Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restless Leg Syndrome

Who all has it, and do you take any medication to help?:confused:

Has anyone tried the new prescription?:paranoid

I take 1.5mg of melatonin nightly.:notagree But it does not ALWAYS work.

I have it. I fight through it until bedtime. At bedtime I take Ultraset. It is a pain killer that helps me relax, eases my arthritis pain, and my legs. It is also kind to the stomach. I have fibromalgia so restless legs is just another issue for me. It happens to me in the early evening while watching TV.

Is ultraset a prescription drug? My ob/gyn gave me darvocet when i was pregnant because I would have RLS so severely that I would not sleep for several days at a time. The darvocet put me to sleep, but when I tried to resume normal operations without the darvocet, I found that I was dependent on the drug to fall asleep period. There was no emotional addiction, but I was definitely physically addicted. The thought of being addicted to a prescription pain pill really scares me. I have been very hesitant to to use painkillers to treat the condition. Melatonin works most of the time, but I get really bad dreams that I cannot seem to wake up from.

I am really curious about the new drug specifically for this condition.

Yes its a prescription. It is good for arthritis, fibromalgia, and general pain. I used it when I had dental surgery as the pills they gave me didn't work. I have been using it for about 2 years. It is friendly on the stomach, which keeps me from taking most arthritis drugs.

the new drug is pretty good. RSV is actually a neurological disorder, and the new drug treats it as that, and not like the pain killers and muscle relaxants that used to be prescribed for it. I have it, but I try not to take drugs, so i deal with it. I have found the less stress in my life, the less RSV I have, so I try to do a lot of relaxation techniques before bedtime. last night was impossible for me though. our a/c is broken and it was 86 in here last night.

I have RLS and have had it all my life just about. I take Sinemet 25/100 one half to one pill as needed. Sinemet is a drug for Parkinsons Disease but it really does help...it is a VERY low dose. The one they advertise now, Relacore (I think) I haven't tried...but here's something that will make you laugh....Relacore has a tendency to make you gamble...LMAO!!!!! I swear, that is on the handout that you get at the doctors office.

Something else that usually works for me, is a very, very hot bath. I fill the tub with the hottest Water I can stand and stay in there maybe 10 minutes (till sweat is pouring from my face) then dry off and jump in the bed. I am usually asleep in 5 minutes or less. Or try leg lifts. It wears my muscles out in my legs and it will help sometimes...Good luck!!!

Something else that usually works for me, is a very, very hot bath

hey, that sounds like a medical necessity to get a hot tub! our OT for our son told us that we could deduct our $$ for our hot tub off taxes because he used it for strength training (check with your tax advisor before buying one)

I have RLS and I take ReQuip. It is a little pill and doesn't get stuck. I will have to say that since my banding, the late nights have gotten fewer and farther between but every once in a while, I still need a bit of help. No side effects from Requip for me.

My daughter takes ReQuip as need for RLS. Works better then Naproxin she was taking. She has lost 30 pounds since being banding. She says she hasn't had to take ReQuip as often lately.

I take 1/4 of the prescribed pill, Sinemet 25/100 , and I rarely take it any more. I have found if the room is very cool, 65-67, I usually sleep without it.

My husband has it bad. He'll wake up from a dead sleep and start hollering and walking back and forth. I thought he'd done lost it. LOL

He takes quinine and requip and says neither one do him any good. They put him on a muscle relaxer and that seems to be helping somewhat.

I have RLS and take Melatonin. When it doesn't work I also add an over the counter herb called Valerian. If you don't want to try perscriptions, this may be an option your Dr. would let you try. I have also had help from MSM & Glucosamine supplements. All of these are non addictive.

My hubby has it bad also. He takes Mirapex, which is a Parkinsons drug but works wonders with his RLS. Thank God for that Mirapex, or there would have been a murder or divorce coming out of our ever-shaking bed!!