Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone try Atkins?

I know, I know. I'm always saying that te reason why I got the band was so that I would never have to diet again. Well, I am. Starting Atkins on the 1st. And I've been against this diet for years. But after much researching and coaxing by my low-carb husband, I've decided to give it a go - for the 2 week induction at least. We'll re-evaluate then. Here's the thing: I've had my band for 3 yrs and successfully lost 104 lbs with it. Then my band slipped. After unfills/fills/adjustments later, my dr has come to the conclusion that since I'm no longer having symptoms (severe reflux) he's gunna leave it alone. Problem is, I eat like a truckdriver at nite (no offense to any truckdrivers out there). I've paked on 20 lbs in the past year. I can't afford to get a new dr (here in Southern OR, I drive 6 hrs round trip and pay $160 for every visit to MY dr. To get one in town would cost $1,000 to take m on as a new pt and then $300 each visit) and my dr (unless I downright argue with him) thinks he's doing the right thing by leaving it alone. I guess it's not gunna hurt me, I just wish I had a band that worked like it used to.

My husband is always getting on me about my carb eating. That he's surprised that I "only" weight 164 - and not 200. It's just that I can only take maybe 6 bites of meat (whether it's dry or moist) at a time before I'm stuffed. I can pile potatoes in all day long. I know that's the whole reason why I got the lapband, so that healthy foods will fill me up, I just don't eat just healthy foods. I lost 104 lbs eating whatever I wanted to, just in really small portions (my friends are amazed on how little I eat). I still eat Carls Jr, Taco Bell, Quiznos, and Red Robin. 1 burger is about 4 meals for me.

Anyway, he talked me into trying Atkins for at least 2 weeks. I'm so scared I'm gunna starve! Or be eating every 2 hrs (since I can only eat a few bites of meat at a time, and that and veggies r the only thing I'm allowed. Can't even believe fruit isn't allowed!). The whole concept of "eating as much meat and veggies as you want" is lost on a lapband patient.

Just checking to see if anyone has tried Atkins after their band and if it's worked for them. Hopefully, I'll lose some weight and lose my craving for junk food. I'd like to live on a lower carb diet (just not as strict as Atkins) and continue to lose weight. I have the 20 I gained + an additional 9 lbs to my goal of 135. I do work out 4-5 days a week (I walk/run for 45 minutes and do weight training about 20-25 minutes).

Sorry I wrote another novel. It's actually how I talk also...lol! At least thats what my husband tells me!

Marci

I personally did Atkins many years ago and lost about 40 pounds. The problem I ran into was a raging kidney infection from a build up of Protein.

Here's my take on Atkins or any so-called diet: You do what works for YOU. Everyone's metabolism is different and just because something works for one person doesn't mean it will work for everyone. Likewise, just because I didn't do well on Atkins doesn't mean you won't do beautifully on it.

The only way we learn how our body and metabolism work most efficiently is by experimenting with it. Don't be afraid to try something new! I say give Atkins a try for a couple weeks, if you hate it, you can always go back to the way you were eating before.

Marci(one of my early role models), I was very successful with Atkins, South Beach and the Paleo diets. Basically, your body needs carbs for energy and if you deprive your body of carbs, your body burns your fat supply for energy. it works, but for us carboholics, is so hard to adhere to. You seldom go hungry since you can eat as much meat and allowed veggies as you want. But, I never had the support(hubbie) as you have. It was difficult for me but I was successful and was able to keep my weight down around 150-160 for 25 years. Having kids around was torture(tater tots, Peanut Butter sandwiches). I still go back on atkins when I plateau. You can drop 10-12 lbs of excess fluids on Atkins. It's not a way of life though. Maybe give it a go and lose 10-20 lbs? tmf

I'm all for low carb. but do make sure you are getting enough Water, the first thing you will lose is water weight and that will affect your kidneys as well as the high protien. And be sure to eat your veggies, some people have misconceptions about what a LC lifestyle is, it's not all meat. I have nothing negative to say about it, to me its like any weightloss plan...there are pros and cons to all of it. Just be informed before starting one. Research, research, research.

I'm getting banded on Feb 5th and my doctor stressed the importantace of a very low carb diet for long term success. He explained how the carbs slip through the band so much easier and thus will hind or even stop weight loss. He didn't suggest Adkins per sey, but did make it clear that carbs were to be had in moderation. Obviously, I am far from an expert just passing the Dr.s advice along.

I would try the south Beach diet, I feel its more « balanced » than Atkins (good carbs vs bad carbs, good fats v. bad fats etc…)

Normally I have always done very well with Atkins but usually start missing a thing here and there and one cheat day turns into a month, after some reading I realized there all kinds of Atkins carb substitutes shakes, meals, drinks, treats and low carb alternatives (pasta, tortillas, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, Carb Quick etc. ) out there which made me extremely excited….jumped in there with my low carb recipes and great workout regime, took pics (for my before & after photos) and after 3 weeks I freakin GAINED!!!! The only difference I made this time was all the alternatives I used and the working out, freaked me out so bad I stopped and will start back to calorie counting ..I guess long story short it works but gets old and it feels like the weight comes back as soon as you stop or cheat. And all the carb substitutes and Snacks out there I think are meant for occasionally defiantly not daily