Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on 2/28 and I lost 20 lbs in the first 2 weeks. For the past week I have not lost another lb. Did anyone else have this problem? I know that the first 6 weeks are for healing, but I would have thought that I wouldn't have plateaued this soon. I haven't had a fill yet, that is coming up this Wednesday. I am just getting a little worried that I am going to be one of the ones the band doesn't work for. I log everything on MFP and am eating around 600-1000 calories a day, mostly around 700. I am making good food choices also. Anyone got any advice on how you got over the hump? Is it just that I need a fill? I am getting discouraged. Maybe I need to eat more Protein. How much protein is everyone getting daily? Any advice would be great.

Hi! So its been three weeks since you were banded and you've lost 20 lbs? Sounds great to me. Thats almost 7 lbs per week. You're not going to show a loss every day / every week.

Stick to the plan your surgeon/nutritionist give you as best you can. Sounds like you are doing just that....GREAT!

As you can, exercise. Even if its walking for a few minutes at a time. Every thing you do will help.

Keep in mind, lots of doc's are very conservative with fills and it MAY take you several to get out of what a lot of folks consider "bandster hell". (That period where its nothing but a diet.) If you're lucky, your doctor will progress you to a level of restriction rather quickly, where you will feel satisfied on a small, band sized portion of food.

As far as MY directions, it was to try and consume a minimum of 70-80 grams of Protein per day, but yours should provide your target range.

And above everything, don't get discouraged three weeks out from surgery. Congrats on your loss and just hang in there! :)

I have been walking 2-3 miles a day...Maybe I am gaining muscle..I will try getting in more Protein a day. Do you worry about the carbs?

I don't "worry" about carbs now. I use an app called LoseIt and it tracks them, but I don't have a carb goal for myself. Some folks do.

By the way, that walking is great!

I don't have a carb intake goal for myself. I just eat my Protein first and eat some carbs after. I do this to kinda limit carbs since I like bread and rice. By eating my Protein first I get satisfied quicker and stay satisfied for longer hours. My nutritionist advice me of a minimum of 80g of protein to 120g per day.

You're doing great. Keep up the good work.

20 lbs in three weeks is an impressive loss. Remember that the guidelines only say that someone who has been banded can expect to lose 1-2 lbs per week, and that's an average, which means that there will be weeks when you will not lose anything, unfortunately. Even worse, there may be weeks when you put on a lb or two. The important thing is to remember that you took a long time to put on the weight, it will take a while for it to come off. Trends are more important than individual weigh ins. As long as your weight is trending downward, you're doing well.

As far as Protein goes, every doctor/nutritionist recommends different amounts. My nut. says that I have to get a minimum 50-60 g per day, and anything above that is great. So I count up to 50 to make sure I get the minimum, but after that I don't worry too much. Your recommendations may vary, though, and I always suggest that you follow the post-op guidelines provided by your practice.

You'll do fine. Just remember to be realistic and patient. Patience really is fundamental. Good luck!

Oh, and I don't count carbs. I use MyFitnessPal, which keeps track of them by default, but i don't pay much attention. If you're choosing and eating high Protein foods first, you will likely find that your carb intake naturally remains in a controlled balance with your other nutrients.

Your post is similar to so many every day. So yes, nearly everyone(99%?) has experienced going a few days and not lose weight. Losing weight vs losing fat are two different things entirely.

The band is not a magic wand where we lose fat or weight every day or even every week. Your scale does not separate the two main factors of losing weight. Fat vs fluids!

The scale does not know that it's your TOM or that you ate chinese with a 1/4 cup of soy sauce, or a lean cusine with 750 mg sodium, or 2 cups of chicken Soup loaded with sodium. Your scale does not know you've exercised rigorously for the last 2 weeks adding muscle to replace lost fat.

You can lose 3 lbs of fat in one week but the scale may not indicate any loss of fat at all if you are retaining fluids.

It's so easy for our bodies to retain 3-5 lbs of water/fluids if the environment presents itself. Eat a lot of sodium, TOM, medications or illness make our bodies retain fluids. That's weight and lots of it. Most of the 20 lbs you've already lost is Water loss. It won't continue at this rate and you can expect wild 1-5 lb fluctuations every day or week. No one is immune. jmo

tmf

Thanks for the advice.. I am just going to keep doing what I am doing. My doctor didn't give me a guideline as to how much Protein to eat. Just said to eat protein first. Hopefully, after my fill wednesday it will start dropping again.

Your post is similar to so many every day. So yes, nearly everyone(99%?) has experienced going a few days and not lose weight. Losing weight vs losing fat are two different things entirely.

The band is not a magic wand where we lose fat or weight every day or even every week. Your scale does not separate the two main factors of losing weight. Fat vs fluids!

The scale does not know that it's your TOM or that you ate chinese with a 1/4 cup of soy sauce, or a lean cusine with 750 mg sodium, or 2 cups of chicken Soup loaded with sodium. Your scale does not know you've exercised rigorously for the last 2 weeks adding muscle to replace lost fat.

You can lose 3 lbs of fat in one week but the scale may not indicate any loss of fat at all if you are retaining fluids.

It's so easy for our bodies to retain 3-5 lbs of water/fluids if the environment presents itself. Eat a lot of sodium, TOM, medications or illness make our bodies retain fluids. That's weight and lots of it. Most of the 20 lbs you've already lost is Water loss. It won't continue at this rate and you can expect wild 1-5 lb fluctuations every day or week. No one is immune. jmo

tmf

you need to make this a template and copy/paste on all the threads that ask about this every day.....maybe it will eventually be believed.

I didn't lose for the longest time after surgery then all of a sudden I lost 10 pounds in one week. I don't expect it to keep going that way. It was probably Water

I am in the same boat. I was banded on 1/18 and lost 14lbs the first two week and then about 6 after that. Then the past 4 weeks...nothing. My doctor told me this was totally normal and I should not be discouraged. I joined the fitness center last week and got my first fill on Thursday and finally saw the scale move this morning!

We have all been there. I am still there!! My surgery was Jan. 23rd and I did really well. In the first month I lost 27 lbs and was stuck there for almost a month. Then last week I lost 1lb and am now at 28lbs. I have tried really hard not to be frustrated and know that this is all part of it. However, my clothes are totally hanging on me, especially my pants. I need some new clothes but would like to wait a little longer and see if I can lose 10 more lbs. before I go shopping. We will see. Just remember when you are feeling frustrated or confused by what your body is doing - get on this site and share it. This is an amazing site with lots of good people with good information.

Be Blessed!

Thanks.

I was banded on 2/28 and I lost 20 lbs in the first 2 weeks. For the past week I have not lost another lb. Did anyone else have this problem? I know that the first 6 weeks are for healing' date=' but I would have thought that I wouldn't have plateaued this soon. I haven't had a fill yet, that is coming up this Wednesday. I am just getting a little worried that I am going to be one of the ones the band doesn't work for. I log everything on MFP and am eating around 600-1000 calories a day, mostly around 700. I am making good food choices also. Anyone got any advice on how you got over the hump? Is it just that I need a fill? I am getting discouraged. Maybe I need to eat more Protein. How much protein is everyone getting daily? Any advice would be great.[/quote']

Hey! I just posted somethin like this yesterday. I am going through the same thing! I got rebanded march 1st and i only lost 4lbs since my surgery! I am only taking in too about 600-700 calories a day so I just don't get it! Its fustrating and upsetting! I guess our body just needs to heal. I am going to my dr. This friday. I dont think he will fill me cause that will only be my 2nd day on liquids. But i am definitly going to ask him if its normal to only lose so little after surgery