Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeping after surgery

I know that everybody is different but I am curious how well everyone was able to sleep after surgery? I have heard that sleeping in a recliner helps but I don't have one. I always sleep on my stomach, how long did it take you to be able to comfortable sleep on your stomach? I'm assuming it will take a while. Is just piling up pillows on the bed to prop yourself up the best thing that I can do? I have read of people laying on their side with pillows under their stomach so it doesn't pull as much. What worked best for you,

I slept on the couch for 3 days after surgery, propped up with pillows just shy of sitting up. After that I went back to my bed sleeping on my side and 4-5 weeks out from surgery I could sleep on my stomach again. I sleep a lot better now, No more sleep apnea or heartburn to wake me up in the middle of the night.

I only had trouble the first 24hrs. After that was able to sleep in my bed on my side and slept very well. Vicodin helped a lot too.lol

I do have a sleep number bed, so I was able to make my bed a marshmellow and pillows do help.

I also slept propped on pillows and a heating pad on my sofa for the first 2-3 days. Then I was able to comfortably lie down in bed, but not on my stomach...took me another week before I was able to do that and a couple of days after that I was able to start sleeping on my side, yes, with the pillow propped up under my stomach to keep it from pulling. You would think that port weighs 10lbs or something with the way the pull felt right after surgery!

It took me almost a mont before I could sleep on my stomache comfortabally I usually start on my side then I end up on my stomache so I did the pillow trick that a lot of pillows like siting up & sleeping then one by one I would take off till it was comfortable and that worked for my back I used a hot water bottle an some people used a heating pad , even laying on my right side bothered me sometimes and my port is on the left so I really couldn't lay on that side at all for the month , so you have to just try diffrent things till u r comfortable but the liquid meds do help so much.

I was able to sleep in bed on my back and was able to tolerate being on my side off and on throughout the night and by the end of week 1 I had no issues. One thing to watch out for is if you have pets particularly Cats that like to jump up on you while you're sleeping as it could make you jump through the roof.

I was on night number 2 and my Cat jumped up on me in my sleep and man did I feel it. Woke me right up and I was in agony and more so I scared the heck out of my wife.

I was able to sleep in bed on my back and was able to tolerate being on my side off and on throughout the night and by the end of week 1 I had no issues. One thing to watch out for is if you have pets particularly Cats that like to jump up on you while you're sleeping as it could make you jump through the roof.

I was on night number 2 and my Cat jumped up on me in my sleep and man did I feel it. Woke me right up and I was in agony and more so I scared the heck out of my wife.

Very good point, Jim. I locked my three out of my room. Even on a good day that scares me.lol

sleeping was not an issue for me. I was able to sleep on my stomach per normal the next day at home. me thinks because of the amount of fat my stomach had, it was protecting the port area. odd ball yet again

sleeping was not an issue for me. I was able to sleep on my stomach per normal the next day at home. me thinks because of the amount of fat my stomach had, it was protecting the port area. odd ball yet again

:P I think that's why I had a real easy time (aside from the Cat) I had and still have a lot of fat protecting me. I must admit I almost missed some of that extra fat during these past winter months. I hated the cold before the band and I hate it now.

:P I think that's why I had a real easy time (aside from the Cat) I had and still have a lot of fat protecting me. I must admit I almost missed some of that extra fat during these past winter months. I hated the cold before the band and I hate it now.

while reading your cat post earlier jim, i remember when i went home the next day, i had to do the 2 shots per day in my tummy for blood clots and hub was getting ready to do it (he did them all) and i asked where were he gonna stick me, and he (i guess not thinking) tapped my tummy in the middle where my incision was and it kinda hurt.......i remember i started to tear up and he felt so bad.....oh, well, thought id share a silly (cat) moment :wacko:

I actually slept on my stomach from the day of surgery.

There is a trick a nurse taught me after my c-section over a decade ago. Usually sleeping on your stomach after abdominal surgery actually feels good. The pressure acts like a binder and helps relieve the pulling and pain. But, it will often hurt to lay on your side because it pulls, making rolling onto your stomach painful.

So, what you do is very carefully crawl up the bed on all fours then gently lower yourself onto your stomach. This way, it doesn't pull, When you get up, do the same in reverse, push up onto all fours and crawl so your feet can go off the bed.

I've done this after multiple abdominal surgeries over the years and it works like a charm every time.

I slept on my non port side from the first night til about night 4 or 5 when I could sleep on either side. Used a pillow between my legs and in front of me.

miss had a great description of what it took to get in and out of bed :-)

My advice is try several positions until you can rest comfortably. My hubby was told not to baby me too much so that made me move more which made me feel better sooner.

All the best ???¤

Thanks everyone for your replies! We have 2 cats and a dog, but they don't really get on the bed (the dog can't jump that high Lol). But... My 5 year old son on the other hand has been known to wake me up by doing a cannonball on my stomach lol , or literally laying on top of me! I will have to have a long talk or two with him before surgery. I'll have my wife sleep with him in his room (bunk bed) and I'll have the room to myself! :)

did not sleep on my stomach the 1st month. I propped the pillow to keep from rolling to my stomach. I slept in my bed without being propped up, laying flat. As I said, I just kept from rolling to my stomach. It is hard for a stomach sleeper the 1st few days! Karen