Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Stage Recipes

My Dr. said that I could have "thin" liquids" the first week along with 1-2 Protein shakes such as slim fast for low carb diets. He also gave me a powdered shake from Arbonne to mix with skim milk for the Protein. I am really confused as to why some Drs. let you have only clear liquid week one and why others want clear with the shake. Then I have read where others are eating anything liquid. I think I am totally abnormal because the nurses told me that patients are rarely hungry during the first week and that week two is worse. Now, my stomach is growling. I am sick of broth... can't wait till Friday so I can have something different. Yesterday, the thought of plain broth made me gag... really, it made me prefer to be hungry than eat that. So I went to the store and bought the 'best life' Progresso Soups and strained out the veggies,etc and drank the juice. I immediately felt better. Liquid was not totally clear but it did the trick. Now I have hopes that I can deal with this until Friday! Is egg drop Soup ok for week 1??

Please give me ideas for week 2 since it is thick liquid stage and supposedly harder than week 1.

I don't know how to do that ticker thing and add cute stuff to my posts so pardon the boredom! :thumbup:

Grace 65

Banded by Dr. Felts

2/29/08

11 lbs lost: 5 preop, 6 postop

Okay, now I have your attention!! This was in Weight Loss for Dummies book under the liquid diet idea and I thought it sounded yummy.

chocolate Covered Cherries shake

2 Scoops unjury chocolate

4 oz skim milk - frozen into ice cubes

2 oz plain low fat yogurt (I use fat free too)

2 oz skim milk

1 oz fresh cherries, pitted (can substitute frozen cherries if needed)

Place all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth.

Calories: 299 (with 11 from Fat), Fat 1 gm, Sat Fat 1 gm, Cholesterol 7 mg, Sodium 238 mg, Carbs 24g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 49g.

This was in Weight Loss for Dummies book and I thought it also sounded good. Skipping trips to Starbucks for the liquids stages for sure.

vanilla Cappaccino shake

2 scoops unjury vanilla

4 oz skim milk, frozen into cubes

4 oz skim milk (not frozen)

1 TB instant coffee (decaf)

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 packet sugar substitute

Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.

Calories 280 (4 from fat), Fat 0 gr, Sat Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 229 mg, Carb 20g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 48g.

Creamy Carrot/Cauliflower Soup -- perfect for when full liquids are allowed

Ingredients:

1 T. each butter and olive oil

1 bag frozen diced onion (I'm too lazy to chop them myself!)

1/4 t. ground ginger

1/8 t. ground nutmeg

1 lb. carrots, peeled and sliced

1/2 head cauliflower, washed and broken into florets (this is what makes it creamy!)

8 cups chicken broth

the zest from 1 orange

1 c. orange juice

salt & pepper

Melt butter and oil in large pot over low heat. Add onions and cook for 15 minutes until wilted. Add ginger and nutmeg, cook for 1 minute.

Add carrots, cauliflower, broth and orange zest. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow it to cool somewhat.

Puree in batches in a blender, return to pot. Add orange juice, salt and pepper. Reheat over low heat.

(Fresh snipped chives make a great garnish when past liquids stage.)

I don't have the nutritional breakdown on this, but it's supposed to make 8 servings.

Thanks, this looks good! I am going to need a few different ideas for this week. I will try this one!!!!!

Grace

:);):eek:

I've just invented a delicious recipe for those of us on the liquid diet.

I took a can of chicken, tossed it in the blender w/ a splash of skim milk and pulsed it until it was liquified. I segmented it into 2oz cups (cuz this is all that I can eat at a sitting right now). I then added a dallop of BBQ Sauce and microwaved it for 15 seconds.

It's super! try it! and there's 15g of Protein in the 2oz of chicken.< /p>

my concoction is 150mls of a safeway Protein shake in a can (slim fast or whatever) I chose the safeway one since it is the same caloric content as their organic chocolate milk, anyway then 150mls of chocolate milk 1%, plus some frozen raspberries 3/4 of a cup maybe, all in the magic bullet, there's my Breakfast today, eat with a spoon since I make it so it's pretty thick.

Enjoy ( I do the 1/2 and 1/2 only because I can't stand the taste of the shake straight out of the can) still gives you 12gms of Protein for about 200 cals approx.

This has been one of my liquid staples:

2 big jars of Great northern Beans (wal-mart)

1 big can petite diced tomatoes

10 cups chicken broth (I use chicken Soup base paste)

1 Tbsp. minced garlic

1 tsp salt

Put all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 1 hour. Stir every 10 minutes or so.

Let it cool and put in the blender. Add more chicken broth if needed.

Lots of Protein and Fiber.

I used to make these in weight watchers and tweaked them to work in the liquid phase

1/2 cup Sugar free/fat free vanilla ice-cream (blue bunny makes one)

1/2 cup skim milk

2 Tbsp Fat Free Cool Whip

1 tsp brandy

1 tsp Cream de Coace

1 scoop Body Fortress Vanilla Protein powder (wal-mart)

Blend and enjoy!

I'm one of those people that can't stand the taste of Protein Powder and the little bit of brandy is enough to hide it. Even my husband drinks them!

I am on liquids right now for a week to help prevent slippage I love smoothies

1 c NF vanilla yogurt

1/2 c nf high pro. milk

1/2 bann.

1/2 c strawberries

5 cubes of ice

1 packet of splenda

*** When I have the powder Protein I add it too!

Fillls me up and taste :embaressed_smile:

Just banded and my Dr allows me to have Soup. I used a 1/3 of a can of cream of chicken soup (reduced fat), added 1 ounce of chicken breast, milk (to reach desired thin consistency), approx 1/4 cup of 2% cheddar cheese and added a little broccoli. I put this all on my majic bullet added some dry ingredients such as no-salt (salt substitute), pepper, garlic powder and onion powder and pureed it and heated..... it was a chicken divan soup and so yummy. Im finding that I am not very hungry and only taking in 2 shakes during the day and soup at night so I wanted more Protein in this soup. It takes me 1 - 2 hrs to drink my Soups so I dont feel sick from drinking it to quickly.

I have gotten so many good ideas and suggestions from this site, I thought I would post my own. I just tried this today...and it was really good. One of my favorite canned Soups pre-band is Campbells Mexican chicken Tortilla Soup. Well for my liquid stage I took a can of the same soup but the Healthy Request version, put it through a strainer, and put the chicken, corn, and Beans back in with the broth. I used an immersion blender to blend it all together and it tasted great. I recommend the hand immersion blender for making soups or blending for the liquid stage.