Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating at restaurants

What do you order at restaruants? I went once and ordered chicken breast with fruit. It took me the whole time just to chew 1/3 of the chicken and a couple of bites of fruits with nothing to drink.

I look up everything on my Lose It app and decide what I'm going to order based on it's calories and fat content.

I tend to order a lot of Soups and salads because I know both always go down well for me. I also order whatever low fat dressing they have with the salad.

If the chicken you ordered was dry, that could have been a big part of your problem. It's rare I get stuck, but if I'm going to, it'll usually be on a piece of dry meat. If you stick to meat served moist it seems to go down a lot easier.

I share with someone or I order off the appetizer menu. Many restaurants will have pretty good Protein options on their starter menu, like shrimp cocktail. I will order clam chowder or some other Soup if the options aren't looking good.

I usually order fish of any kind but I dont do well with any kind of meat.< /p>

I like to order a main course salad, however, I have them bring it out with everyone else's appetizers, Soups, or side salads. This way I have the entire time to eat my meal and it keeps me away from wanting the appetizers everyone else orders. I never feel I have to rush and no one even notices that I'm eating slower because we finish around the same time!

I did have to dip the chicken pieces into the cup that my husband had Salad Dressing in to moisten the dry meat. Thanks for your imput.

I usually order fish, baked potato and a salad or vegetable. Obviously I cannot eat everything so I just bring it home.

Sometimes for more casual dining I order the Soup or a chicken or shrimp quesadilla... I will eat usually the insides out of 2 slices and leave the tortilla and take home the rest.

I order whatever I want but try to keep it healthy. There are no foods that always get stuck with me.

I did have to dip the chicken pieces into the cup that my husband had Salad Dressing in to moisten the dry meat. Thanks for your imput.

Good idea if is fat free dressing? Don't forget those hidden calories... ;)

I do tend to look up menu's before going to a resturant. My hubs and I went to Ruby Tuesday's the other night- they have a menu that list items and their calorie counts. On this outing I got BBQ chicken breast and grilled zuchinni- it was yummy. The chicken was tender I ate only about 3/4 and half the zucchini, but it was very tasty.

Some places have great fish options- grilled not fried. If we go Italian I always remember that cream sauces are loaded with calories so I avoid those. It is all about looking over the menu and making the best choice out of what you have. You don't have to eat all of it, you can always get a doggy bag.

You should always have Water available for emergencies. I order lots of Soups, and salad with vinegar and oil dressing.

We don't go out very often...found it is much easier to cook since I can't really eat much...but when we do go out I typically split with my 4 year old. He doesn't eat much so ordering a burger or chicken and splitting it works great for both of us (no...I don't eat the bun and may have one french fry). We also really like Mexican food...so I will order or split and order of fajitas with my husband and son. It is enough for all of us and sometimes we even get to take some home to enjoy the next day. When I go out to lunch with my co-worker I will typically order some yummy Soup.< /p>

Funny thing.....we used to go out to dinner or get take out at least 3 or 4 times a week. Often more than that during summer when the kids are out of school. I started really getting serious and preparing for surgery right after Labor Day when my kids went back to school, even though I wasn't going to have my surgery until 11/29. Well, yesterday I received my year-end credit card statement. Holy cow! (Yeah, quite literally lol!) I could NOT even believe what we spent at restaurants prior to September (thousands!!!!!!) but after September there was just a handful, meaning less than 10 times in a 3 1/2 month period. So now I am a little thinner in my back pocket and a lot thicker in my wallet. Yay me!!

Chilis has en entree called Grilled Shrimp Tacos, it comes with 3 tacos, each filled with grilled shrimp and avocado slices. It also comes with 2 sides, rice and black Beans. My husband and I share this dish, I eat the inside of one of the tacos and 1/2 of the small bowl of beans. My husband polishes off the remainder 2 tacos, then stuffs the empty tortilla I leave with the rice and beans. It's more than plenty for the both of us!!! As a matter of fact I can't wait to go back this Friday!

Ruby Tuesdays was mentioned. That's one of my go to resturants. I always get the creol catch. Its about 350 calories. Grilled white fish with spices and zucchini and spaggetti squash for sides. Yum! I also like to go to a local chinese resturant that has a "diet" menu. I get the steamed shirmp and veggies with garlic sauce on the side. Very satisfying. Basically, sticking to a lean Protein and veggie is the way to go I think. Some might include a healthy carb, wich I will at lunch, but I don't eat carbs for dinner.< /p>