Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone have a problem with pop/soda?

never ever thought id survive without my diet soda iv

but day i started preop, havent had one since

i had headache for about 4 or 5 days, detoxing i guess

but good riddance....i choose to listen to what my dr says.

he said no more carbonation, so no it is.

however some will say they drink a soda or beer or whatever.

i say do what your dr says and not worry about what anyone else does or dont

because it dont matter..

Thanks Carolinagal ... Its nice to know that you loved the diet soda too and just quit. None it is!! Did you try and stop before surgery or wait.until after?

I loved diet soda. The truth is I have cheated once or twice post surgery. And both times I HATED the taste of both diet or regular. So now easy as heck to avoid. Best of luck!

I would start cutting back now. Therefore, it would be easier when you have the surgery. That will be one least thing to adjust to after being banded.

Thanks Carolinagal ... Its nice to know that you loved the diet soda too and just quit. None it is!! Did you try and stop before surgery or wait.until after?

i drank right up til night before i started my pre op

i drank my diet pepsi and my coors light

it boiled down to me either deciding to do it or not

i had to make a change by getting the lap band.

i wanted/needed to lose weight..so i found want power

I am very nervous about my pop/ soda habit. I currently drink at least 1 liter of soda a day. Its Diet Dr Pepper. I also love my coffee with French vanilla International Delight Creamer. Funny now that this is becoming real that I'm more worried about what I drink than what I eat??

Ya soda wasn't an option for me... The carbonation is a killer... At least for me. For me anything sweet whether it had calories or not made me hungry. So I ate and drank sweet things in small portions right before bed. Worked for me

I haven't touched any carbonation since being banded 14 months ago. It's just not worth the risk of a slip so I gave it up when I had the surgery. When I was in the hospital having my Lap Band surgery' date=' my roommate was in having her band replaced. Her band not only slipped but her stomach prolapsed up through her band- and it was caused by her drinking soda. She also regained 40 pounds. You couldn't pay me to drink carbonation since being banded, I don't ever want to go through what that woman did.

As far as coffee, they make some really good sugar free and low calorie coffee Creamers. I still have a high calorie coffee drink once in awhile as a treat but when I do I am sure to count it in my daily calories.[/quote']

I too will not take the chance on drinking anything with carbonation

You can do it! My surgery is not til mid August early September and I'm already almost 30 days clean of diet drinks. The carbonation is an addiction and it's hard but it's mind over matter which I'm sure this whole process is!

I am very nervous about my pop/ soda habit. I currently drink at least 1 liter of soda a day. Its Diet Dr Pepper. I also love my coffee with French vanilla International Delight Creamer. Funny now that this is becoming real that I'm more worried about what I drink than what I eat??

My Dr said no soda ever again. I was really bummed about that and thought I'd have a hard time. I loved my Diet Coke. But honestly for me it wasnt hard Havent had one in 5 months. I replaced it with Crystal Light Peach Tea. Or Snapple Diet Peach Tea.

I am very nervous about my pop/ soda habit. I currently drink at least 1 liter of soda a day. Its Diet Dr Pepper. I also love my coffee with French vanilla International Delight creamer. Funny now that this is becoming real that I'm more worried about what I drink than what I eat??

I was married to diet coke.... It was harder to give that up than anything else. But every time I want one I remind myself that it could cause a medical problem with my band and ignore the cravings.... It's very hard but if I can do it anyone can!!

My Dr said no soda ever again. I was really bummed about that and thought I'd have a hard time. I loved my Diet Coke. But honestly for me it wasnt hard Havent had one in 5 months. I replaced it with Crystal Light Peach Tea. Or Snapple Diet Peach Tea.

Those of you that haven't been banded, after you try and drink it the first time you'll not want it anymore... More stuff you just won't worry about after your banded. Discomfort is a powerful motivator.

I started cutting it out ahead of time. First, I switched to diet (I drank regular). Then, I switched to diet caffeine free (because I knew I'd have withdrawals). Then, I slowly phased it out entirely. For me, it worked. I knew I couldn't just go cold turkey on all that sugar, caffeine, and carbonation all at one time.

It's weird, but I honestly don't even miss it now. I drink a lot of Water and when I feel like I want something sweet to drink, I drink Lipton Diet Green Tea, in either mixed berry or citrus flavor. It's really good, zero calories, and no carbonation.

I also find that the Diet Green Tea is a good alternative to Water. I get in all my water, but sometimes just want something different. I gave up diet soda the first day of my pre-op diet and haven't missed it all that much. I thought having no caffeine would be horrible. Not nearly as bad as I thought!

My doc said no soda so I don't drink it. I finally had one this past Friday because one of my parents at work made lunch for us and brought sodas. So I didn't want to be rude and not drink one. I had a 7 up. It was really good. I had forgotten what carbonated drinks taste like.

My doc said no soda so I don't drink it. I finally had one this past Friday because one of my parents at work made lunch for us and brought sodas. So I didn't want to be rude and not drink one. I had a 7 up. It was really good. I had forgotten what carbonated drinks taste like.

My doc also stated that I might be able perhaps have one can of Diego soda a week...if my tummy could take it. I think just hearing that they're still available to me won't make it so bad!

I am very nervous about my pop/ soda habit. I currently drink at least 1 liter of soda a day. Its Diet Dr Pepper. I also love my coffee with French Vanilla International Delight creamer. Funny now that this is becoming real that I'm more worried about what I drink than what I eat??

Ok, I'm post op going on 3 months. Have not totally given up my diet soda. I still drink it but very slowly and I let the ice melt a little in the glass so it gets flat. I have mainly been drinking snapple and Crystal Light. I am finding it harder to give up my diet Pepsi than it was to give up cigarettes 30 years ago. I gave up a 2 pack a day habit cold turkey and have not smoked in 30 years! The diet soda was my one vice that I enjoyed immensely. I'm going to need a lot of encouragement to get me totally off the blasted stuff. I feel no discomfort after drinking my diet soda so far. My doctor is aware of my problem and he said that some of his patients are able to tolerate soda so the jury is out on that I guess. If you guys encourage me enough maybe I can get off of it totally. any support is appreciated! Thanks!