Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

being banded on Tuesday and getting nervous

My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday at 11:00 and as the time approaches I'm begining to feel very nervous. Even though I've had several operations already, I hate the idea of having to go into that operating room once again. I guess I just need people to let me know about their experience getting the procedure done and some reassurance that it's not such a horrible experience.

Hi Tybalt. You'll be fine! It was actually much better than I had expected. Day 1 and 2 were a little rough... just sore trying to get up and down. Gas was pretty bad (although it was gas pain, not really gas coming out). I had lots of pain in my shoulder that lasted for about 3 weeks or so and then went away. Now I only get it every now and again.

I went in for surgery first thing in the morning and was on my way home by 2pm-ish. I had surgery on a Thursday and went back to work the following Monday. It wasn't a great day at work, but not that bad either. I felt much better by Tuesday. Each day that passes you'll feel much, much better! Good luck on your surgery!

Hi Tybalt,

Shakespear fan?

My surgery was even easier than Kim's. The first night was the worst of it but I was still in the hospital and had an IV pain med that took care of it no problem. Went back to the hotel next day (I had surgery in Mexico) and lounged around without any real pain. I took one of the pain pills my doc gave me but only because I figured it would help me sleep, which I did off and on for that whole day. The next day my husband and I went out to a shopping mall and did some sightseeing. No problem. The next day we went around and bought souvineers and duty-free booze then jumped on a plane and came home! The worst gas pain I had was that day lounging around the hotel and it was totally managable. I didn't take even one more of my pain pills - I still have a whole bottle of them!

I do recommend having some Tylenot PM Golden vanilla Flavor - it doesn't come in any other flavor as far as I'm aware but I thought it would make it easier to find if you knew what the whole label said! Another good thing to do - at least for gas pain - is to stand next to your bed, bend over from the waist and rest your forearms on the bed resting your forehead between them. You can bend your knees slightly to make it a little more comfortable. It looks a little crazy but I swear it really helps with the gas pain. I would also start taking some chewable Fiber tablets today or tomorrow (follow the directions). The faster you move your bowels following surgery the better you'll feel. Must be something about the gas.

You'll do fine, every day a little better. BTW you're having surgery on my seven-week post op day and I've lost 25 pounds so far.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery and let us know how you're doing.

You will do great. I never took a pain pill, the pain was very minimal. I was up and around walking 1 hour after my surgery. Good luck, it's really not as bad as I expected.

Thanks for the words of support and encouragement. You're a great bunch of people. I'm still nervous but I feel a bit better after hearing about your experiences.

Tybalt,

Don't be nervous. I was soooo nervous in the OR and I came very close to backing out. Surgery went totally smoothly and recovery was uncomfortable but there was no "excrutiating" or "unbearable" pain. The worst was definitely the gas pains, but they went away after about three weeks. I would recommend omitting all dairy products right after surgery. I never had a problem with dairy but after surgery my gas did not go away until I stopped dairy. I actually look back on my recovery and think with fondness about being pampered and waited on hand and foot! I also caught up on some wonderful tv and fabulous reading. My husband and best friend fixed all my Soups and drinks and medications for me, and I basically spent two weeks absolutely relaxing. I am now just over two months post-op and feeling very well, going to the gym almost every day, and enjoying getting some restriction (finally!) after my first fill. This surgery is a breeze to most surgeons. I read a post on here that said her surgeon said doing a LAP Band was like "clipping a toenail" in terms of how easy it is. You will be totally fine. Good luck!

WOW! You should be in Band Land by now! Or at least well on your way. Hope you have a speedy, pain & gas-free recovery! Welcome to Band Land!!

Thanks for all the words of support and encouragement. It is 10:00pm, and I am now an official member of bandland. The procedure went smoothly and the doctor said I had a fine smooth liver, guess those 12 days of Optifast hell did the job.:clap2:

The gas pains aren't too bad, not yet anyway, it's the nothing but Water on the first day that has me down. Maybe I'll call midnight tomorrow and have some juice, low acidic of course.

It's good to hear you're doing well and and that the surgery went well. Make sure you walk, bend, and drink lots of fluids.

See there Tybalt - you did it! Good job! You take it easy... walking helps :-)