Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Start pre-op diet in 2 days. Suggestions?

My surgery date for the lap-band is April 18th, and I'm starting the pre-op diet in 2 days. I'm excited but terrified at the same time- because I don't want to mess up my diet knowing how important it is to keep it right before surgery. I'm sitting here making a list of what I'm going to need to pick up from the store and what Vitamins I need to take. Any suggestions from anyone is so, so, so greatly appreciated. How did you feel the first few days after starting the diet, what's worked best for you in terms of feeling full enough?

Some things I'm allowed in any amount are crystal light, diet soda, sugar free Jello, and broth only Soups. I'm more concerned about what I can have in limited amounts, like no sugar added carnation instant breakfasts, low fat milk (lactaid for me) and chobani yogurt. I need to keep my Protein per day around 56 grams, which I feel like I won't know how to do without overdoing everything.

Some things I'm allowed in any amount are crystal light, diet soda, sugar free Jello, and broth only Soups. I'm more concerned about what I can have in limited amounts, like no sugar added carnation instant breakfasts, low fat milk (lactaid for me) and chobani yogurt. I need to keep my Protein per day around 56 grams, which I feel like I won't know how to do without overdoing everything.

Can you have Protein shakes? If you can have carnation instant Breakfast I don't see why you couldn't substitute it for a much healthier Protein shake. Being on such a limited diet, that would be the easiest way to get your Protein in. The good shakes have 20-30 grams of protein per shake.< /p>

I'm fairly certain I can do Protein Shakes, I did just email my nutritionist to double check. Thanks! I guess I'm just kind of psyching myself out about failing at it, like coming out of surgery and having my surgeon tell me they couldn't do it because my liver mass wasn't low enough. Just want to get it perfect.

I'm fairly certain I can do Protein shakes, I did just email my nutritionist to double check. Thanks! I guess I'm just kind of psyching myself out about failing at it, like coming out of surgery and having my surgeon tell me they couldn't do it because my liver mass wasn't low enough. Just want to get it perfect.

Emailing your nutritionist was a wise move :)

That would be perfect because then you could have a Protein shake as each "meal". You'd definitely get in your protein and you won't be as hungry.

To give you an example, I have a Body Fortress Protein Shake for Breakfast. (you can buy it Walmart, btw). Just one scoop of the powder has 26g of protein. Adding it to a cup of skim milk adds another 8g of protein. So, it's 34g of protein and 223 calories total. If you just had a protein shake for 2 meals a day you'd exceed your protein requirement (which is good!)

Good luck, it sounds like you're off to a great start!

To be honest, the first two days of the liquid diet were rough for me, I just had to keep re enforcing what my goal is and just ignor the hungries.

I mixed my Protein Shake with fat free milk and a couple of ice cubes, yummy. I am using Bari Care Protein Shakes, I bought them on the web. I have tried many shakes before, this by far does not feel like diet food. I am on day four now. Two more days, then one day clear liquid, next day surgery.

Something else I have used are cream of potato, Tomato, squash, celery, etc.. Soup. Find the 90 something fat free, then blend it to liquify any small pieces, microwave and enjoy. Lentil soup, black bean soup, they can all be puréed and really satisfy.

Don't forget, cream of wheat hot Cereal, even grits thinned in a pinch.

My favorite shake is Greek yogurt, three frozen strawberries, maybe eight blueberries, couple cubes of ice, about an ounce of fruit juice and trivia to taste.

Good luck! Hope this helps you.

Some things I'm allowed in any amount are crystal light' date=' diet soda, sugar free Jello, and broth only Soups. I'm more concerned about what I can have in limited amounts, like no sugar added carnation instant breakfasts, low fat milk (lactaid for me) and chobani yogurt. I need to keep my Protein per day around 56 grams, which I feel like I won't know how to do without overdoing everything.[/quote']

Did I read it correctly that you are allowed to have diet soda?? Sorry to pass judgement but your team is setting you up for potentially major issues if they haven't been forbidding diet soda for months now. No carbonation is allowed. It took me a couple of weeks to kick diet soda and that was 9 months ago.

My dietician gave me a hard time a few months back just for making low-cal root beer floats by sitting diet A&W out and letting it go flat (apparently carbonation never completely leaves soda).

You'd better kick it now or you're risking band problems after surgery.

You read it correctly haha i was told diet soda is okay during pre-op, deffinetly not post-op. I actually don't drink soda as it is (hate that bloated feeling) so it won't be an issue, wasn't planning on actually drinking it, just listing what was on the diet. But thank you!

Glad to hear it! Diet soda is a huge addiction for some so I was shocked to hear about it being okay right up to surgery. Good luck with your surgery--I am one day before you on the 17th :)

1- FOLLOW the DOC's Rules!!!!!!! (he isn't blowing hot air when he tells you these things)

2- This won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

3- Find a Protein Shake you like, but don't burn yourself out on once kind.

4- Find different flavors to things you like (jello, pudding, crystal light- I am a HUGE fan of Crystal Light Peach Mango Green Tea and Zero Vitamin Water)

5- Keep busy

6- DRINK

7- Hungry put something in you - the more you allow the hunger to set in the harder it is to control. So set a timer and drink, eat a Jello, a popcicle, something a few hours to prevent a deep hunger from taking over.

8- Have a buddy you can call and vent to when things get rough. My hubs was mine, I know he thought I was turning demonic at times.

9- Take it one step at a time- BREATH!!

My surgery date for the lap-band is April 18th' date=' and I'm starting the pre-op diet in 2 days. I'm excited but terrified at the same time- because I don't want to mess up my diet knowing how important it is to keep it right before surgery. I'm sitting here making a list of what I'm going to need to pick up from the store and what Vitamins I need to take. Any suggestions from anyone is so, so, so greatly appreciated. How did you feel the first few days after starting the diet, what's worked best for you in terms of feeling full enough?[/quote']

I am on day #9 those first few days are ruff but then your body becomes use to it I do sugar free and the vanilla Protein shake from GNC I'm on the home stretch mine is Wed good luck to you and always remember your end goal!!

My surgery date for the lap-band is April 18th, and I'm starting the pre-op diet in 2 days. I'm excited but terrified at the same time- because I don't want to mess up my diet knowing how important it is to keep it right before surgery. I'm sitting here making a list of what I'm going to need to pick up from the store and what Vitamins I need to take. Any suggestions from anyone is so, so, so greatly appreciated. How did you feel the first few days after starting the diet, what's worked best for you in terms of feeling full enough?

Hey! I'm on day 13 of my 2 week pre-op diet (surgery on Wednesday) and while the first few days are rough, know that it definitely gets easier sooner than later! For me, I was hungry and tired days 1-2 but by day 3 my energy was back up a little and I wasn't hungry all the time. I did have a few dreams about eating food and I'd wake up thinking I cheated and feel guilty, so don't be alarmed if your mind plays some tricks on you!

Definitely recommend Protein shakes so you can get enough Protein but also feel full. My doc said to not even bother with anything that has less than 20g/serving. I use Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement shakes in chocolate, strawberry and iced latte...and the GNC Go Lean 25 shakes in vanilla and pumpkin spice. I usually have 3-4 a day and supplement with broth, etc.

Thanks for all of the input! This morning I officially started the diet with some carnation instant and crystal light energy, etc. I've been sampling some friends different brands of Protein Powder to make sure I liked one before I spent all that money on them. So glad to have found this lap band forum, nice to talk to people other than my surgeon and team who have had the surgery or will be having the surgery. And everyone is so nice! Seriously, thanks!