Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I gain weight before surgery

I feel like I'm mourning food so I'm eating everything I can. Mental I'm scare after this surgery I won't be able to eat foods that I love. I know it sounds stupid and crazy but it seem like the closer I get to my surgery the more I'm eating. I've gain 15 pounds in a month. My paperwork for approval won't be submitted til June of this year. I don't understand how to stop this mental panic. I was barely qualified for the surgery when I first saw my dr, now I'm almost over qualified. I need to work on this ASAP.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

You're right, it is crazy. You can still eat the foods you love, only you won't be able to eat them by the wheelbarrow anymore. No one can take the spoon out of your hand but you.

Most all of us had some kind of attach before being banded but 15 lbs could make your doc cancel your surgery if you can't get yourself under control by June.

​My dietitian told me I have zero restrictions on foods, just eat smart. I have given up a lot of my favorites and I don't miss most of them. After dinner I use have a lot of ice cream, about one pint-don't miss ice cream. I have a spoonful sometimes from my husband, but it means nothing to me anymore. My go to Breakfast was french toast (i don't eat eggs). I had 1/2 a piece in a restaurant and it did nothing for me, too. Being thinner and healthier means more to me than ever before. When I ate a burger or other foods in restaurants I always had french fries, no more. I have had maybe 1-3 of hubs. Just say what is more important to me. Only you can answer that question. About gaining weight before the band, the reason you have to lose is to get the fat around the liver out of there. Doctors don't do the surgery if the liver is fatty.

I wish you luck.

I feel like I'm mourning food so I'm eating everything I can. Mental I'm scare after this surgery I won't be able to eat foods that I love. I know it sounds stupid and crazy but it seem like the closer I get to my surgery the more I'm eating. I've gain 15 pounds in a month. My paperwork for approval won't be submitted til June of this year. I don't understand how to stop this mental panic. I was barely qualified for the surgery when I first saw my dr' date=' now I'm almost over qualified. I need to work on this ASAP.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk[/quote']

I will just say that I did the same thing. It's not good. It's not healthy. I felt like I was binging for the months leading up to surgery. The thing I'll tell you us that if I had not gained the extra 15lbs, I would be down to a lower weight now. Good luck!

Thank you so much for replies. You guys are absolutely right my health is more important. I understand being on a two week diet before surgery is important or else he will cancel my surgery. Most importantly it's time for me to slowly start eating and getting mental prepared for this process. Like I mention earlier my paperwork for insurance approval will be submitted in June. I don't want to be 300pounds before pre-operation diet. I have to mental believe I not saying goodbye to food but saying hello to healthy eating and healthy relationship with food. I need to work on this.

Use this time to eat slowly, take smaller bites, listen to when your body is full vs when your head wants to be done. I learned quickly after banding that my body was the boss now....not my mind! And thank goodness for that...because my mind got me to be very fat and unhealthy.

Good luck to you!

Surgery can be canceled if too big???

I don't think it would be canceled because you are to big, it will be canceled because by gaining all that weight you will show you are not mentally ready for WLS. Do not fool yourself about what the lap band does. It will not keep you from eating. It is an appetite suppressant. If you are still eating when you are full it wont stop you. You will may feel some discomfort but you will learn to ignore that and eat anyway if that is your mind set. Good luck to you.

Your doc will put you on a 2 week pre surgery diet to shrink your liver. If you can't control yourself during that time, odds are, he/she won't operate.