Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

having second thoughts

Im am concerned and now thinking of not having the surgery. It sounds like I still have to count calories, Protein, and eliminate certain foods. If I have to do this am I not just going on a diet? What does the band do for me? Couldnt I accomplish the same results without the band? Need help.

You shouldn't have the surgery unless you're 100% and have all the information :) It sounds cheesy, but it really is a commitment to a weight loss journey and it will work for you if you work for it. Which means, eating the right foods (which you will learn about). You will definitely count calories and Protein and some foods won't work. If you can accomplish the same results without it, perhaps you don't need it? Just something to think about :)

Well, only you know if you can do it without the band. It's true you will still be responsible for making healthy food choices and following the rules to be successful with the band. The band is just a tool, not a magic cure for fat.

I can only speak for myself, but I tried to lose weight for decades without the band and always failed miserably. The reason is because I was always hungry and always felt deprived. food pre-occupied my every thought because the more I went without it, the more I thought about it. Now, that's not the case. The band does exactly what it's meant to do, it keeps me satisfied on far less food for long periods of time. I do count calories and measure portions because I want to be sure I do this right and lose this weight. But, I don't feel deprived either. I eat what I want just in moderation. Before the band, I'd eat a whole bag of Reese's miniatures. Now, I'm happy and satisfied with just 2 or 3. Or when I went out to Olive Garden for dinner before the band, I'd eat Soup, a half dozen breadsticks, a huge dinner portion of Pasta, and a big piece of cake for dessert. Now, I have a little salad and eat maybe 1/3 of a lunch portion of Pasta and I'm completely satisfied.

I think you're wise to question the band before the surgery. It's always better to go into it confident and certain. Just keep in mind, it doesn't matter which WLS you choose, the lifestyle changes and the work will always be yours to do. The surgery is just a tool.

Best wishes on whatever you decide is best for you.

I've been banded for about 3 1/2 years. What I can tell you from my experience is that at first, say the first 6 months, it really takes a lot of willpower and you REALLY following the "rules" provided by your doctor, for more than just weight loss. The recovery period. He/she will be the one that should give you instructions on WHAT and HOW MUCH you should be eating. My physician didn't really tell me any specific calorie limit per day, just portion size and suggestions on the types of foods I should be eating during the different post op phases.

Now that I'm close to what you'll hear referred to as being in the "green zone", my band really does allow me to feel satisfied on MUCH smaller portions than I ate preband. It wasn't an easy thing to get used to for me. It's a learning process for me to this day, and probably will continue to be. I've been frustrated at times, as most people I read about have been.

As for what I CAN eat, if I wanted to and tried, I could eat most any type of food now. I don't choose to eat sandwiches, as soft bread and my band don't like each other.

Yes, getting in a lot of Protein really helps me. Lots of Water too.

So in closing, until you get to proper restriction, it is like a diet. But, unlike any I've ever tried, I'm over THREE YEARS out and sticking with it. Thats how the band works for me.

I appreciate everyone's comments so far. I think im going to stick with it. I guess im frustrated with the hunger im feeling on this pre operation diet. Doesnt help my family is stuffing themselves on pizza while I eat broth and half a chicken. If the band helps me feel satisfied that will be a great thing. Im not worried about the food I can or cant eat its the feeling of always being hungry I want to go away.

the hunger will go away in due time. It depends on the person. Some feel it right after surgery, some take a few months. My band started to work for me on my 3rd feel 2 months out. At first it is just like a diet, it's difficult, you're hungry.. but after my 3rd fill omg the difference I felt. I am not to restrictive where I get pb espisodes or stuck which I like. I can eat anything without a problem, but I love is that I can eat a small portion and literally feel satisfied for 4hrs or so. I notice now, when i eat something I often don't even get to finish what i have served myself. Eating slow and smallbites help very much to feel the satisfied feeling. Good luck to you hun!!! best thing I could have ever done for myself! :)