Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maebessler, sounds similar to me, I like having more restriction or I will eat I have regained 30+ pounds. My best weight was 165, I was more comfortable around 175, stayed there for 2 years, and had my band loosened a bit and now I can get anything down and am gaining, but my band is at 9.5 on a 14cc band. I don't have any of the symptoms of it slipping, I don't know if my pouch is stretched or what. I need a buddy to get back on track. Keep trying!!

I agree with getting a second opinion about converting to a sleeve. Im glad you didn't just agree off hand.

I had my band removed after 3 years because my body could not support it. I wonder if it's similar for you since you have had other difficulties? Not necessarily "rejection", just cannot "support".

I would be careful in deciding to have another weight loss surgery of any kind. You might want to look at the most recent research on the causes of obesity -- how our bodies are programmed to store calories as fat and how to re-program it. www.healthysteps.com is a good place to look. There are a few videos with the surgeon, Robert Woodbury, that are very informative. He has patients who lose a lot of weight on the right "diet", who then decide they don't want weight loss surgery after all! Dr. Woodbury promises you will not be hungry on the diet he uses, which is a modified Mediterranean diet.

I, too, have had intestinal difficulties and then the Lap Band caused me great discomfort. I'm much happier with out it, though I have no regrets having it implanted. I am losing weight using recipes from Primal Cravings.

Hope this info is helpful (and makes sense!). I have a pinched nerve in my leg so am very distracted as I write this!

~hiddn

If anything is uncomfortable always ask the doc if that or a second opinon or pcp's can't find anything and anytime you are in that much pain I know if it was me I would go immediately to the E.R. as they have more equipment and more Staff on hand to figure out what might be happening , I just found out this week that my band is laying flat , doc is not worried , since I am losing just fine he just doesn't like the way it's laying , so I may have to go for him just to make sure everything is o k & in place so I am not worried but we will see in 4 weeks what my doc wants to do , Hopefully I don't have a leak but he said everything went down fine and stayed ,and I have 11 cc's in a 14 cc band and still losing so , I hope you get some kind of help and hopefully they can find out and you can get comfort and peace of mind.

Maebessler, sounds similar to me, I like having more restriction or I will eat I have regained 30+ pounds. My best weight was 165, I was more comfortable around 175, stayed there for 2 years, and had my band loosened a bit and now I can get anything down and am gaining, but my band is at 9.5 on a 14cc band. I don't have any of the symptoms of it slipping, I don't know if my pouch is stretched or what. I need a buddy to get back on track. Keep trying!!

Hi Christy my band is a 10cc band and the one nurse told me that optimum is like 9cc...I got to 170 and felt good but according to the bmi and weight guidelines I was still overweight...They say I should weigh 150..and that's the high side for weight. I know the band is a tool not a magic wand but it's frustrating to feel really good then start to gain weight back no matter what you do...uggghg

Hey thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions. I found a new GI doc and he cked me from the outside in. CT scan and repeat colonoscopy were normal. He, like my other GI, does not think it involves my band. Gave me a couple meds 1) Glycopyrrolate for stomach acids and hyoscamine. The Glycopyrrolate is to reduce stomach acids, slow movement and peptic ulcers. The glyco seems to have helped but it's side effects are as "almost" as bad as my stomach pain. I take it awhile, then I bk off. Anyway, I'm gonna hang in there with my band. Started my walking program again and gonna do my best to get these 15-20 pounds off, and pray this pain is gonna stay under control. I'll post if anything new develops! Prayers to everybody struggling. It's a constant battle, it seems. Even with this "tool."

I had surgery in 2007 and haven't had my band checked in 3 years. Was allergic to silicone before surgery and they did a skin test to see if after a week I would break out. I didn't so I got the surgery. Lost down to 219 pounds in the last 6 months have been going to dr to find out what is wrong. Legs, arms,numb, keep falling, dizzy, checked for MS, Lyme Diease , ALS, and can't find out what is wrong. Can only walk or stand a few minutes. Have gained weight because can't stand to exercise. One year ago could do an hour on elliptical. Ready to just give up all they do is give me antidepressants . Could my body be reject bad because of silicone allergy?

I too have that same question about band rejection...I am almost 3 years post surgery and lost 90lbs. But had a major issue last September with it "twisting" They pulled all the Fluid out and I gained back 30lbs from September to April..Then the real trouble began I had a fill and my own saliva had me throwing up so long story short the nurse practicioner wouldn't go in on the weekend I threw up 4 days straight..and the hospital wouldn't do anything bc my surgery was done in a surgery center.(I learned a lot about my choices over this issue.) Now with no Fluid my band acts like it is restricted. And I can eat like nobodys business. The surgeons answer is your body is rejecting it..(I have a plate and screws in my ankle for 20 years) so I'm not buying this one...I think there is something wrong with my band mechanically..,All my egds and barium x rays come back fine...Second opinion on Wednesday.....The original surgeon will only consider removal and I just want it fixed I did great up until the April major incident...I hope they figure something out for us bc I don't want to be any fatter and if given the opportunity I will eat...

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this - and (sadly) so happy to see someone else posting a symptom similar to mine. I had surgery in July 2013 and had excellent results for first year and my body felt great. Then around July 2014 i started having some reflux so i went in and had some fluid removed. from there i started having all sorts of issues feeling like my stomach was bloated with saliva that wasn't draining - and often i'd end up vomitting. it was really painful. so each month i'd see my doctor and he'd remove all the fluid for a month to let me stomach rest and then refill with a smaller amount. this happened back and forth for 6 months. in that time i had 2 upper GIs and 1 endoscopy and neither showed any issues with the band (no slippage). i also recently got a 2nd opinion and that doc said i might just be in a small # of ppl who can't tolerate any fluid in the band (or the band itself). in late Jan we tried putting 1CC in, and i had that removed last week. Was already sad thinking maybe i just can't tolerate any fluid - but honestly i'm still having stomach aches. that bloated feeling and i can feel that fluid isn't draining. i'll have to have a big cup of hot tea to get the fluid to finally release and drain past the band (it's a weird sensation).

my doc wants to revise to a sleeve but i'm not sure about it. i was happy to just leave the band in empty and keep going with my lifestyle changes, but i'm getting really scared that the stomach discomfort is continuing and maybe i need to have it removed... and then if i do - do i go to a sleeve? i'm not inclined to, but from what i've read it seems like doing both procedures at the same time is the more common practice.

oy.

-Anxious in Massachusetts

Just an update. Since my last posting, I've had xrays, a gallbladder ultrasound and an upper GI again. Everything still looks good they said. My band position was still at the proper placement from nearly 9 years ago. My heartburn is unbearable, even with just a Protein Shake. Ranitidine helps but it's only 2 doses per 24 hours. I feel like I need it every time something goes down my throat. There are times when I feel like I'm gonna pass out from not being able to get a deep enough breath and the chest pain makes me worry that it's my heart! Seriously, this past year, sometimes I think I'm really in bad shape to only be nearly 56. And to have had the stamina and strength I had before getting the lap band and losing the 65 lbs that I lost. *note here-I've gained back 20. I guess I'm just out of shape aerobically!

On a positive, the pain under my left rib is much better. Honestly it's bearable right now. I don't even think about it. Oh it flares up on occasion but it's very strange how it has settled down. It may be coincidental, but I've been on a 3 month regimen of oral Lamisil (one big toenail that was getting numb from a fungal infection that I couldn't get cleared up to save my life!) But it does make me wonder if my intestines could have been over run by candida??? I've got 2 weeks left. I'm anxious to see if the pain returns after a period of time off the Lamisil. I need to investigate a diet that will deter intestinal yeast growth. I know the Lamisil is hard on your liver.

Anyway, I've rambled but that's it. I did let my doc take 1/2 cc out to see if that would help my heartburn/chest situation. It hasn't. I had gained 6 lbs over the holidays and I'm having heck getting it off. Uggggh!

Hang in there everybody! We have to be our own advocate!

Peace and blessings!