Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flight Attendants in the group?!

Are there any other Flight Attendants in the group? I've been banded since Apr 4 2013 and I was just wondering how it was flying with the band.

I have not heard of anyone having any problems. I read a book written by a flight attendant who was banded about her journey. I do not recall her having any issues either. Sorry I do not remember the name of the book off hand.

Are there any other Flight Attendants in the group? I've been banded since Apr 4 2013 and I was just wondering how it was flying with the band.

I'm not a flight attendant but I did ask my surgeon before my vacation if there were any specific instructions to follow when flying and she had a printout all ready with what to do. Basically, no eating in the air...no eating a couple of hours prior to the flight, and no eating for an hour after landing. I followed those rules and had no issues while in the air. You should check with your doctor if he or she has any rules for flying.

What about when you fly internationally? All that not eating doesn't seem feasible.

I'm not a flight attendant but I did ask my surgeon before my vacation if there were any specific instructions to follow when flying and she had a printout all ready with what to do. Basically' date=' no eating in the air...no eating a couple of hours prior to the flight, and no eating for an hour after landing. I followed those rules and had no issues while in the air. You should check with your doctor if he or she has any rules for flying.[/quote']

I'll have to figure it out, because I would never be able to eat if I followed those rules. I'm on the airplane anywhere from 8-10 hrs a day.

Not a flight attendant, but frequent flyer so discussed the issue with my doctor...he only warned against flying for the first few weeks post-op because of blood clot risk. Otherwise he had no special rules/warnings...not banded yet myself (May 15th is my surgery date), so can't speak from experience. I am only worried about gas/expansion at altitude.

I'll have to figure it out, because I would never be able to eat if I followed those rules. I'm on the airplane anywhere from 8-10 hrs a day.

yeah...it's different as your job is all about flying...not someone who flies 'recreationally'. Again.. you should speak with your surgeon....don't figure it out on your own..they are there to advise and give direction.

I am a flight attendant and sometimes when I'm flying it does seem to tighten up but it's not terrible. I just have to be very mindful of it and eat very slow! But I can still eat and you should be able to too. Just go easy and eat slow!

I fly internationally quite frequently and I'm really surprised to read a doctor said no eating before, during or after a flight. My flights are 12-14 hours long! I'd keel over if I didn't eat before, during or after! Maybe for a short domestic flight that rule is feasible, but I'm going to check with my surgeon (who also does a lot of internationally flying) before my next longhaul.

I went in for a band fill about 6 weeks ago and told my PA that I was going to fly from Seattle to Tucson in 2 weeks. He refused to give me a fill because the band would get tight during the flight. He was right. I did tighten up a bit on the trip down so I only did liquids the first 1 and half days there and then slowly went to solids, but no problem coming back. Heard of a lady who flew from Sea to chico and was so tight she did not even take Water for 2 or 3 days. My doctor said no flying until 2 weeks after fill, but the PA would not fill even though it would have been 2 weeks and 1 day. Glad I did not have the fill and lost weight on vacation too. Had to buy smaller sized pants to come one in and that never happened on a vacation before.