Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stick at the start of eating

I've had the band now for roughly a year and a half, and over the past 6 months or so. I notice that if I don't eat for a long time, the first few bites I take, I get stuck. No matter how small of bites, and how much I grind down the food. I don't drink before I eat, so there isn't any liquids present.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Try 1 Tbs of honey to lubricate the swallowing There is also a spray to make swallowing easier. It is OTC. I had swallowing issues b4 my band. Also exercise throat muscles by gargling I hope this issues gets easier for u.

Try 1 Tbs of honey to lubricate the swallowing There is also a spray to make swallowing easier. It is OTC. I had swallowing issues b4 my band. Also exercise throat muscles by gargling I hope this issues gets easier for u.

Are you saying I'm having a hard time swallowing? Or is the food getting caught at the band?

More information: after several minutes, the pain intensifies, and I can almost feel the food pass the band. (I think it's passing the band)

Yes, I've experienced this and heard many others talk about it. They call it "first bite syndrome". It's odd and it doesn't make sense (to me anyway) but for some reason the first bite will stick. If you then wait 5-10 minutes to resume eating, you can then eat with no problem.

I find this happens if I let myself get too hungry, like I've been starving for couple hours before I finally find time to eat.

This happens to me every day. I hate the first meal of the day because I know it's going to hurt. I can also feel it sitting on top of the band and painfully pass through. I always drink something cold about an hour before I eat to try to decrease any swelling, and help open my band. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes even the liquid won't go down easy. I have had issues with swelling since day one. Dr says there's nothing he can do because it is just the way my body reacts to the foreign object put into it.

Missy... you have had everything girl. But still you hang in there!

Yes, I've experienced this and heard many others talk about it. They call it "first bite syndrome". It's odd and it doesn't make sense (to me anyway) but for some reason the first bite will stick. If you then wait 5-10 minutes to resume eating, you can then eat with no problem.

I find this happens if I let myself get too hungry, like I've been starving for couple hours before I finally find time to eat.

It's weird, it literally is the first bite or two and bam. Stuck!!

Any other remedies people are using to help with this?

I really wonder why it does that.

It's weird' date=' it literally is the first bite or two and bam. Stuck!!

Any other remedies people are using to help with this?

I really wonder why it does that.[/quote']

The only remedy that works for me is to not let myself get overly hungry. I keep a Protein Bar in my purse so I always have an emergency meal substitute for this very reason.

I have to have something HOT a few minutes before I eat.....hot tea or even better hot Water with lemon and a touch of honey. Seems to clear everything out and decreases likelihood of getting stuck . Everyone has to figure out what works with their body. I feel like it is all trial and error. Good luck.

Happens to me all the time....I am most tight in the morning and cannot eat at all until later towards lunch.....even my morning Protein smoothies has to go down slow....

People, including me, say the Band gets tighter and looser...but in reality the band remains constant....

I believe it is our pouch that gets larger and smaller....just as the stomach can do from eating and not eating.....stretch and contract...it's natural and expected......

The more we eat, quantity and frequency....the more the pouch dilates, making it easier to accept food.....it is the hardest to take food after we have not eaten for quite some time, and the pouch is given a chance to rest and return to normal...which we say we feel tight....

That is why I am the tightest in the morning,,,i have not eaten anything in 12 hours, plus slept for a good rest.....

I can also experience this if I do not eat all day until late dinner...I KNOW the first few bites are going to be painful.....

In reverse, people who cannot stop eating, or ignore their band...run the risk of dilating their pouch and never giving it a chance to relax and return to normal size....like a "beer belly" but on a smaller scale....

What does the Dr, prescribe? ALL liquids for a few days to let the pouch relax and return to normal.....IF the Dr. feels the patient will not comply and keep on eating, then he/she will have to do a complete un-fill, therefore giving the pouch a chance to rest....even if patient eats solid food.....

For general maintenance, I go all liquids for 2-3 days, usually pick one weekend every 4-6 weeks...this keeps my pouch in good health....(Tight band)

I can also tell when I need to do this based upon how easy it is for me to eat, or the band starts to allow my portions increase in size......

Some people refer to this as the "5 day pouch test" which really is not a rest...it is a protocol to let the pouch rest and return to normal.....hopefully....

Happens to me all the time....I am most tight in the morning and cannot eat at all until later towards lunch.....even my morning Protein smoothies has to go down slow....

People, including me, say the Band gets tighter and looser...but in reality the band remains constant....

I believe it is our pouch that gets larger and smaller....just as the stomach can do from eating and not eating.....stretch and contract...it's natural and expected......

The more we eat, quantity and frequency....the more the pouch dilates, making it easier to accept food.....it is the hardest to take food after we have not eaten for quite some time, and the pouch is given a chance to rest and return to normal...which we say we feel tight....

That is why I am the tightest in the morning,,,i have not eaten anything in 12 hours, plus slept for a good rest.....

I can also experience this if I do not eat all day until late dinner...I KNOW the first few bites are going to be painful.....

In reverse, people who cannot stop eating, or ignore their band...run the risk of dilating their pouch and never giving it a chance to relax and return to normal size....like a "beer belly" but on a smaller scale....

What does the Dr, prescribe? ALL liquids for a few days to let the pouch relax and return to normal.....IF the Dr. feels the patient will not comply and keep on eating, then he/she will have to do a complete un-fill, therefore giving the pouch a chance to rest....even if patient eats solid food.....

For general maintenance, I go all liquids for 2-3 days, usually pick one weekend every 4-6 weeks...this keeps my pouch in good health....(Tight band)

I can also tell when I need to do this based upon how easy it is for me to eat, or the band starts to allow my portions increase in size......

Some people refer to this as the "5 day pouch test" which really is not a rest...it is a protocol to let the pouch rest and return to normal.....hopefully....

Wow... I never thought about this.

So does everyone give their band rest? Doing liquids for a few days.

It's funny you say that, because I notice I'm able to increase my portion size over the past few months. So is this what I need, to let rest.

Does everyone do the let the band rest?

Yes, when I find that I am able to eat bigger portions and not feeling satisfied, I go on a full liquid diet for 2-3 days. I do this about every 8 weeks. It works for me.

I experience this exactly like you do. Again, people tell me it's first bite syndrome. I'm really paying attention to it now and tracking when it happens and why it might be happening. But YES, 100%; it happens to me too. And I also do "band relaxation" for 1-2 days every 6 weeks or so. I do it more for me as I'm afraid I may eat too much since the band doesn't limit the amount of food I can eat (which I originally thought it would).