Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Binging & Head Hunger

Hello Lap Band community,

I have always been a binge eater. I remember as a child having to sell candy bars for school fundraisers. I would steal money from my parents change jar to buy candy bars for myself and then hide them in my room, and binge on them. In high school I could go through a bag of cheetos or doritos in a day or two - back then I was very athletic so it didn't show. In college, I started putting on weight. And after college, I really started putting on weight.

I can be excellent at self-control until about 8:30pm. I will measure, track, and choose only the healthiest foods. Then after dinner I get the head hunger. And, binge. Now that I have the band, my binges are usually more petite then they used to be. But, I still get this crazy mental urge that I must have sugar/chips/whatever right now and find it very difficult to dissuade myself. It feels like a compulsion and makes me feel very out of control and dissapointed in myself.

When I am living alone, I simply don't bring the bad stuff into the house. I can't binge on sugary foods if there aren't any in the cabinet. But, right now I live with family and they are always bringing in Cookies, cakes, icecream, candies, etc. I ask them to please keep the sugary foods in a private place and not in the common areas of the house. But, of course, that only happens on occassion. And, I really really wish I had the self-control to know it is in the kitchen at night and not eat it! Some nights I do okay and other nights I fail. I lose weight at times where I have more self-control and gain when my control falters and I binge eat daily for months on end.

Is there anyone out there who has conquered binge eating? For the general community, how do you handle head hunger?

-Hilary

Hello Lap Band community,

I have always been a binge eater. I remember as a child having to sell candy bars for school fundraisers. I would steal money from my parents change jar to buy candy bars for myself and then hide them in my room, and binge on them. In high school I could go through a bag of cheetos or doritos in a day or two - back then I was very athletic so it didn't show. In college, I started putting on weight. And after college, I really started putting on weight.

I can be excellent at self-control until about 8:30pm. I will measure, track, and choose only the healthiest foods. Then after dinner I get the head hunger. And, binge. Now that I have the band, my binges are usually more petite then they used to be. But, I still get this crazy mental urge that I must have sugar/chips/whatever right now and find it very difficult to dissuade myself. It feels like a compulsion and makes me feel very out of control and dissapointed in myself.

When I am living alone, I simply don't bring the bad stuff into the house. I can't binge on sugary foods if there aren't any in the cabinet. But, right now I live with family and they are always bringing in Cookies, cakes, icecream, candies, etc. I ask them to please keep the sugary foods in a private place and not in the common areas of the house. But, of course, that only happens on occassion. And, I really really wish I had the self-control to know it is in the kitchen at night and not eat it! Some nights I do okay and other nights I fail. I lose weight at times where I have more self-control and gain when my control falters and I binge eat daily for months on end.

Is there anyone out there who has conquered binge eating? For the general community, how do you handle head hunger?

-Hilary

Fortunately, the band has taken care of that for me....the big thing I needed to do is concentrate on learning to live wit the band.....

i think you have better control of yourself then you think...i was also a binger..heck i even planned mine and herded my family to leave so i could binge..i tell myself, if i come to a red light and its red, am i gonna run it or stop and wait til it turns green?

same thing with (binge eating or eating more than my allotted amount). i make the choice to do the right thing....so if you are hungry at night drink and see if that helps...if not, eat something. eat something with Protein (to help you feel full) and enjoy it..(my hub/son loves Snacks goodies too. just because those items are there, they do not have that power over me that i must eat them... so what if they are there. i dont believe in will power... its my want power that stops me from eating that entire bag of lays while watching rupaul drag race).

Night times are my downfall as well. Things that I use for the cravings are a small snack, strong Decaf coffee. You would be surprised how decadent this combination can feel. Then there are the distractions, I play will play my guitar, play a video game, get involved in a movie or a book, walk on the treadmill or go sit in the hot tub.

Long term, try to think about why this is happening, is it boredom? Anxiety? And try to deal with the root causes even if it means therapy.

maybe a fill when I am in the green zone food doesn't call me..My problem is after lunch time so I make sure to have my yogurt with fruit sometimes and if it contuine I have some fruit...keep the junk away and only binge on the good stuff.

I use to be a huge bing eatter also.....

I still can do awsome all day then come 8 pm it starts....

For me I just make sure I dont have any trigger foods handy....

and if I do...I keep them out of site...some times I just have to

run Water over them if the urge is strong and I have had one and want another...

I would rather throw the junk away then eat it......

~hugs~ head hunger is the hardest to conquer..but you CAN DO IT

I was craving something sugary last night. I settled for a peeled apple(peeling is important, it keeps you busy and the peels won't clog the band). 90 calories later I was fine.

I can do good all day them boom 8 clock just like you dee it starts. I always save calories for my apple and peanutbutter. I know its more head than hunger cuz I know I have them calories left to eat so I do, real hunger of not. One habit I'm trying to break.

Beth....when i sit and think about it...8 pm is when the house is finally calming down....and its my way to relax....so yep...save some calories and have healthy Snacks around....i use to like trisket crackers and a wedge of baby bell chees at night...

I changed my eating schedule around it. I know some think that eating late at night isn't good for you, but it works for me! I am not that hungry during the day so I save the majority of my calories for later at night! 1200 calories is 1200 calories whether I eat them in the morning or at night. I realize some say it doesn't get your metabolism going or you don't burn calories the same, however, if I binge it adds more calories and that's not beneficial either. I always make sure I save enough calories for my 90 calorie SF pudding if I sneak to the kitchen in the middle of the night! Sometimes I visit the frig to get it, sometimes I dont! But I think the biggest part for me is knowing it's there if I want it!

I changed my eating schedule around it. I know some think that eating late at night isn't good for you, but it works for me! I am not that hungry during the day so I save the majority of my calories for later at night! 1200 calories is 1200 calories whether I eat them in the morning or at night. I realize some say it doesn't get your metabolism going or you don't burn calories the same, however, if I binge it adds more calories and that's not beneficial either. I always make sure I save enough calories for my 90 calorie SF pudding if I sneak to the kitchen in the middle of the night! Sometimes I visit the frig to get it, sometimes I dont! But I think the biggest part for me is knowing it's there if I want it!

I used to ne a night eater and when I ate, I had to eat it ALL. Icecream...cookies...you name it. After I had the band...I'm not even hungry, so after dinner, I go do things with my family. Or read. Or paint. Or watch TV/movies UPSTAIRS so I'm not tempted by the kitchen.

Maybe a fill will help me. I'm not sure, it could be psychological. I go in for a fill tomorrow.

Sometimes I have to add a snack in the eve. This is a good time for a yogurt or eveba sf pudding. You can even add Protein mix If you want. Also drink.

for me, I have this same issue. Before band, I would binge at night and now, at night, I still have cravings for something either salty or sugary, it's awful. I battle this night after night. I too live with family, my mom since my divorce and she keeps candy, and chips in the house and I cannot and will not deprive her of those foods, she is 74 and has offered a roof over my head as I had nowhere to go, on the otherhand, she is also my biggest cheerleader and is my accountability partner so at night while watching TV I can't snack as she is sitting there and watching me, lol, it is head hunger for me and psychological, it all stems back from old habits. I thoroughly sympathize with you as I feel the same way. Sometimes at night I grab a light string cheese or ff greek yogurt with fruit in it. I've come this far to turn back and I certainly do not want to go back to who I was on the day of surgery.