Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Stage Recipes

Cream of Garlic

INGREDIENTS

• 3/4 cup garlic cloves, peeled
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup peeled and cubed potatoes
  • salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Chop garlic in a food processor to a coarse paste, stopping occasionally to scrape the sides of the bowl.
  2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the garlic paste and cook just until the paste begins to color, stirring constantly. Stir in the chicken broth and wine. Bring mixture to a boil.
  3. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the milk, cream and potato and simmer for another 30 minutes.
  4. Puree Soup in blender, return to saucepan and simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve

Thank you for all of the recipes! I started some of my grocery shopping today in preparation for my October 11th surgery. This was a tip posted by someone earlier. I also followed another tip and went to allrecipes.com (which is my favorite site to find holiday desserts). I found this lovely dessert for the liquid phase that may help with a sweet tooth. I modified the recipe for our dietary needs:

strawberry Soup

INGREDIENTS

• 2 cups strawberries
  • 1 cup skim milk (the recipe actually calls for buttermilk)
  • 1 teaspoon Splenda

DIRECTIONS

1. Place strawberries and skim milk into a blender or food processor and puree. Sweeten with Splenda to taste, blend and either serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator.

Today is October 11th! congratulation on getting your band. I hope you are doing well. Let us know how you are doing. I get banded in 29 days!

The strawbeery soup sounds delicious!

Hello Everyone, :)

I am doing a lot of reading and wanted to check out this thread. Cooking is one of my favorite things to do.

I just got my picture on so now you all can see my face. It's so little!

Nina

I'm supposed to eat 4 oz every hour. I can't, it's too much in one shot. So I eat 2 oz every half hour.

For the food portion, I Water down Campbells broccoli and cheese. I make a big pot (1 can-skim milk based) and put it in the fridge. Then when I need some, I just measure out my 2 oz. Because it cools quick, I make it nice and hot and eat with a spoon.

For my powder I do:

8 oz skim milk

8 oz Crystal Lite Orange (sugar free Tang is even better, if you can find it.)

2 scoops whey vanilla (contains 60g protein) purchased at Walmart.< /p>

BLEND WELL.

Chill a tray of orange ice cubes.

Either drink (or nurse )4 oz ever few hours, or nurse an 8 oz glass half the day, and the other, the second half. The orange ice cubes help keep the taste going, and it really takes like an orange smoothie.< /p>

I'm sure other Crystal Lite Flavors would substitute well, like strawberry.

OH and I keep a diary so I don't forget. Weird, before the lapband, I could get up in the morning and not even think about food until 6 hours later. Now, I'm HUNGRY. I guess it's completely psychological. As a large person I knew I was supposed to eat three meals a day to keep up a good metabolism (and mind is sluggish and hypo), but I just couldn't bring myself to doing it. BUT was forced to to keep that diary and eat all those meals to prepare for the surgery. Now that I'm used to eating all day, going liquid sure is hard.

I feel that I just need to immerse myself in some work and I'll forget how hungry I am all the time. So that when I set the timer to remind me to eat, I'll be pleasantly happy OR maybe disillusional.:eek:

Hey, everybody. I am new to the site. Just had my procedure on the 8th of Oct. and I'm trying to be creative from the start. I've found that Progresso Light Soups are delicious after putting them through a blender to smooth out any chunks. I also made a new Soup today that I enjoyed quite well. I do tend to lean towards spice, which hasn't bothered me at all. Here is the simple Soup recipe:

1 bag of Nature Sweet cherry tomatoes on the vine (I left about 5 out)

1/4 cup of chopped onion

2 tsp of roasted garlic

1 tsp of chopped jalapenos (optional for spice)

oregano, salt and pepper to taste

add Water or skim milk (if you want creamy) to desired consistancy

blend all ingredients in processor until smooth. cook in saucepan over low heat for approximately 15 minutes.

It was great! Hope you enjoy!

I have to say, after reading thru this thread, I am kind of surprised at some of the things some of you are allowed to have ..or allowing yourselves to have. I guess it all depends on the doctor and nutritionist ..or what you feel you can "get away" with. My nutritionist would pop a vein in her head if she saw some of these recipes ..do you guys ask before making these things? I'm not trying to be a big downer or anything, and to each their own, but after all we go thru for this, I can't see eating some of these things, I don't care how hungry I am. I can liquify a Snickers bar in a blender, but it doesn't mean I should eat it.

On the other hand, some of these recipes sound great and quite healthy and filling.

Pre-op I had to be on a 2 week diet of Optifast shakes and Water, only.

Now, post-op I have to be on clears for 2 weeks ..which consists of Water ..lots and lots of yummy water ..watered down juice and low sodium broth, with the addition of whey Protein powder.

Then I have to be on 4 weeks of full liquids which adds skim milk and watered down plain yogurt and strained low fat Soups to my diet.

It is harsh and will continue to be harsh, but I have lost over 18 pounds in 18 days and I somehow feel that in having a very strict diet and small list of what I can have, I will have a better chance at success and a nice little kickstart of weightloss to keep me excited about all this yummy yummy water LOL.

-Libby :peace:

For some people the stricter diet does allow them the freedom from choices, and fits them. Others like myself do not do well feeling deprived!!!

My Dr. also had me on 2 weeks of clear liquids---watery consistency, no thickness or pieces of any kind.

Then 2 weeks of full liquids, thicker cream type of Soup. It still had to be of a consistency to go through a straw for instance.

Then another 2 weeks of mushies, and then slowly on to regular food. If you tolerated a full diet, including hard Proteins, then in another 2 weeks he would do your first fill.

I ask about the spicy foods, and was told to watch and see if I tolerated them, and the big issue was consistency so the band could heal in proper position.

As for the creams, they are indeed useless calories. BUT, if it satisfies you, keeps you on target for allowing your body to heal, it is not the worst thing!

I have never strictly "dieted" since going back to real food. I do concentrate on eating much healthier, simply because I can not eat a huge amount, so I want as good of nutrition as I can get from the smaller amount of food.

I do eat things that are not healthy---it may very well make my weight loss slower. I am happy this way. I eat as my palate pleases basically. I have learned HUGE amounts about nutrition, and portion sizes....all information I use everyday in my choices. I also know myself very well---and if I thought I was going to be limited to a small variety of food for the rest of my life, or even for a year while I got to goal---I would be going nuts! I don't like that!

My best friend is just the opposite, she does the Slim Fast, because she doesn't have to think about food then...and all it does for me is make me think non stop about food!!!

How we approach the different stages, and how each of our diets affect us is as different as each of the Dr.'s schedule of things!!!

Good Luck in your healing, and in following your eating plan!

Kat

Oh totally understood, kat ..I wasn't trying to say that anyone was doing anything wrong or that my way was any better ..its just that, to my understanding, the first 6 weeks are supposed to be about healing and not irritating your stomach. Then I read recipes with things like cream and jalapenos in them and I have to wonder how damaging that might be.

I am sure I will end up eating things that aren't the best choices too ..I'm only human and I have a lot to learn.. but I want to give myself the best chance I can at doing this properly, so I am following what the nutritionist and doctor say - to the letter ..afterall, they would know better.

I guess what I am trying to say is ..people might want to take some of these recipes and ideas with a grain of salt. What is acceptable for one may be very irritating to someone else. Be wise ..ask your nutritionist.

-Libby :peace:

Very true---anything at all in the stomach that would cause the stomach to work to digest was totally off limits to me for a month! I will admit to cutting it by a couple of days, and begining mushies, maybe 2 days early! But I was very careful following the rules during healing, I understood it could sway your results with the band completely!!!

Now I eat most of the same foods I did prior to banding, but in differing ways, and amounts!! I seldom eat much starch based foods. Things like baked potatoes used to be a favorite, but now to get the butter, and sour cream, and everything together, and mixed up to just take one or 2 bites is just not worth it!!!

I have learned so much about how to eat for my body, I wish I had the determination to DO the things I know!!! As it is, I found a happy medium for me.

We all have different weaknesses, and different weak times of the day....or places that trigger binge activity...we each have to find our own way to cope with these things. It is one learning process after another!!!! BUT this time it is with results!!!

Good Luck to you!

Kat

I bought this jar and add an equal amount of chicken broth to Water ever amount I am cooking. If you like tortilla Soup, this is great and light! It's not very thick, and the chicken broth waters it down even more.

As for the strict diets, my doctor's instructions stated that anything that can be sipped through a straw at room temperature qualifies as a liquid. For example, I've seen cream of wheat on some posts, yogurt, pudding, etc. These are really just soft solids because at room temperature, they do not lose their consistency like Jello.

Mandi,

I am scheduled with Benavides in 2 weeks...any advice?

Cristala...just joined haven't made my profile yet...where can I get myocel in Austin?

<p>Yes, artificial sweetners do give gas...especially sorbitol and maltitol...but they are healthier than nutrasweet, sacharin or Splenda! The best sweetenr you can get, which is also a supplement is Stevia. You can find it at a healthfood store in drops or little packets. You canmake your own popsicles at home...yum. You can also cook with stevia. It is ALL natural. It also stabalizes blood sugar and helps lower high cholesterol.</p> <p>__________________</p> <p>I tried Stevia several times and had to return them. They say there not bitter but they are!</p>

"Hello, yayaflowerlady!

We've noticed that you haven't been active on LapBandTalk.com for quite some time now, and we miss you!

We'd love to see you back again shortly!

If you don't remember your password, you can request it here:

http://LapBandTalk.com/login.php?do=lostpw

We hope to see you soon.

Kindest Regards,

- LBT Membership Team"

I got this in my email but can't find it here anywere!

Nina

:confused: