Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill: When Do You Know?

Hello Bandlarians!

I'm 6 weeks post op and wondering if I should schedule my first fill. I can pretty much eat any kind of food, about 1 1/2c in volume and my weight loss has slowed to an almost stop.

Thanks for suggestions and advice.

Hi there!

Did your dr. give you any guidlines on getting a fill?

Mine made me do 5 weeks of liquids, then 2 weeks of pureed food and then a week of solids.

They even checked the calendar so I couldn't schedule before!

You might call and just find out. All dr's are different!

Best of luck to you!

leener, my surgeon scheduled my first fill at 6 weeks out. You seem to be at a perfect time for your 1st fill. Keep us posted. :confused:

Hi ALl!

No more chocolate bunnies! I got a huge headache from it too...lol

Doc said 6 weeks after OP, but I know everyone's body follows their own schedule and wanted to hear your thoughts.

Okay, I'm defo ready for one. I am hungry all the time and able to eat solids without a problem. I'm slowly gaining back the weight I lost because I'm never full.

I think it's time for my first fill.

Our surgeon scheduled us at 5 weeks post-op for our first fill. He based the amount of that fill on your description of what you can eat/feel if you have some restriction, otherwise he does it by feel. He gave me 1cc (4cc band) on my first fill b/c I had lost a lot of weight and still wasn't eating very much. Then, almost overnight, my food capacity went way up. It was still nowhere near what it was pre-op, but it was more than double what I could eat the day before, so I called and they said, "Yep, fill time!" I just had my second today and am now at 2cc in a 4cc band.

My surgeon won't allow any fills to be scheduled until 8 weeks after surgery so I'm waiting for my appointment in 5/25. Like you, I feel NO restriction from the unfilled band (since post-op Day 5) but I am determined to lose the weight and am sticking to the diet. It sounds like you're ready for a fill.

Same here Wheetsin, it seemed to "open up" overnight.

I agree Elizabeth, time for a fill. I'm really upset and the weight coming back on.

:eek: Hi,

I knew when I needed my first fill because I was literally starving and I needed to eat often as well as my weight stayed the same.

Good luck, and I hope that you are NOT worried about the fill. I was actually scared to death for nothing.

Good Luck

Banded Brenda

I'm scheduled for my first fill this Thursday. I'm not so worried about the process of getting the fill - don't get me wrong it doesn't sound like a day at the beach but I think I can handle it. What worries me most is the possibility of infecting my port. This part scares the sh+t out of me. This scares me worse than slippage or errosion. If you get a slip you go in and fix it or remove it. If you get errosion you go in and remove it. If you get an infection you try to treat it - haven't seen any reports of success with treatment - then you have the port taken out and have a drain in place for an undetermined amount of time. Then you put a port back in - and lots of times it gets infected too and you go through it again . . . See what I mean? Too damned scary. Yep, I'm freaking myself out about a very minor possibility, but . . . it happens.

I'm still feeling restriction from surgery - when I eat I have to eat very slowly with little bitty bites chewed to nothing or I get that horrible burning golf-ball feeling in my chest. I'm scared about getting a fill and making it even worse but I'm going through with it because I feel hungry too often, I can eat too much food at a sitting, and I've been putting on and taking off the same pound for over a week now! Although I did have my monthly friend this week. Hmmmmmm. Anyone want to chime in here? Should I get the fill or not?

There is a woman who was in my group for preop counselling who hasn't had a fill yet (her surgery was in Jan 06) she is still losing. Our surgeron will not do a fill if you are losing. I got one because I had stopped and I was starving. It took everything that I had not gain back my weight during the 2 weeks prior to my fill. I guess, I feel that I have come this far and that I can't let "possible reactions" stop me now. Only you know if you can go on without a fill. Everyone's experience is different, everyone's doctors seem to have a different point of view as well. Good Luck on making your decision

Banded Brenda

This is my first post and I must say, I am very grateful for all the info shared so openly on this site. I had my band placed on 3/27 and although at first I could feel some restriction, that has passed. I can now eat whatever I want and have been feeling frustrated with myself ffor going to the expense of getting banded bbbut still struggling so much with eating healthfully. I am scheduled for my first fill on 5/8 in Monterrey by the radiologist that works with Dr. Sanchez. I started at 233lbs and am currenly at 225 lbs. So, I have lost a little but more due to a 'diet' than restriction of a band. I will keep you up to date on further progress.