Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band and Alcohol?

I was banded 2 1/2 weeks ago, and sure wouldn't mind having a cocktail or two. Can this hurt the band? What are some of your experiences with being banded and drinking? I would be sticking to the liquid diet! ;)

Zadyzu,

I would wait if I were you. Since you are still in the liquid stage. I am almost 2yrs out. I know from my experience, when I drink I am able to eat more. Which is not a good thing. Alcohol is empty carlories.

XOXO~Teresa

Well I don't know about you but alcohol was one of my all-time munchie-inducers. I don't drink at all anymore, but if I did I'd probably try to give it up post-banding for two reasons.

First, of course it's just empty calories. Both the alcohol and the mixers are loaded with poison, things that do your body no good at all. Outside of really fine wine I can't see putting much of that stuff in me anymore. Just like I can't imagine smoking. (Of course, I'm still pickled from my college days--I drank enough for a lifetime.)

Second, the loss of impulse control would do me in. Munching whatever is at hand was always a hallmark of a few drinks for me, and I know I'd be forgetful about chewing carefully.

Maybe I was the wrong person to respond, and I really don't mean to sound preachy, but my recommendation is stick to wine and make it an infrequent indulgence.

I had my first PB after a night of drinking. I lost my mind and ate a piece of ham in two bites and wound up PBing the parking lot of a Krispy Kreme. NOT PRETTY.

What I've discovered is that alcohol makes my band sore. I can actually feel my stomach after I drink- if I have more than one or two. It also makes me loose my mind- see above as an example.

What I do have is a glass of wine or two in an evening...or one vodka cranberry or something with no carbonation. But I do this once a month at the most.

Megan

Hi, Thanks for your replies. Of course I knew the answer, I guess I was looking for "go for it, it can't hurt a bit":rolleyes:

I know it is empty calories, and yes, the munchies! I'm still on vacation, I took 3 weeks off, am feeling so much better, will glad to be back to work next week, and not be sitting around thinking about eating and drinking!!

I really appreciate this board and all your support!;)

I was told not to consume alcohol with the band. I don't remember if my doctor told me or if I read it somewhere but whatever or wherever it was, it said that it could cause erosion of the band. Does anyone know if that's true or not?????

Linda

Ok, maybe I'll get a lot of crap for this, but... I'm 23 years old. I'm still in school. The weekends are always when I kick back with friends and that often involves drinking. Sure, sure, I bet you're all thinking, 'why can't you have a good time without alcohol?', but honestly, in the safety of my own home, there's nothing better than having a whisky or a martini and watching movies with my boyfriend. Alcohol is definitely a munchie-inducer, but it's something I can avoid if I concentrate just a little. So basically, my answer to the original question is that I waited until probably 3-4 weeks post-op before I tried drinking, and since then I haven't had a problem. As long as you're not getting drunk to the point of throwing up, I don't really see the problem with a couple cocktails. If you're worried about the 'empty calories', cut down on the high-sugar alcohols like schnapp's or pucker, and skip the juice mixers. Mix some whisky with some lemonade crystal light for a whisky sour, or drink it straight!

I think an occasional drink probably can't hurt, and I'm not a kid - I'm 51 (and how did THAT happen??). But, like everything else - in moderation. The empty calories are definatley something I don't need, vodka and diet cranberry would be my choice. The munchies that go along with drinking is what scares me, I've just started this journey and have lost 15 lbs so far, I don't want to blow it now!

It is all about learning self control, If I'd always done that as far as eating right, staying away from processed foods, sugar, junk food etc., I wouldn't weigh 260 lbs!

As far as eroding the band, I don't see how that could happen as it doesn't come in contact with it, since it is on the "outside" (?)

My husband will have his usual Friday night pizza and beer tonight, I may try a drink so I won't feel so deprived. Or I may stick with my new discovery - peppermint tea with a dollop of "Oscar's SF, 0 cal. Bavarian chocolate syrup" - my mouth thinks I'm eating Junior Mints! Maybe I'll throw a shot of vodka in there!;)

Erosion does not happen because something comes in contact with the band. I'm not sure what the reasons for all cases of erosion might be, but there does seem to be a consensus that consuming things that irritate the stomach can percipate erosion. NSAIDS, like aspirin, alcohol, and other stuff are stomach irritants. Whether this causes stomach swelling which encourages the stomach to absorb the surrounding band, or if they cause thinning of the stomach lining, making absorption of the band into the stomach easier, or a combination of both or something else entirely, I have no idea.

I hear mostly "alcohol in moderation" on all sites I belong to.

I personally would be cautious not to trade my eating addiction in for some other harmful excess.

Originally posted by donali

I personally would be cautious not to trade my eating addiction in for some other harmful excess.

You could try sex. It isn't fattening and it's pretty good exercise. That's where I'm headed next, excessive sex*.

;-D

(*which explains the wink and the smile, now, doesn't it?)

Sue - please note I said "harmful excess." ;)

I suppose there ARE some who have found a way to have TOO much sex... Is that even POSSIBLE? lol ;)

I am so willing to find out!!!

Enjoy.... :eek:

Stomach irritants - absorb the band in to my stomach!! YIKES, I sure don't want that to be happening!

I think I'll chill on the alcohol.

Besides, Sue's suggestion sounds like so much more fun! I think I'll remind the hubby that is IS Friday night!;) :eek:

All Right! Let's settle this! In the interest of public service, I ordered a Bailey's on the rocks after dinner. Here is what I learned:

• It burns a little.
  • I shoulda had the booze before the meal (see above).
  • I am even more convinced that sex is a really good plan.
  • Husband is wondering if he can buy me yet another band.

Gotta go...I have some...er, uh...plans.

Sue

LMAO...You guys are just too damn funny. SEX doesn't sound like a bad plan at all...as a matter of fact it sounds like one hell of a good plan...only problem for me is....there's no man around here to acommodate me in that wonderful exercise so I guess I'll just have to find some other way to occupy my time LOL....

Linda

Sue -

Thanks for doing the "research". I think I'll hold for for a while, (on the booze that is ;)

Hope you had a great night!