Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have any experience with FMLA?

Before you go asking why I'm wondering let me explain. I've already brought up my surgery (whenever it's set!) with my supervisor. My job is set up through a labor union contract and they are SUPER SUPER strict on absences and such. If I am going to be gone more than 2 days, I need to fill out an FMLA to be sure it's an actual medical leave. I know I'm only gone a week but he really said I should do it for the job security (and yes I am still going to be able to use sick time for it and be paid).

That being said, I'm only 25 and have never had any major medical things come up. I looked into filling this out and I'm SO confused. My HR department is not very helpful and basically told me to read the government website on it. I did that but am still unsure of how the process works. Could anyone shed some light on it for me? I asked in another forum elsewhere and the people there treated me like I was some sort of idiot for not understanding. Any info is helpful =)

For FMLA, you'll have to get the required paperwork from your employer. You will have to have your doctor fill it out then give it to your HR department.

To qualify, you have to have been employed with your currently employer for at least 1 year. When on FMLA time, your employer does not have to pay you nor do they have to promise your same job upon your return. All they are required to do is give you a job of comparable pay and ability upon your return.

Hope that helps!

For mine, i had to fill out the papers, faxed them over to the drs office they completed there part then faxed them back to the HR, I was approved medical leave, and short term disability. I am taking 2 weeks off, first one paid PTO and the second paid @ 66% of my usual pay per short term disability (STD). When i get ready to go back i have to get my dr to fill out a paper to return to work. Do u have a specific question? It is confusing, it was my first time too, and my supervisor didnt know how to do anything! Luckily the HR was able to help. The HR has to deal with it alot, with pregnancy usually, the questions on the form kinda seem like they may not pertain to us, but to have this surgery it is a medically necessary leave of absence that they should grant. My job did. I answered the questions as best i could, didnt feel like i did them right, but i was as truthful as possible. Let me know if theres anything else i can try and help with!

Before you go asking why I'm wondering let me explain. I've already brought up my surgery (whenever it's set!) with my supervisor. My job is set up through a labor union contract and they are SUPER SUPER strict on absences and such. If I am going to be gone more than 2 days, I need to fill out an FMLA to be sure it's an actual medical leave. I know I'm only gone a week but he really said I should do it for the job security (and yes I am still going to be able to use sick time for it and be paid).

That being said, I'm only 25 and have never had any major medical things come up. I looked into filling this out and I'm SO confused. My HR department is not very helpful and basically told me to read the government website on it. I did that but am still unsure of how the process works. Could anyone shed some light on it for me? I asked in another forum elsewhere and the people there treated me like I was some sort of idiot for not understanding. Any info is helpful =)

Hi! I wouldn't say I'm an expert on FMLA, but consider myself pretty familiar with it. I am also a union rep at my work location.If you are a covered employee, working for a covered employer, and your location has paid sick leave, YOU CAN use your paid sick leave in while you are off on FMLA leave. "The leaves run concurrently" You must use your employers normal practices for applicable leave. Meaning that if your employer offers sick pay, and you apply for FMLA, they can NOT deny your sick pay soley on the fact you requested it be protected under FMLA. This is not a company benefit, its the law. (I've got arbitrators decision's on this case if needed) Basically, you will need to inform your employer of your upcoming surgery. Your employer should provide you with their normally used form for your Doctor to fill out or may request you to have your doctor to complete a Dept. of Labor form (can be found here: http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/employeeguide.htm ) or possibly both. If you are covered by a union contract, ask your rep. We deal with this often.

The company that I work for has an external agency that handles FMLA or any kind of leave. All I had to do is call them and they did all the paperwork including sending the surgeon's office papers that they need.

Here's the most commonly used form from the Dept. of Labor website concerning FMLA:

http://www.dol.gov/w...ms/WH-380-E.pdf

That is so great! Thanks so much! You guys are all so helpful I love it :D