Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone have a problem with pop/soda?

I am very nervous about my pop/ soda habit. I currently drink at least 1 liter of soda a day. Its Diet Dr Pepper. I also love my coffee with French vanilla International Delight Creamer. Funny now that this is becoming real that I'm more worried about what I drink than what I eat??

Ok, I'm post op going on 3 months. Have not totally given up my diet soda. I still drink it but very slowly and I let the ice melt a little in the glass so it gets flat. I have mainly been drinking snapple and Crystal Light. I am finding it harder to give up my diet Pepsi than it was to give up cigarettes 30 years ago. I gave up a 2 pack a day habit cold turkey and have not smoked in 30 years! The diet soda was my one vice that I enjoyed immensely. I'm going to need a lot of encouragement to get me totally off the blasted stuff. I feel no discomfort after drinking my diet soda so far. My doctor is aware of my problem and he said that some of his patients are able to tolerate soda so the jury is out on that I guess. If you guys encourage me enough maybe I can get off of it totally. any support is appreciated! Thanks!

Ok' date=' I'm post op going on 3 months. Have not totally given up my diet soda. I still drink it but very slowly and I let the ice melt a little in the glass so it gets flat. I have mainly been drinking snapple and Crystal Light. I am finding it harder to give up my diet Pepsi than it was to give up cigarettes 30 years ago. I gave up a 2 pack a day habit cold turkey and have not smoked in 30 years! The diet soda was my one vice that I enjoyed immensely. I'm going to need a lot of encouragement to get me totally off the blasted stuff. I feel no discomfort after drinking my diet soda so far. My doctor is aware of my problem and he said that some of his patients are able to tolerate soda so the jury is out on that I guess. If you guys encourage me enough maybe I can get off of it totally. any support is appreciated! Thanks![/quote']

I am not much of a soda drinker, so I don't think I will have such a hard time giving that up. I am, though, a smoker. And congrats to you for your 30 years! That is awesome! I recently tried quitting cold turkey. I "quit" Sunday (3-17) I've had 5 cigarettes since then.(3 on Tuesday, and 2 on Wednesday) I didn't smoke 2 packs a day, but 6-8 cigarettes a day, but still find it hard to stop. It's funny though, because I only smoke at work, and not at home or anywhere else lol haven't had one today, and it is getting a bit easier. My co-worker smokes and she's nice enough not to smoke in front of me. I get banded on April 26 and the psychiatrist told me I will need to stop smoking before surgery so I thought I'd just go ahead and give it up all together. So far so good, well I think so anyway :)

three years and 4 months out. I still have one 8oz mt dew....... takes me all day to drink and into the night. I keep it in the fridge and take a sip every so often.

when i started pre op, i was told no more soda......and for 2 1/2 weeks, i detoxed if you will...but the dr gave me on my handout, the day before, i could have soda....so at work, me and my friend joe, got a cold diet pepsi and we poured some into a small cup.....we were having a good bye toast....let me tell you, 1 small sip after 2 1/2 weeks, and i spit it right out. IT WAS NASTY.....

but when i hear someone opening a can or see one in a cold fridge, i sometimes want one......esp coors light...

but ah is the life i chose as a lap bander.

I was told no carbonation ever and I quit cold turkey days before surgery. I only drank Diet Mt Dew.

I was just thinking yesterday, how I wish I could reach ppl, how much better my life is without soda. My skin and my bladder are the biggest improvements. I used to have to pee (tmi) after just about half a can of soda. At night I would get up 4-5 times a night. But now even though I drink Water constantly, I can go 3-4 hours without having to go. My skin is so smooth and soft , none greasy.

Like CG, when I hear someone pop a can of soda, for a minute I really would like one, but then I think I really like whats happening with my body and starting again is not worth it.

Like someone else stated here, if you try one sip you will not like it and I truly believe that b/c even now Propel which I liked is even to sweet tasting now.

I also found that sweets, artifical or not make me crave more sweets, so I limited my lo cal sweets, even my artifical sweets (Splenda)

Just my observation and opinion.

I was a terrible Diet Pepsi addict. I drank it day and night. I would go through two 24 packs alone per week not including the cans I would get from my office vending machine. April 14th will mark one year since I last had a drop of soda and Guinness. Missed my Guinness last weekend a little bit but I am OK without the soda. Surprised how easy it was to give it up. I guess you prepare and get your head straight leading up to Surgery that you just don't miss it or at least I didn't.

I am also a coke addict (coke zero). I gave it up the day of surgery. I thought it is going to be too hard to quit that but I was surprised it wasn't.

I felt the same way! Before pre-op I thought I would have a harder time giving it up. Honestly, I don't even think about it anymore! Hoping the transition will be easier than you thought. :)

I started cutting it out ahead of time. First' date=' I switched to diet (I drank regular). Then, I switched to diet caffeine free (because I knew I'd have withdrawals). Then, I slowly phased it out entirely. For me, it worked. I knew I couldn't just go cold turkey on all that sugar, caffeine, and carbonation all at one time.

It's weird, but I honestly don't even miss it now. I drink a lot of Water and when I feel like I want something sweet to drink, I drink Lipton Diet Green Tea, in either mixed berry or citrus flavor. It's really good, zero calories, and no carbonation.[/quote']

I switched from Diet Coke (I was soooooo addicted) to unsweetened tea to deaf tea. I never want caffeine to control me again!

I drank a liter of diet Dr. Pepper and Freska just about EVERYDAY.

I stopped "cold-turkey" the day before my surgery. My doctor said no carbonated beverages. Silly me I've tried diet pop and beer on two different occasion over the past 7 years and thought I was going to DIE... the pain was so bad.

I really don't miss it... I prefer being thin :) I really enjoy the Nestle Pure Splash Orange Water.

I didn't realize how much sodium was in diet pop... and when I got weighed-in my first week I was down 17 lbs !!! The doctor said it was because I had cut out the diet pop.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

I drink diet all the time, I just have to pour it in a glass and wait for it to fizz out a little. Don't get caught up in what everyone else's dr told them..! Your body and limitations are unique! Do what works for you and advised by your surgeon! Good luck.!

I'm the same way so I'm not sure how supportive I'll be but we'll do it together!

I walked out of my preop appointment and stopped smoking, started the preop diet gave up my coke and sweets it is hard but it is all for the greater good

When it comes to drinking soda, whether diet or regular, you have to ask yourself, Am I having WLS for better health? and if so, What is in soda that is so healthy?

I walked out of my preop appointment and stopped smoking, started the preop diet gave up my coke and sweets it is hard but it is all for the greater good

Good for you, smoking, soda and sweets. Sounds like you want to get healthy.

It is hard at first, but after getting the sweets out of your system, you won't even miss them.

Think of the money you're saving by not smoking,woohoo.

Wishing you a success journey to health.

Excellent point Maddy.. and if there is even a slight chance that carbonation can cause damage to the band... is it worth it ??

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs