Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Purpose of the Complications Forum

Yesterday I posted some links with helpful information for those seeking revision published by a very well respected revision surgeon along with his comments about Lapband. So often we who have complications are told its our fault, the band doesn't fail, you overrate, ate too fast, didn't chew enough, ate the wrong foods, didn't call the doctor soon enough, etc. Dr Kesheshian's opinion of the band gives those who have complications some relief that the band can fail, cause lifelong complications and its not our fault.

This forum should be a safe place to discuss complications, free of criticism, judgement and bullying. If you are having no complications, by all means, read the posts, but please abstain from telling anyone they shouldn't post negative threads. I'm in need of some support too. I'm also trying to help others like me reach out for help with their band troubles. They're not going to do that if every time someone posts on here, everyone joins in, attempting to discredit them.

Right now, I'm scared, anxious and trying everything possible to keep my band. I don't want to lose the tool that helped me lose 90 lb, but I also cannot in good conscience recommend it to someone investigating WLS. My story isn't unique. Motility issues are more and more common in long term band patients. Most of the people I know who encouraged me to get my band have had complications and have had their bands removed/revised. It's scary when it happens to you, especially when you didn't cause the problems by noncompliance. I hope none of you ever experiences this misery...

Yesterday I posted some links with helpful information for those seeking revision published by a very well respected revision surgeon along with his comments about Lapband. So often we who have complications are told its our fault, the band doesn't fail, you overrate, ate too fast, didn't chew enough, ate the wrong foods, didn't call the doctor soon enough, etc. Dr Kesheshian's opinion of the band gives those who have complications some relief that the band can fail, cause lifelong complications and its not our fault.

This forum should be a safe place to discuss complications, free of criticism, judgement and bullying. If you are having no complications, by all means, read the posts, but please abstain from telling anyone they shouldn't post negative threads. I'm in need of some support too. I'm also trying to help others like me reach out for help with their band troubles. They're not going to do that if every time someone posts on here, everyone joins in, attempting to discredit them.

Right now, I'm scared, anxious and trying everything possible to keep my band. I don't want to lose the tool that helped me lose 90 lb, but I also cannot in good conscience recommend it to someone investigating WLS. My story isn't unique. Motility issues are more and more common in long term band patients. Most of the people I know who encouraged me to get my band have had complications and have had their bands removed/revised. It's scary when it happens to you, especially when you didn't cause the problems by noncompliance. I hope none of you ever experiences this misery...

MsMaui - this post is one I can wrap my head AND my heart around. Had you included your personal struggles in your post yesterday, I highly doubt the barrage of retaliation would have hit. As mentioned in my earlier post, had you included a blurb about why you were posting the article, it would not have come off like a negative gangbuster.

I'm sorry to hear of all your issues. It's certainly not what any of us want or expect when going into this surgery. I hope you find resolution that is a livable solution. We have all suffered with the plague of obesity. Otherwise, we would not have resorted to such an extreme solution. None of the procedures are perfect, and it's about finding an alternative that will help you save your life, without killing you at the same time.

Again.....so sorry that you're going through all of this. It sounds awful!

A very good post with some VERY good points. Sometimes when I read the posts in this particular forum, I ask myself why those who aren't experiencing difficulties, are so vocal in support of the band, IN A COMPLICATIONS FORUM. There are PLENTY of support forums.

I try to NEVER, EVER let the poster's name determine whether I "like" a post or not. I've read helpful post from people who have no complications, like myself, and from people who have had issues with their band.

I wish you much success in your future with OR without your band.

You need to realize two things:

1. What forum you post a topic in is irrelevant. It comes up on the right side of the page and people respond. No one bothers to look at what category it's under.

2. This is a forum. People are going to respond and there is no guarantee you're going to like their responses. When you post something that you know is going stir the pot then either be prepared to deal with the backlash or get a blog where you can post without dealing with responses.

I wish nothing but the best for you and my heart goes out to you with your issues, but your personal issues have nothing to do with making posts that many of us feel the need to defend because they're either not painting a full picture or just plain incorrect. If you want to make a post about what you're dealing with personally you'll get nothing but support and compassion I'm sure. But don't make the mistake of trying to mix those personal issues in with topics that are sure to trigger defensive responses. Keep them separate for your own sake.

A very good post with some VERY good points. Sometimes when I read the posts in this particular forum' date=' I ask myself why those who aren't experiencing difficulties, are so vocal in support of the band, IN A COMPLICATIONS FORUM. There are PLENTY of support forums.

I try to NEVER, EVER let the poster's name determine whether I "like" a post or not. I've read helpful post from people who have no complications, like myself, and from people who have had issues with their band.

I wish you much success in your future with OR without your band.[/quote']

Agreed! The biggest criticisms seem to come from those without complication....I'll also agree that the original poster tone isn't warm and fuzzy but she IS posting in the complications forums....from the heart of a failed bandster I combed these boards when life with my band was going south....some topics are helpful, some are flat out stupid. If its not directed at you and doesn't involve you why get your panties in a bunch?

I don't get it.....

If its not directed at you and doesn't involve you why get your panties in a bunch?

I don't get it.....

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

---Unknown

Nope, don't have complications (yet), don't have any personal animosity towards MsMaui (actually like her). Nor do I really care what forum she chooses to post in, if I believe that her (or anyone's) posts are biased against the band and out of context I will speak up and give what I believe is the other side of the story. Frankly I would take the same path on someone who downplayed the risks of being banded. Personally, I don't care which WLS people choose, I made the choice for myself and they can too. But I would hate to think that I might of passed on the benefit of the band because someone only told me part of the story.

She quoted a Dr. (Who did all three WLS) who said the band was the least effective. Alex put up a video clip with a Dr. (Who did all three WLS) as saying the band was the most effective and backed it up by having it installed in his own body.

Neither of those Dr.s is the whole story, it is only when you hear BOTH sides do you start to understand the truth.

I think talking on a personal level about your complications is a lot different than posting a generic post that denegrates the band. Yes, people get their knickers in a bunch, and they will if anyone makes out that they're somehow silly for having made the choices they have. I'm like Terry though, I don't care what anyone else does, I just care about the choices I've made.

In a thread I started, you actually suggested to me that everyone you know who decided on a band replacement (I'm not sure who 'everyone you know' is) regretted it, had their replacement band removed and asked why I didn't just revise to a sleeve. I was very precise about explaining why I made the decision I made, but to be honest, I don't know that my thought process on it was really any of your business, considering I was asking for experiences with band replacements. But I answered because it's a forum, and people of all walks will discuss things so that all sides of the story can be discussed, including the very valid, and very positive reasons I'm choosing to have a replacement.

I understand your band complications frustrate you, and you don't want others to go through what you are going through. But I have had nothing but good experiences with the band, aside from this leak, so I will be a counterpoint to your arguments, and I actually would recommend the band based on my experiences. And I don't think it's wrong for anyone who HAS NOT had complications to post in here, because that's a positive story as well. And I think all those sides should be heard. If you only hear bad things, you do not get a balanced view, and heaven knows that this forum already has enough horror stories that, imo, aren't truly representative of the banded population. Posting their experiences is NOT the same as insinuating that the failure of the band MUST be your fault, but I didn't see anything that said that in that last thread anyway.

I think talking on a personal level about your complications is a lot different than posting a generic post that denegrates the band. Yes, people get their knickers in a bunch, and they will if anyone makes out that they're somehow silly for having made the choices they have. I'm like Terry though, I don't care what anyone else does, I just care about the choices I've made.

In a thread I started, you actually suggested to me that everyone you know who decided on a band replacement (I'm not sure who 'everyone you know' is) regretted it, had their replacement band removed and asked why I didn't just revise to a sleeve. I was very precise about explaining why I made the decision I made, but to be honest, I don't know that my thought process on it was really any of your business, considering I was asking for experiences with band replacements. But I answered because it's a forum, and people of all walks will discuss things so that all sides of the story can be discussed, including the very valid, and very positive reasons I'm choosing to have a replacement.

I understand your band complications frustrate you, and you don't want others to go through what you are going through. But I have had nothing but good experiences with the band, aside from this leak, so I will be a counterpoint to your arguments, and I actually would recommend the band based on my experiences. And I don't think it's wrong for anyone who HAS NOT had complications to post in here, because that's a positive story as well. And I think all those sides should be heard. If you only hear bad things, you do not get a balanced view, and heaven knows that this forum already has enough horror stories that, imo, aren't truly representative of the banded population. Posting their experiences is NOT the same as insinuating that the failure of the band MUST be your fault, but I didn't see anything that said that in that last thread anyway.

I apologize if I offended you. I was concerned about you having an unnecessary surgery, that's all. I'm 63, I hate to see a young person with the problems I have... The complications forum is the right place for me to post my issues, relevant information and frustration. There's no need to read my posts or comment if you disagree, but I'm stating the experience of myself and others who are having an awful time. It's really disheartening to constantly be criticized. I'm truly near the end of my rope.

Yeah I don't relish having had so many operations myself, and despite my post above, I did understand that you were posting out of concern. I wasn't going into it with my eyes closed, though, and I wanted you to know that.

I am still unsure though what you had hoped to achieve with that last post you posted. Was it a discussion you were after? Because I think that's what you got. If it was just for information, then it may well be that the content you posted actually came across as a little bit condescending to those that chose the band.

Either way, I personally have never had anything but support here in the complications forum, so maybe, just maybe, what you posted came across in the tone you didn't intend (or did intend), in which case, people responded to the tone of the post more than to YOUR specific complication(s). I hope you geniunely seek and get support here in the complications forum for your complications, and that you find peace in whatever happens in the future for you.

Maui why are you always involved in some turmoil on this website. Think about it.

wow.....scared already!

no need to be...any surgery, dentist visit and even pedicures can have complications

things happen..good and bad...sometimes its a risk worth taking..

10 moths ago i could hardly walk and today i am walking with no problem

i am glad i took that risk.......and if something happens, i will deal with it with my dr.

the band and any wls can and does save lives........remaining fat/obese is not a way to live.

thanks for the encouragement.....decided last friday to start the process so thought i would join forum. right now i can hardly walk and i know its the weight. i am prepared for whatever happens cos it doesn't get worse than high blood pressure and no action taken. tried every nutrition program, every weight loss meds, i hardly eat n still not losing anything. its time.

thanks for the encouragement.....decided last friday to start the process so thought i would join forum. right now i can hardly walk and i know its the weight. i am prepared for whatever happens cos it doesn't get worse than high blood pressure and no action taken. tried every nutrition program, every weight loss meds, i hardly eat n still not losing anything. its time.

atta girl.......that was me also..scared out of my mind, people telling me all sorts of things good and bad and i was a deer in the head lights.....WTF you know......the point is you wont know until you do it...i can sit here and say its a piece of cake and on but each person will be different...some lose fast, some slow, some not at all......you lose for you.....

yes good and bad happen but what if it doesnt and you get well??? def seems worth it to me

hang in there