Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have noticed that an overwhelming number of people who are banded have hiatal hernias. I have no idea whether or not I do! I am completely self-paying for my surgery, so actually, although it sounds kind of odd, having a hiatal hernia that needs repair might help my insurance pick some of the costs up. Can someone please share with me how you knew you had one? Is there a test? Should I ask my surgeon about it? My surgery is scheduled for March 6. Thanks in advance!

According to my Doc I have a small one also. There are couple three different ways they can tell.

The most common is Barium Swallow test in which they use x-ray while you drink a liquid containing barium.

They can also see it during an endoscopy exam.

Another way is a pressure study which I'm not familiar with at all, just know that they measure the pressure in your esophagus.

That is the end of my knowledge.

HTH. :D

I am self pay also. They found mine when they went in and just repaired it. It explained things that were happening before the surgery (i.e. constantly burping after eating). It didn't cost any extra (for 16K they can put a couple of stitches in for free, IMO!).

For about 4-6 years I was being treated for asthma and then COPD and I never smoked. My breathing tests kept coming up negative so my lung doctor did a test (I was knocked out) where he put cameras down the throat and found the hernia and that my stomach was in the wrong place. He took me off all breathing meds and gave 6 pills a day to eat. When I had the Band they repaired everything and no more meds to eat! Maybe ask for more pre-screening tests to see if there is more than meets the eye. Good luck.

Hello,

I was also self pay. My surgeon said it is very common for obese people to have hiatal hernias and never know about it. He said while he was in there and I had a repair he would stitch it up for me for no additional cost.

When he went in to perform the surgery, I did have the hernia and he repaired it!

Good luck!!

I too had a 'good sized' hernia. I had the endoscopy that came bak negative for a hernia. My doc said the only real way to know was when he got in there. And sure enough! There was the trouble maker! I was a self pay and he said that there would be no extra charge to me to repair it, but he would submit it to my insurance to see if they would cover any of it.

I told him whatever he needs to do...do it!!! WOW! What a difference! I still burp a lot! But I guess that's part of my new banded life, but it's not burning, acidic burps, I can eat things that didn't agree with me before and I have not had heartburn at all since repair! I was eating antacids like candy pre surgery. I'm very happy with the results thus far!!

I was waking up during the night and downing rolaids like crazy. So one day at one of the support group meetings I mentioned it to one of the nurses and she said for me to tell the Doc nexttime I went in. So I hesitantly told him and he ordered a barium swallow. And yup, it showed a hiatal hernia and that it needed to be repaired very soon. I asked if he would take the gall bladder while in there and he said he couldn't due to cross contamination. So I had it repair and then the following year I had y gall bladder taken out. I'm really glad I had the hernia fixed. I feel a lot better and not aping for bottles of rolaids,

When I went in for my consult for the band, I mentioned that I had a hiatal hernia. I was planning on total self-pay because I didn't want to wait for six months to get insurance approval. Because of the hernia, which the insurance paid for, i only had to pay $3300 for the lap band. Not a bad deal:-) I haven't had to take any prilosec since the surgery. All negative effects from the hernia are gone! Good luck.

when i woke up from surgery, my dr told me he repaired one that i had.

didnt know i had one nor ever heard of it and hadnt a clue as to what it was...

i guess you can tell him to fix it if he see's one...but i am guessing they would anyhow.

​Somewhere someone wrote that maybe the hernia's are caused from being overweight. I wonder if it is true. For about 25 years I was told I also have an umbilical hernia and was going to have that fixed with the Band but it isn't one. The lump that sticks out when I push forward or raise my legs is something else. The surgeon explained it would be like you have a six pack and some of my insides is pushing in between it. When I am ready for a Tummy Tuck I will have it fixed, it's gross, and most likely insurance would cover the 2 surgeries at once.

You can diagnose a Hiatal Hernia with an upper GI or a scope.

I had one which was repaired with my lap band surgery.