Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Band or Not to Band.........That is the question!

Hi all

New to the forums here as I've been researching due to my decisions earlier this month to seek consultation for weight loss surgery. A little background about me. I'm 36 yr old AA male that started to think about this very seriously after my wife and I finally were able to get pregnant after numerous bouts of bad luck. We experienced numerous miscarriages and in 2011 actually had an episode of still birth around 6.5 months. We were on the fringes again this past yr but am proud to say we're parents to not one but 2 of the most beautiful 6 month old boys you could lay your eyes on. This has really got me to thinking at this weight am I going to see my boys get married, go to college, or even go to high school. Thinking towards the future there aren't many 370+ pound 50 yr olds out there!

So after all that being said I had my consultation on January 18th. Dr Kellum is highly recognized in the field of obesity surgery but I gotta say I was left a little uneasy after it seemed him and his staff tried to sway me towards a sleeve gastrectomy. They in my opinion were telling me all the negatives to force me to choose another procedure. I chose the lap band because of the minimal evasiveness of the procedure. Did anyone else here battle with the decision to band vs another procedure? Thanks for your replies in advance.

I chose the lapband because it is adjustable and reversable (if needed). Of course theres a chance that things will go drasticly wrong, but remember, your band can be adjusted if that's the case. If something goes wrong with the sleeve then oh boy, you're in trouble because your stomach will NEVER be the same.

I hear that the weight loss with Gastric Bypass and the Sleeve comes off faster, but to me, I don't mind having slow loss and putting in a lot of effort on my part. I just want the safest surgery that will give me my desired results

I was also very torn about what surgery to do, but after reading some horror stories on verticalsleevetalk (a sister site to lbt) I was convinced NOT to do the sleeve. Yes, both surgeries have complications, but the lap band complications were ports flipping, leaks in bands, and once in a while an eroded band. On the VSG website the complications sounded SO scary. One person wrote that her mom got sicker and sicker from the surgery, needed to have multiple surgeries and stents put in, and eventually they had to detach her whole stomach from her esaphagous and she will need at least 3 months to recuperate.

Maybe I'm just a wus, or a baby, but these things just terrify me

Oh, and one more thing: My doctor explained to me that many bariatric surgeons will dissuade patients from Lap band: because with LB they must devote time with fills/adjustments/longer periods of aftercare and support. The big money maker is in the operating room and NOT the fill visits. When they do a sleeve surgery, they have a consult appointment, the surgery, a post op appointment and then never have to see you again, leaving them more time to be in the operating room

Also (not sure why) but insurance pays out 2.5 times for sleeve/bypass than they pay for Lap band surgeries.

I know this sounds absolutely absurd. I wouldn't believe it except I heard it from my doctor himself

I honestly do NOT believe that doctors are money hungry or evil, but when it comes to simple dollars and cents they may inadvertently steer you to what is convenient for them. They're human too!

which ever surgery you decide, it will take a complete mental change and a change in your eating habits. wls is not an easy fix and it does take work. there are pros and cons to each for various reasons. i suggest reading each and then when you feel you are ready, and commit 100%, go for it no matter what.

Oh, and congrats on your children!!!

Thanks for your reply lapbandster

All the things you mentioned we're definite concerns of mine. I'm not concerned about how fast I lose the weight. They told me things like there were groups of band patients that did everything right and still didn't lose weight. That was hard for me to believe? Realizing that this isn't a magic pill and it requires work, I'm willing to put in the work to achieve the results.

Thanks for your reply lapbandster

They told me things like there were groups of band patients that did everything right and still didn't lose weight. That was hard for me to believe? Realizing that this isn't a magic pill and it requires work, I'm willing to put in the work to achieve the results.

Somehow, I'm skeptical of anyone that followed ALL the rules and still didn't lose a pound!

I guess it's technically possible, but c'mon....

That takes talent! :rolleyes:

I would choose VSG, knowing what I know now. Lapband is becoming obsolete, many band docs are removing as many as they're implanting these days. I've been successful, but have had serious complications affecting my quality of life. The band requires a great deal of follow up; fills, unfills, etc. VSG is no maintenance. Message me for links to helpful links. Congrats on those babies :)

First congrats on ur baby boys!!! Second, I am 26 and was just banded on January 28th. I have heard that Lapband is slowly being fazed out to the sleeve. Ill be honest with u when the first this I tell I is although I did this surgery for me, my family and friends were super concerned w me having the sleeve. I know more people with Lapband, its not as invasive, need be it is reversible, etc.

Even without the opinions of those who love me ( and I do know people who are super successful with sleeve), the Lapband was more for me. I spoke w my surgeon who said I could do either but to me the band is adjustable, not as invasive, and best of all for me a behavioral tool. I didn't want to simply lose the weight, I wanted to know that I lost weight eating correct portions and feeling well truth be told if not I would continue eating crap.

As I said before I am new to banding, I want to lose 100 pounds. I chose the band because I wanted a tool ( a slap on the wrist) when I over ate or an unpleasant feeling if I ate something that didnt agree with me). To me the band will work w me and ill know its there. Good luck and congrats again any choice you make is right because it will only add years to your wonderful life:)

I've had my band for over three years with no BAND problems. I'm not a super fast loser, but I didn't give it 100% at all times. Its my life, and I'm learning and losing all at the same time.

I'm not sure if VSG was an option for me or not really, because I had only considered the band. I do know of folks who have a "band with plication" now. One of them replied to you already. I hear tell its similar to a band and a sleeve combined. You'd have to ask someone else if they are happy with it.

So for me, I'd do the band again tomorrow. No doubt about it!

Congratulations on your baby boys! :D

Lapbandster and Carolinagirl offer great advice.

I was originally scheduled for Gastric Bypass and at the last minute canceled. I just couldn't justify re-routing my intestines or hacking off 3/4 of healthy stomach without trying something far less drastic first. I also didn't want to deal with malabsorbtion issues or dumping. So, I chose the band instead.

Lapbandster was totally correct about surgeon pushing the Sleeve or Gastric Bypass because those are the money makers, by the way.

Don't let people scare you with horror stories and false claims about band failure. The fact is, only 8-12% Lap Band patients suffer complications by no fault of their own. The exception to this would be people with older model 4cc band- it has had a lot of issues and hence why surgeons stopped using it in the United States. As far as the new, currently used larger bands, the actual band failure rate is very low. The majority of people fail their bands, not the other way around. They expect the band to do all the work and don't change their eating habits. They continue to over-eat and eat around the band, or drink carbonation, or walk around with their bands way too tight for months and even years. All these things can and will lead to slips.

As for myself, when I got Lap Band surgery a little over a year ago I weighed over 400 pounds. Like many, I was told I was "too fat" for the band and how I wouldn't lose enough with the band. I was also told told how much faster I'd lose if I'd chose the Sleeve or Bypass.

They were all totally wrong. I've lost 185 pounds since last January 2012. I am healthier and happier than I've ever been in my adult life. Getting the band was by far the best decision I've ever made for myself. I am living proof you can be successful with the band if you use it how it was meant to be used and follow the rules, regardless of how big you are when you start the journey.

At the end of the day, you have to do what is best for you, whatever WLS surgery that may be. But please don't let people scare you with bad info into choosing one over another.

Best wishes on whichever you decide.

Thanks for all the great responses! Lapbandster I'm just seeing your earlier post looks like you amended it. Indeed that was my first thought too that they were strictly after more money. I spoke with one of my coworkers who have had a lot of medical issues and he too believes its related to money! Catfish I'm definitely leaning towards the band. I got all geared up for the band and even got my wife on board too. She was on the fence with me about the other procedures and just felt the cutting away of the stomach was a bit much.

Like I mentioned, there are doctors who are doing "lapband with plication" now. Might be worth asking your doc about and researching. Carolinagirl had it done. she might be willing to share her experience with you. She's done VERY well with it.

Congrats on those kiddo's!!

Congratulations on your children! I discussed the decision with my dietitian and she agreed that the band was the best choice for me. I've had no regrets. The band can be taken out in a short time if required or needed. With all procedures, you must make wise choices in your eating habits. Some food groups will be better than others for all of us. You must choose what you want in a procedure with of course inputs from your doctor. Yes, all doctors are now including the latest propcedures but please check with your insurance to see if the cover all procedures. When I had my band installed Aug 6, 2012 my insurance group did not cover the sleeve.

Best wishes and follow up on this forum and tell us what you've decided.

Just wanted to add that most people consider this to be about vanity when it clearly isn't. I see subtle changes in my health coming on. Back in June 2012 I was placed on blood pressure meds. In 2010 I had reconstructive knee surgery after tearing up my left knee playing sports....30 and over baseball and semi pro football. I've always been large guy but in pretty decent health. After the knee issue I started to view things in a different light and put my career first. Now with a family I've really slowed down so taking the weight off is even more difficult now. Thus the reason for considering the procedure.

I would choose VSG, knowing what I know now. Lapband is becoming obsolete, many band docs are removing as many as they're implanting these days. I've been successful, but have had serious complications affecting my quality of life. The band requires a great deal of follow up; fills, unfills, etc. VSG is no maintenance. Message me for links to helpful links. Congrats on those babies :)

You've been asked before to cough up the stats, facts and studies to back up your wild accusations? Let's see the facts? No BS, no spin, just the facts m'am?