Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone ever heard of your body rejecting the Band? I have a history of GI problems (pre/post band.) I have battled colitis, been diagnosed with IBS and latest episode of gastritis treated with 2 weeks of super strong antibiotics for h. pylori bacteria. I have been having pain since November, usually under my left rib area. I have not had any vomiting or pb's. My reflux has subsided since taking the anitbiotics and a month of Prevacid.

My GI doc says it is unrelated to my band. Scoping shows band is in correct position since banding 05/06. Barium in Dec showed slight dilation. Was completely unfilled for 6 weeks, recked, looked good and refilled slightly less than before (2cc.) Haven't lost any weight and still having episodes of extreme pain. I've had my gallbladder cked for stones and nothing. My band doc says he thinks my body is rejecting my band and wants me to consider removal and revising to the sleeve. I hate to do it. I'm at a loss and don't know how much longer I can deal with this intermittent extreme pain. It gets bad enough, I don't want to move, twist the wrong way or even breath too deep. During these episodes, I hold my midriff if I feel a cough or sneeze coming on.

Anybody have any thoughts?

It's rare but it is possible. The band is a foreign object so it is possible for your body to reject it.

When you say they checked your gallbladder for stones, how did they check? Did they do a CT scan with contrast?

Have you had blood work? Is your white blood cell count high? If you body is rejecting the band, the chances are good your white count would be elevated. Of course, this would also be true if you have any other infection.

Wow you poor thing, I am so sorry to here about your pain I never had this before, and hope I never do. I myself don't think I could handle the pain you are going threw. I hope somebody can post to this real soon to help you. I hope your pain goes away real soon. Take care and good luck. Keep your head up :) John

Hi Missy. They cked my gallbladder by ultrasound. (Funny thing, my mom had to have her gallbladder out and never had a stone.) And my primary care doc has never mentioned elevated wbc. (I never thought of that)

My band doc was really eager to do a sleeve revision when he told me that I may be rejecting and seemed a little put out when I told him I may need a second GI opinion? He was ready to get going on the insurance approval. I don't know what to do at this point. I'd like to ask for CT or MRI of my midsection to ck everything. I get this knotting and bloating with distension when this pain is at it's worst. I've been miserable tonight since about 6:30, to the point of thinking of going to the ER. But it's starting to subside now.

Thanks for your input!

Thanks John! ;)

I would absolutely get a second opinion. It's your body, it's crucial you are confident with your decision. Especially if it isn't the band- then you'd be without the band and still in pain.

I would also insist on CT scan with contrast of your midsection. Most insurance companies will require one before an MRI because of cost, but if you have it with contrast, it will show you a lot.

As far as the gallbladder, you most certainly can have it go bad without stones. I actually just had my gallbladder out last week so I guess it's very fresh in my mind. They say the pain is usually on the right side but mine wasn't. It was all over my stomach and came in waves (kinda similar to contractions).

Another thought- have you been checked for possible hernias?

I will definitely keep you in my prayers. Definitely get a second opinion before you do anything drastic, though.

Well, I would have thought with the barium swallow and EGD they could have seen but nothing was mentioned about a hernia. I get spasms in my intestines but that goes along with the IBS, I guess. I think I'm gonna find another GI doc to look everything over again or at least look at all my reports. ? Anyway thanks for the prayers Missy. I would hate to lose my band.

The band is made of silicone so it is highly unlikely that your body would reject it.

Is your port on the left? Could be tubing that is causing the pain. There have been a few reports of tubing wrapped around intestines causing severe pain.

Hope they figure it out for you soon.

Well I've had another bad week y'all! I'm going to call another GI doctor and go from there. @Dragonfly-my port sits just to right of the midline of my abdomen. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Nothing that I do or try seems to help. Missy, I'm going to insist on a CT scan with contrast. @ChezNoel....Thanks

All great ideas above, The CT Scan should give you some positive results. Just curious, how did they come to the conclusion that you have IBS? I ask because i just had a CT scan Thurs and my Internist thinks I have Diverticulitis, I've experienced the same pains that you've described as well as Severe, take your breathe away lower left pelvic pain. my band Doc said no way it was the band, but the nurse said the tubing is on the left.? I hope your feeling better soon! and keep us posted I'll know after seeing my Internist what my CT results are...

Jackie, I was diagnosed with IBS-C in '01 when an episode of ischemic ulcerative colitis landed me in the hospital for 3 days well before being banded in '06. Thing is, I've dealt with this episodic disease/disorder as far back as being 17/18 yrs old and never knew what it was or had the mind to have it checked into. I just remember dealing with the pain, being curled up in a ball. It has just gotten more frequent as I've aged. I have colonoscopies every 3 yrs and then as needed such as during one of these extreme bouts. I had a couple polyps removed during the colonoscopy before last. Not to give TMI, but before being put on Miralax daily, I've gone as much as 24 days without a BM. My whole system was toxic. Now with these episodes, I'm in the bathroom all the time. Ok, that's over.

Anyway, I'm going to try a new GI doctor. Hope you get answers with your CT. Not to be negative, but my brother lost about 6 inches of his intestine due to a ruptured diverticula. He did not have to have a colostomy but HAS to watch his diet, so it's serious stuff.

Good luck, keep me posted on what you find out!

I haven't posted for awhile. I have mixed feelings about the site. But. I had the band installed on nov 1, 2012. I got pneumonia and was vomiting with zero in the band. I got checked back in the hospital on 19 nov. My body rejected the band. My stomach completely wrapped up around the band and eroded a hole in the side of my stomach and food was going into my gut. I really don't remember the next couple days. But had surgery to have it removed and gut cleaned out. Also had surgery on my lung. Was in the hospital for over a month on feeding tube to my intestines while the stomach healed. Wasn't allowed to take anything by mouth for 3 weeks. Then was off work for another 3 months. I am told my stomach wrapped up to attack the band. I am not allergic to silicon. Also after the removed the wound-vac and stitched me closed. I rejected the stitches. They was put under the skin. But they got pushed to the surface.

I too have that same question about band rejection...I am almost 3 years post surgery and lost 90lbs. But had a major issue last September with it "twisting" They pulled all the Fluid out and I gained back 30lbs from September to April..Then the real trouble began I had a fill and my own saliva had me throwing up so long story short the nurse practicioner wouldn't go in on the weekend I threw up 4 days straight..and the hospital wouldn't do anything bc my surgery was done in a surgery center.(I learned a lot about my choices over this issue.) Now with no fluid my band acts like it is restricted. And I can eat like nobodys business. The surgeons answer is your body is rejecting it..(I have a plate and screws in my ankle for 20 years) so I'm not buying this one...I think there is something wrong with my band mechanically..,All my egds and barium x rays come back fine...Second opinion on Wednesday.....The original surgeon will only consider removal and I just want it fixed I did great up until the April major incident...I hope they figure something out for us bc I don't want to be any fatter and if given the opportunity I will eat...