Protein im drinking Isopure. 40grams of protein in a 20oz bottle. 0 carbs. My doctor is not that strict on to what i should eat. He just said make sure all foods are purred and easy to swallow and chew slowly. Hopes this helps!!! Good luck!