Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plateau Buster Ideas

I'm stuck at 202...for the past week and a half...I'm really looking forward to being in ONEderland...

Anybody have any ideas for a plateau buster?

Hello there! I'm not banded YET but I have been reading alot about the lapband for nearly 4 weeks now. The few things that I've read over and over about plateau is:

1. Write down what you are eating to see if you are overeating.

2. If your calorie intake is too low then add a little bit more. The body will shut down if it feels it's being starved. This way it's saving itself or so it thinks.

3. If not overeating, then throw in a little bit more of exercise.

4. Plateau's aren't so bad as long as they don't last for several weeks. It's your body's way of catching up, shrinking the inches to catch up with the fat loss.

5. Varying your calorie count daily seems to keep the plateaus away or keeps them short. One day 1000 cals, next 1300. This shocks the body into NOT getting settled and in some cases actually make you lose more weight faster.

I hope these tips help! Good luck on your weightloss ;)

with my new restriction i am hoping to see a big loss. to help that along the way i have challenged myself to drink 100 oz of Water a day! i have done all this week. want to join! youll probably lose three just in Water weight!

oh yeah and i am restricting carbs and of course no sugar!!!

Originally posted by JLHoogland

I'm stuck at 202...for the past week and a half...I'm really looking forward to being in ONEderland...

Anybody have any ideas for a plateau buster?

eat some bad stuff ;)

chocolates, icecream , sweets.

Leo, I have to say I like your idea the best...eat some bad stuff...LOL

Michelle, I've been drinking a ton of Water lately and it's made my restriction less...see my other post on restriction...it seems the less I drink the more restricted I am...the more I drink the less restricted I am...makes no damn sense!

Laura, your advice is the most sensible...I've been eating well and exercising...EESH...maybe this is just a way of my body catching up...EESH...or holding on to dear life because it DOESN'T WANT TO BE BELOW 200! Stupid body...obviously my mind DOES!

Thanks for your advice!

Hi Jennye,

I have a theory about why restriction is greater when you drink less Water. When you drinking enough Water your body processes it and things run along just fine. If you don't get enough your body will assume it needs to keep all it can so organs and all will retain water, thus swell and have more restriction. When I drink a lot of water I'm less restricted too. If I eat a lot of salt, more restriction.

just a theory!

cheers

j

Originally posted by JLHoogland

Leo, I have to say I like your idea the best...eat some bad stuff...LOL

Thanks for your advice!

I am not kidding at all ;)

I do it all the time when i am on a plateau. I just eat some junk for 2 days. Its like, hey you lost weight, you deserve to have a reward!! And its a good way to get those happy feelings , which in term will make u stop concentrating on the plateau.....

Then I just continue back on the same boring routine... and voila after a couple of days the weightloss starts again.

Good ideas...well I ate some licorice last night...and drank a ton of water...I'll just keep plotting along and pray I bump back to losing soon...I really thought I was at my sweet spot but I guess not...EESH!

Where is Dr. Fox's plateau buster diet when we need it?? (I'll try to find it for you).

I've found what has kicked me off plateaus the best is to vary my calories throughout the week to include days of almost fasting with overindulgence. It takes the body a couple of days to go into "starvation" mode so if you can think of your calories as a bell curve, the body tends to like having a day or two (I normally try to keep it to one day) of increased calories with periods of almost nothing.

This has worked VERY well for me. And it's kind of fun because on my "free" day I literally eat WHATEVER I want---Cold Stone Ice Cream, mexican food, etc. The other days I'm more moderate and for about 2 I eat almost nothing.

Try it and see if it works!

Thanks Robin...I'm gonna try that!

Originally Posted by: BandAid

Here's a popular Plateau Busting plan:

Dr. Fox's Plateau Busting Diet

This is the plan that Dr. Fox gives to his RNY and AGB patients in order to get through a plateau in weight loss.

#1 Do for 10 days to break plateau

#2 Drink 2 quarts of Water a day

#3 You must have 45 grams of Protein supplement and all your Vitamin & mineral supplements each day.

#4 You may consume up to 3 oz. of the following high-protein foods, 5 times a day:

a.. beef,

b.. pork,

c.. chicken,

d.. turkey,

e.. lamb,

f.. fish,

g.. eggs,

h.. low-fat cheese,

i.. cottage cheese,

j.. plain yogurt (or artificially sweetened),

k.. Peanut Butter,

l.. beans/legumes.

#5 You may also have:

a.. sugar-free popsicles (avoid juice popsicles),

b.. tea or coffee,

c.. sugar-free sodas,

d.. sugar-free Jello,

e.. broths & bouillons,

f.. Crystal Lite drinks.

#6 IF IT IS NOT ON THE LIST YOU MAY NOT HAVE IT!

#7 Keep a food diary and try to get 30 minutes of exercise daily.