Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Year Bandiversary- Very grateful for the lapband and this website

Hi everyone, today is my actual 6th year anniversary. I was thinking 6 years ago this minute I was in surgery. And my life is completely different.

First I must say getting the band has been the best thing I've ever done.... But it is something I had to work at to get where I'm at.

I have to say this website was instrumental for many reasons.

1. Before I got the band, it gave me a clear picture of what to expect... The good and the difficulties. I was able to discern between people that were successful and people that had the band for a few years and didn't get anywhere. The successful people journaled their food, exercised and shared their issues to get solutions. When they fell off the wagon... They brushed themselves off and picked themselves off and started again.

I was scared when I read about people that didn't succeed but in reading further, I think they looked at the band as a magic solution rather then a tool to supplement the habits listed above.

2. When I got the band, the site helped me through things that popped up and how to handle. I didn't get involved in the negative comments. I just shared my experience and took others' experiences that made sense to me. We are all different so one persons solution is not another's solution.

3. After losing my weight it also helped me to find a plastic surgeon in my area. And I was thrilled with my choice. The girl that posted her pictures and journey pointed me in the right direction for me.

Since losing my weight, I have to say handling the head hunger has been a pretty big challenge. But I refuse to going back to being the "fatest person in the room". I had that role for too many years and do not want to go back there.

This year I put on 10 lbs and I'm in the process of getting it off. I look at food as an addiction. Having years of recovery in a 12 step program for another issue..... I am applying those principles to food especially sugar. For me it's a physical, mental and spiritual issue. I know physically to reduce calories and exercise. One thing I learned after being banded... 85% of my weight loss needed to come from reducing calories 15% came from exercising. Previously I thought I could exercise my weight to my goal weight.

Mentally I work with a counselor when the journey gets difficult. This helps me to identify why I turn to food when I'm happy, sad, stressed, excited. It doesn't matter what emotion comes up.... My coping mechanism is to turn to food/sugar.

Spiritually... This has been the hardest to develop even tho' I've experienced it in my 12 step program for my other issue. In the past 6 weeks I've made quite a bit of progress. Some of the practices I use to connect to a Higher Power:

1. Daily I read literature related to people that have overcome the food addiction

2. I talk to other people that are dealing with this similar issue

3. Prayer and meditation is key....

Many people are successful with Overeaters Anonymous and I suggest anyone struggling to try it. For me it hasn't helped. I use my other program to apply the 12 step principles and use the OA literature.

Some of the best benefits I've received are:

-Lost 120 lbs, my back and knees no longer hurt from the extra weight. I can breathe better

-I don't have to shop at large size stores. I actually was starting to outsize myself out of lane Bryant. I didn't know where to go after that

-I can sit in a airplane seat and not spill over to the next one or have to have an extension. I used to hate the look on the person next to me when they saw me coming into their row.

I met a wonderful man and got married 2 1/2 years ago. I wouldn't date when I was heavy so I never would've met him.

Most importantly..... I've gained self respect, I'm not ashamed of myself. This is HUGE for me.

Recently, I saw many people switching out from the band to other surgeries. I fully understand and am happy for everyone that finds their solution. I did investigate possible switching to the sleeve but the doctor recommends I stay where I'm at.

I'm not Pollyanna about the band... There are ongoing challenges. Some of them are:

I will always have to make sure I chew, chew, chew and eat slow, slow, slow. I happened to be a fast, large quantity eater in the past. I still have to be reminded.... My band is happy to help me on this ha!

I don't have any fill but I still have restriction. I'm happy about this. But restriction fluctuates when I exercise, fly on an airplane, in the morning etc. I've learned what affects my band and make adjustments.

I cant easily eat some of the things i really enjoy.....eggs, chicken, subway sandwich, peeps, twizzlers. But many of these things got me into trouble....

Is it a struggle? Sometimes....

A small price to pay for the life I have now.

I think as long as anyone considering any weight loss surgery as a tool and not the magic answer.... Can lose weight and have a new life.

I'm very grateful to Alex for starting this website as I'm not sure I would've been successful without it.

Momlambert: congratulations on your Bandiversary . Unbelievable we are still "keep on keepin' on"

I wish everyone success in your weight loss journey

JosieK

Josie, thanks for the encouragement of your success story

Great post and great job! Very inspirational.

Congrats

great job and a real inspiration.

wendy

Thank you everyone. I see you all are really embracing the lap band and making it work for you.... Great job

Josie

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences!

It's not only the lifestyle change and surgery, but your attitude towards food and how you "use" it. People don't realize that food can be abused like drugs and alcohol, even severe addiction. It really sounds like you are making real progress in that department.

Great work! Keep on truckin'!!

Congrats on your bandiversary. Thank you for sharing your story!

Congratulations Josie!!

It's wonderful to see another long time bandster be so successful.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

Congratulations on your 6th year bandiversary!!!You have really worked it. Congratulations on finding the love of your life!!!Best wishes for your continued happiness. Karen

Thank you everyone... It really is worth it.......