Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood Pressure and Lap Band Surgery Question?????

I do not yet have a surgery date but I am hoping for some time in April. I just got all my blood work back and everything is perfect and in range as always.

Total Cholesterol 159

HDL 52

LDL 83

Triglycerides 118

Glucose 74

A1C 5.3 Decreased risk for Diabetes

Problem is that I have always had low sugar levels and normal to low blood pressure. I took in three small children this past June and since then every time I have been to the doctor my blood pressure has been 130's-140's/90!! I can feel the difference in my body and I know it is from stress. I even had the doctor check my charts the other day and it definitely started getting high right after they came to my home. I asked the doctor to put me on BP medicine because I am worried that when it comes time for my surgery I will not be able to have it due to my BP being high. I have been taking the meds for 3 days now and there is no change in my BP other then the lower number is in the 70's and 80's again. However, the systolic? number is still very high.

How long did it take for BP medicine to start working for you if you have ever taken any? Also, has anyone had experience going for the surgery and being stalled due to high BP? This biggest problem with all of this is that I am traveling to TX from FL, so if they have to cancel my surgery it would be a huge expense for me to have to travel their again.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. I am taking 10mg of Benazepril a day.

Both systolic and diastolic are important, but it's the diastolic that you really don't want being high. The fact yours came down a bit is a very good thing.

If it makes you feel any better, mine was getting very high before surgery too. The highest I saw it was 143/90. I never went on meds but losing weight has helped tremendously. When I was just at the doctor last week, it was was 118/70, which is great especially considering how high it was before.

Hang in there, I bet you'll see big improvements as your weight goes down too.

Both systolic and diastolic are important, but it's the diastolic that you really don't want being high. The fact yours came down a bit is a very good thing.

If it makes you feel any better, mine was getting very high before surgery too. The highest I saw it was 143/90. I never went on meds but losing weight has helped tremendously. When I was just at the doctor last week, it was was 118/70, which is great especially considering how high it was before.

Hang in there, I bet you'll see big improvements as your weight goes down too.

Okay... So they performed your surgery even with the high blood pressure? That makes me feel better. Did they say anything to you about the BP? My doctor never recommended that I go on the BP medicine but I asked for it since I have seen that it has increased this past year with the stress. The kids that I have are supposed to go back to living with their mother this summer so I think there will be a huge change then and hopefully things will go back to normal.

Thanks for the reply... It helps knowing that they performed your surgery even with the higher BP.

Okay... So they performed your surgery even with the high blood pressure? That makes me feel better. Did they say anything to you about the BP? My doctor never recommended that I go on the BP medicine but I asked for it since I have seen that it has increased this past year with the stress. The kids that I have are supposed to go back to living with their mother this summer so I think there will be a huge change then and hopefully things will go back to normal.

Thanks for the reply... It helps knowing that they performed your surgery even with the higher BP.

Yes, they did the surgery even with the high blood pressure. There was actually never any talk about not doing it because of the higher blood pressure. My surgeon just said it was good I was getting it done so I could lose weight and get it under control.

It came down pretty quickly as I started losing, too. It's pretty amazing how fast the body starts turning itself around when weight starts comes off.

Granted I'm no doctor, but I really believe you'll be just fine and have nothing to worry about.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!

After you lose 40-50 pounds you should see a big decrease in your BP readings and if you retain Water around lower legs/ankles this will decrease as well.

Best wishes and keep the Faith

I have Diastolic Hypertension (meaning the top number was usually near normal but my bottom number was too high - usually about 140/95-100). This is totally hereditary. My dad had his first heart attack at 32 and died from his 2nd at 43. Here I was 42 and on 4 different bp meds. Had to be admitted once for my bp at 150/120. Dr told me that while my bp would go down tremendously if I lost weight, that it was hereditary and I'd be on bp meds forever.

1 year after my band I went down to 1 pill a day! Now, 3 1/2 yrs later, I don't take anything for my bp. All one. Bp is totally normal.

And on the day of my surgery, my bp was well over what your is. I don't even think your top number is high at all. Relax and know that you'll soon be off that nasty pill!

Good luck!

Marci

My BP was creeping up..but I had not been put on any meds yet... I was headed in that direction if I didn't do something about my weight. They did my surgery even with the high BP...140/92.

Today my BP averages 110/70

My husband is average weight but had high BP... His went doesn't about a month after going on his meds.

Great info... Anyone knows about high pulse? Always when I checked my bp my pulse is over 100...

good advise from everyone! Blood pressure medications can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks to show results. and sometimes it might not be the right medication for you the doctor might have to change it.

A normal resting heart rate for adults ranges from 60 to 100 beats a minute.

Keep in mind that many factors can influence heart rate, including:

• Activity level
  • Fitness level
  • Air temperature
  • Body position (standing up or lying down, for example)
  • Emotions
  • Body size
  • Medications

Although there's a wide range of normal, an unusually high or low heart rate may indicate an underlying problem. Consult your doctor if your resting heart rate is consistently above 100 beats a minute (tachycardia) or below 60 beats a minute (bradycardia) — especially if you have other signs or symptoms, such as fainting, dizziness or shortness of breath.