Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

An addicts successful realization.

I just walked in the house and the first thing that crossed my mind was head to the kitchen and decide what to have for supper. I stopped myself and said why are you going to the kitchen your not hungry it's just what you are used to doing. Much like spending 10 minutes looking for your cigarettes then realizing you haven't bought a pack in 2 weeks because your quitting.

I have been fat all my life, I have smoked since I was 11 that's 35 years. I have abused alcohol and or other drugs from the age of 14-35. Today was the first time I realized to change these behaviors all require the same things. Not only do you have to change the behavior you must change the vicious cycle that got you there in the first place. Such as not making food so important. Knowing that difference between wanting something and needing something.

Well I don't know if this is the right forum for this and don't know if this qualifies as a success but it is a success to me. Just in case here are my successes I was banded on 1/21/13 and have lost 17 lbs. I have not bought a pack of cigarettes since Feb. 11th. I was bumming one here and there but have not touched one in over a week.

extremely powerful and i am beyond proud of you for stopping smoking...you are already a hero in my eyes.

but what stuck out to me was your words.

Knowing that difference between wanting something and needing something.

once someone understands this, they will succeed.

i myself needed to read this and i am so glad i did.

​You're on the right site. You talk, we all listen and learn from each other. I never smoked but my husband and 2 sons did and I know they had lots of trouble quitting. Very happy for you.

Good luck with your new Band.

You get a standing ovation from me! Congrats!! :)

My biggest struggle is learning that difference between the want and the need. Your success is HUGE, good job!!! :)

I have to add something to my successes. I am no longer on cholesterol meds. Doctor say they are in a range I should be able to control with diet and exercise. Cholesterol meds today, blood pressure meds tomorrow?

I so agree this deserves a standing ovation YOU GO GIRL !!!!

This is definitely a success!!! I'm still trying to deal with eating when it's tone to feed the kids and when I'm actually hungry. Great NSV!!

No cholesterol medication, that is truly a blessing. How, wonderful. Watch out blood pressure meds Cruz y'all are next!!!! Keep us posted.

Your a superhero in my eyes. It's very hard to work on both addictions.

"This girl is on fire!" ~ Alicia Keys