Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys!!

I'm so excited to finally be on this journey and "meet" everyone! My name is Kim, I'm 37 years old, married with 3 teenagers (ouch!!).

I haven't been overweight ALL of my life, but I was always the "thickest" friend in my group. BUT...I was also the only athlete in my group, so I was always in shape physically and had lots if muscle. In high school I was 5'6-5'7 and weighed 165 (ish). Last week at my initial consult I was 5'4 1/2 and weighed nearly 260 lbs....ohhhh mannnn did THAT sting :(

I gave birth to twin boys in 1995 and weighed 218 the day I delivered. Surprisingly, less than 2 years later I gave birth to my daughter (oopsie!!). So, I found myself 21 years old with 3 kids still in diapers and a much less than fabulous marriage.

Not that the twins weren't a tough enough job, then my daughter was born with Down's Syndrome (no we did not know before she was born). So, there I was raising twin toddlers AND a special needs baby. This story isnt about the kids, so I wont ramble on about how fabulous the 3 of them are, how utterly handsome my boys are, what FABULOUS athletes they are or how remarkable my daughter is (shes very healthy, beautiful and is extremely advanced!!). No, its finally about ME!!

This is something I've wanted for so long, but we dont have insurance and thought it would be impossible. Recently, we sat down and figured into our budget how we could allow for this procedure and HERE I AM!! I've tried every diet known to mankind and the only thing I was successful at was Weight Watchers (nearly 60 lbs lost in less than 4 months). That was 2006 and by 2007 it had all found its way back, plus some :(

I went for my first consult March 6, was told I needed a sleep study done, which I completed last night (worst 2 nights of my life). Im hoping to be approved by Friday this week to get this show on the road! Thanks to each and every one of yiu guys for sharing so much....I've learned a TON just by reading all of your feedback! I have 2 friends that had bypass surgery, both were highly successful, but one of them has gained about half or more of her 100+ lbs back. I walked with her through her journey and it was NOT pretty. I decided duribg her recivery stage that bypass would NEVER be an option for me. I also have 3 friends that had lap band. 1 had HUGE success, but I feel she was losing too fast & was not using the band "correctly". She mentally has lost her mind (divorced husband, gave him custody if their 2 daughters, partys like a rock star and honestly, looks HORRIBLE). The second friend hasnt had much success at all (10 lbs lost over 4 years), but the third friend is doing great! Happy, healthy, losing slow and steady! Shes using her band as the tool it was intended to be! All of these friends are 100% supportive of my decision, unfortunately I have a few family members that are so jealous that I'm having it done that I can't even speak to them about it.

DesertJourneyBegins-300x191.png

hi and welcome. this is a great site.

take from it what you will but support is what is offered.

great story and a even better attitude. :)

Well, You my friend sound like an exceptional person, and I can't see anything BUT success for you. I was so inspired to read a little of your story, and see the thought that you put behind your decision. I did that too. I could have opted for the bypass, but saw so many of the people I knew, gain the weight back or fail at changing their eating habits and not succeed. I know that this is going to be a life long struggle for me. And I prove it daily.. I have my good and bad days, but I monitor my weight very closely because I know that my body has Fat memory.. heheh.. like people talk about muscle memory. And if I eat the wrong things, I can gain 5 lbs in one day!!! I have a lot more to lose then you do, but it will be no less a struggle for you then it is for me. I would love to be your band buddy. I have friended a few... but they've disappeared... and not in a weight loss way... hahha.. Good luck to you.. and let me know if you wanna vent/talk/dream... :)

Congrats and welcome to band land.

Being a mom of 3, I know how hard it is to turn the attention onto yourself. But I don't need to tell you, this is for them just as much as it is for you. So if you ever feel guilty, just think..it's for them not me (smirk) it works in both directions. lol

Hope you get that pesky approval so you can start your journey. You have the right understanding and are sensible so I'm certain you'll be a success!

Hi rhodesk. Welcomei I am very new to this site. But I would like to offer you any and all the help I can. I was banded in 2012. Feb. My story is this- I was always heavy. I exercised. Lifted weights. Always considered myself in decent shaoe, but heavy. I was always around 260, but what I considered a healthy 260. Guess i was just kidding myself. But I was strong as anything, so figured it was ok. As a teen I had my run around with an eating disorder. Lost alot of weight that way. Than somehow got over it, thank God, and put the weight on. Was still aroung that 260 mark. Than decided the time was now to fix my weight. So I did a very popular all Protein diet, which to this day I swear messed my body up. i lost alot of weight on it. But than eventually went off it. And gained my weight back. 240. 250. 260. Back at that all knowing 260. But than something odd happened. 265. 270. 280. 290. 300. I couldn't believe it. 300. Not my usual 260??? So started to panic. Surely it must stop. 310. 320.330. 340. I was out of control. What went wrong? I started to try and get it under control. Best I could do was with weight watchers get back to 270. And than once off back to 340. I was upset. Hated everything. My wife decided she was going to get banded. She wanted me to also. I wasn't ready. I said I could do it on my own. So on my 40 birthday I once again said I will loseeight! If after a year I don't lose anything than I will get help. One year later The scale had me at the same exact weight. And that was it. So while taking her to an appointment I calmly looked at the receptionist and said- can I have an appointment too. My wife was floored. Ironicly, and without any planning, I got banded one year to the day later than my wife. Same exact appointment time too. LOL. So I have been on this journey since.

I have seen success and failure with the band. My cousin lost alot of weight, but proceeded to put it ALL back on. Which scared the heck out of me. My friend has been pretty successful. My sis in law, not sure why she even bothered cause she never took one day of it seriously. She never lost a pound. And truthfully, didn't deserve to after the way she neglected it.

My wife was doing great right off the bat. But soon we went through our share of family dilemas, mainly brought on by her sister. And were those dilemas doozies. So stress? oh yeah we had that. I went off my diet for about six months. gained back 10 pounds. Which I was more than happy about cause I figured it would have been much worse. So the day after Christmas I went back in. Since then I have dropped twenty pounds and am going strong.

Well, I just wanted to wish you the best. And again, If I can help in any way please do not hesitate to ask. You can do it!!!!!

Draven, I laughed while reading your story. Probably because I think in the beginning we could all relate to the 10, 20, 30 lb gains and than when being in disbelief when you were at your highest. I also chuckle at that effort to lose just to regain it. I am also laughing because my husband did the same thing. I broached the subject of getting a band. He hesitated and said in a year if I don't do this than yes . We both waited a year, and gained. We were both banded same day together a year after that conversation.

The band has been a great tool. Despite having gotten pregnant and having some medical/stress issues of my own that took me off the diet track...I didn't gain. Without the band, I am certain I would have gained an easy 50 lbs. Scary thought. So even in the worse of times, my band comes through is my supportive companion. But I'm paying it back and have been losing pounds and inches. I was 199 during the holidays and I'm 169 today.

As for the relatives, how the heck can you have a band and NOT lose 1 lb geeeeesh! Makes us bandsters look bad hahaha

Not only did she not lose, she gained! But again, that was totally on her. Truth be told, she is not my favorite person on the planet. LOL. But she was just not into it at all. In fact I'm sure the only reason she went for it was because her sister , my wife, did. And I'm sure her thought pattern was- no way is my sister gonna look better than me. She was back to drinking soda within a week. Than added her steady diet of milk shakes because they slid past band easy. Than back to eating whatever, whenever. I dont mean to knock her, but in the last year her actions have been so awful that it has completely made me lose any positive feelings i had for her. It's a sad story. And there is no helping her.

I swear I love you guys!!! Lol!! I dont have a lot of spare time at the moment, but your sister in law sounds like BOTH of my sisters in law AND MY MOTHER!! I was venting to my Mom about the timing, financially, for me to be having the band. Since I'm paying cash for it, its also going to fall right around the same time as prom (I have 2 going this year) and my daughter is standing up in her first quincenaera (sp??) a month later. My mom's reply: "Well, MAYBE if your Dad keeps working some overtime I can help the boys with prom money, but I'm not giving you money for the surgery because I feel like I'M the one who should be having it done." WTF!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW?!? For starters, I did not (and would not!!) ask you for money and secondly, my mother has Lupus, COPD, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Chronic Bronchitis and the list goes on.....yeah, yall see what I'm dealing with now?

Oh Please let me chime in on this one..who doesn't have in law issues.

I live with mine (did I just hear a pity sigh?).

My MIL is a diet sabotager. So being on a diet and banded means..let's give her my leftovers, the burnt banana nut breads I made, the fattiest franks I can find in the state, etc. And shall I talk about my kids. I pride myself on raising my kids to be healthy. But she's rather encourage eating excessively, giving them an Easter basket filled with literally 10 bags of 100 pc candies, etc. We have wars over this....

But my favorite is the competition...she likes to play at dieting..and is an elitist by nature so you can never teach her anything. So..as the weight falls off me she's maintains. Why? Well she doesnt know because all she ever eats is salad (plus heaps of dressing, croutons and the such), chicken wings (because they're Protein you know), and my most recent favorite was going to Panera where they post their calories. Here I am eating small Soup (80 cals) and a turkey sandwich (220 but I took off the bread). She gets the fiji salad (540) and an oatmeal raisen cookie (360 cal, I couldnt believe it). She ate near my entire daily calories in one sitting..but she doesnt know why she can't lose weight.

Yeah I have Inlaw issues...can you tell?

Oh mikeswife and rho, sadly I think I have you beat. Lmao. A few years ago my wife begs me to let her parents live with us. I refused. Refused. Refused. Until I couldn't refuse her anymore. Bad mistake. So her parents are living with us. Mind you, they are two of the most miserable people you've ever met. Than my sister in law breaks up with her husband and immediately falls in love and moves in with this wanna be rock star. Who's also a drunk. And recovering addict. I don't fault him for that. We all have our demons. However, I really just didn't like him. But they are in love. Lol.

So, suddenly this woman who breaks up with her SECOND husband because he wants to have kids and she absolutely never wants them, decides to get pregnant with third husbands child. Lost yet? Lmao. So now they have a kid. Lol. Meanwhile, back at the justice league, my mother in law and father in law decade twenty years of marriage is too much, so they split up. And I very selfishly think, we'll that's one down . Wrong, I know. Lol. So I start to look at this new arrangement with only her mother living with us, start to accept it for what it means when suddenly, yep you guessed it, in comes sister in law. Seems married life wasn't for her. It interfered with her going out sleeping with every other guy she could get her hands on. Swear, Spanish soap operas have nothing on me. So rock star husband becomes so distraught that he decides life isn't worth living. Swear to god. So now sister in law and their daughter move in as well. lMAO. The same week, I swear to god! , father in law passes away. You can't make this up. Lol.

Now here's the kicker. This all happened this summer. Lol. So when I went to doc after a six month hiatus they say- what stress could you be under that you didn't focus on diet or come in. So I told them. They said they were amazed I only gained back eleven pounds. Lol. So was I.

And rho, how's this one for money and mother in laws. I lent mine five thousand to pay a bill. She got ten thousand the other day. So what would be the logical thing to do? Pay me back? Lmao. Get ready. She says she ran up a credit card five grand and wants to pay that off. That leaves five thousand left right? Well, now get ready for this one. She says" I'm gonna hang on to it cause I might want to buy some things, but if I don't ill give it to you next year." I Swear to God. Lmao.

Therefore, I believe the correct phrase now mikeswife and rho would be, checkmate. Lmao.

Draven....thats pretty darn good I must confess!! Lol!! Isnt it just terribly sad how selfish miserable people are? I love my mother, dont get me wrong, but she has always been selfish. Even as a child I remember spending my summers with my Aunt & Grandma because my Mom was si hard to live with. As I get older my family gives me more examples of the kind of person my mom was, even during her childhood. Now, my step dad, who officialky adopted me at age 12, thinks my mother is the best thing since sliced bread, but then again, he doesnt have much self esteem either. I'm sure any that he had prior to them being married 32 yrs ago has been sucked out of him because he follows my mom around like a whipped puppy. Anyhow, he makes decent money. Enough that they DEFINETELY should have some retirement, savings, etc. But NOPE! They rarely make ut paycheck to paycheck (paid weekly by the way). Last week mom calls and says "Can I come take a shower? I think my hot Water heater went out." INSTANTLY I ask "Mom, did you pay your gas bill?" Her response "Well, its not due until tomorrow". Mmmmmmmmm-- kay....anyone who knows my mom, knows this really means that it was due LAST WEEK, she was just trying to squeeze another week out if the gas company. Long story short, she didnt pay her gas bill, and *I* had to pay it for her. Oh and btw...not only did she not pay this bill, but she hadnt paid the previous month either, so that $90 gas bill actually cost me $230. The VERY NEXT DAY (dads pay day) she calls and says "Hey, we are thinking about going down to this gameroom down the road and I'm sure we will win some money, but I just wanted to be sure before we go that if we lose the last $200 we have to our name that you will be able to loan us gas money until your dad gets paid". OH....MY.....GAWD!!! Ummmm....I just paid your gas bill!!! I just hung up & acted like my battery died. I called my Grandma to vent and asked when I would ever be finished raising my parents because I did NOT sign up for this sh*t. My poor Grandma & Grandpa....they are fairly wealthy, but they've also learned to say NO to my mother, THANK GOD!!

Lol, are you sure our families aren't related? Lol. I have learned that miserable people can just suck the life out of you. I am trying to remain positive during all this. But it is difficult.

By the way, just a quick follow up, this did all happen this summer. And how is dear old sis, well six months later- oh she's in love again. But this time it's different. She swears. Lmao. I give it two months and he moves in too. Lmao.

hahaha.. you people are hilarious!!! This is better then watching soaps. I don't have in-law issues..I have CHILDREN issues!! Grown azz people living in my house, cooking fried food every night at 1:00 am ... it smells like Mel's Diner in here!!! I have been the biggest person in my family since ... forever... but now.. I am steadily loosing... and they are all gaining.. I am gonna be smaller then my children!!! And when I finally am able to shove my son and his fiancee' out the door and we finally have an empty nest.. I am turning the extra room we have into a "red ear turtle" sanctuary!!! At least they eat healthy things.. hahha. I already sold all the living room furniture. They came out and were like "hey are we getting a new couch?" NOPE!! I went out and bought a bowflex, treadmill, stationary bike, weight bench, free weights, stepper, two swiss balls and yoga mats. I turning my living room into a LIVE LONGER room!!!

hahaha.. you people are hilarious!!! This is better then watching soaps. I don't have in-law issues..I have CHILDREN issues!! Grown azz people living in my house, cooking fried food every night at 1:00 am ... it smells like Mel's Diner in here!!! I have been the biggest person in my family since ... forever... but now.. I am steadily loosing... and they are all gaining.. I am gonna be smaller then my children!!! And when I finally am able to shove my son and his fiancee' out the door and we finally have an empty nest.. I am turning the extra room we have into a "red ear turtle" sanctuary!!! At least they eat healthy things.. hahha. I already sold all the living room furniture. They came out and were like "hey are we getting a new couch?" NOPE!! I went out and bought a bowflex, treadmill, stationary bike, weight bench, free weights, stepper, two swiss balls and yoga mats. I turning my living room into a LIVE LONGER room!!!

I LOVE THIS!!!

A couple of years ago my husband and I decided to move to the west coast of Florida. We'd live on the east coast for 25 years and wanted a change. The last of 6 children was still in the house - he was 20 years old at the time. We thought he'd live with us forever. We tried making it less comfortable for him. He cooked for himself, did his own laundry, came and went as he wished. We just wished he would want to be in his own place with a friend or two. Not happening. So we decided to move. We left him there. With the utility bills to pay and the lawn to keep up. We have never regretted that decision. He moved within two months, we packed up the house and sold it a month later. We all are living happily ever after.

Enjoy your new exercise room - you deserve it!