Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Silly ? Regarding caffeine

So the pollen in my area has caused me to have complete laryngitis. Dr recommended hot liquids, I.e. tea/coffee. Right now, all I have is chai tea (not decaffeinated). I know we are supposed to avoid caffeine because it is a diuretic but if I drink extra Water, is it harmful to have 3-4 cups of tea?

I can't actually "talk" to anyone so I'd like to hear everyone's opinions.

TIA

Depends on what your doctor recommends? Most docs wouldn't really care, but your own doc knows your medical history and may know something we don't know?

I know for me, it would be fine. I'd be peeing like an old man though(wait, I am an old man) :(

Depends on what your doctor recommends? Most docs wouldn't really care' date=' but your own doc knows your medical history and may know something we don't know?

I know for me, it would be fine. I'd be peeing like an old man though(wait, I am an old man) :([/quote']

Thanks for your input! I shouldn't have any problems - plus, I'm only doing this for a few days until my voice comes back. Most likely will buy some Decaf tea/coffee tomorrow so one day can't really hurt (famous last words, lol?)

FYI - you're not an old man! You're as old as you feel ;-)

I'm thinking you are fine. My doctor has never made any restrictions on coffee or tea. I drink coffee every morning.

i drink coffee every morning as well. I thought i would have to quit, but it is not a problem for me.

Thanks! Feel better knowing I'm not alone :-)

The is an old conversation that pops up every once in a while. My Dr. gave me no restrictions on Coffee/Tea or any other caffeinated drinks. Last time I saw a study it said the diuretic effects of caffeine are over blown. 90% of the liquid I consume on a daily basis is caffeinated, and it has never affected my hydration.

Your Dr.s opinion my be different, YMMV

My post-op packet advises no caffeine but I honestly think it's because most caffeinated drinks usually means lots of sugar. Obviously I'm not getting an XL coffe with sugar and sugary flavor etc.

Thanks for all the input!

I would ask your band Doctor just to make sure I heard and I say this is hear say so I REALLY DON'T know but if you drink too much caffeinated drinks it will erode your band so like I said I don't know how ever I do drink a glass of tea no sugar every once in a while, hope this helped just ask your band Doc to make sure if that person is alright with you asking questions I know mine is , he answers all my questions any time , I really like that.

My doctors instructions were to limit coffee/caffeine to 8oz per day because excessive coffee drinking will actually counteract any Calcium absorbed by the body. Therefore, long term, could lead to deficiencies since our consumption is on the lower end already. I can't see the issue with short term use to sooth the laryngitis, but as always better to double check with the doctor before going off plan. Hope you feel better soon!

No comment for the tea/coffee, but for the list voice. I've had this more than once and the last time the doctor told me not to talk for three days or I might cause damage. He said if I just had to talk do it as normal as possible. Don't whisper. He says whispering actually causes more strain.

I drink as much coffee now as I ever have, band or no band....my Dr.knows this...does not say a word other than discussions on what coffees we like and dislike....and how we brew them.

So the pollen in my area has caused me to have complete laryngitis. Dr recommended hot liquids, I.e. tea/coffee. Right now, all I have is chai tea (not decaffeinated). I know we are supposed to avoid caffeine because it is a diuretic but if I drink extra Water, is it harmful to have 3-4 cups of tea?

I can't actually "talk" to anyone so I'd like to hear everyone's opinions.

TIA

on my pre op, my dr wanted me off caffeine (no idea why) but after surgery, he had no restrictions..i guess whatever your doctor says...as i type this i am drinking an xlarge black coffee from dunkin doughnuts....yeah baby

I'm not a doctor, but I do know that caffeine did not make me fat, overeating did. That being said even though I have been "reccomended" to not have coffee except for Decaf, I do have my regular coffee, only one cup and not every day either. Everything in moderation!! (and my band is the moderation LOL)

Good Luck =)

I drink hot Water every morning. Which can help your throat. You could always add a little lemon to it as well. My surgeon suggests no coffee because of what people add to their coffee. I like it plain Americano, espresso, cold brew...