Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sometimes I Just Have to Say.....

I read most of the posts here from all the different people, I like to hear different people's experiences, good and bad....

One thing that is always re occurring, is people saying how they "Fell off the wagon" and "Need to get back on track"

Now I know I'm going to get flamed for this by the "Know it all's" But personally, I do not understand how that can happen...(Short of a medical problem)....

Either your band is adjusted to where you are in the Green Zone, or it's not!! To me, that is the only thing that is important...

Two characteristics of the Green Zone is HUNGER CONTROL, and PORTION CONTROL.....yet I read posts about how people say they were doing fine, then started to eat anything and everything in sight...out of control...Does Not sound like being in the Green to me....

Speaking for myself, When I eat, I eat until I cannot eat anymore...I don't measure or pre determine portion sizes...the band will let me know when to stop eating...it's that simple.

The other day I brought home Chinese take-out...sat down and began to eat to where I knew I had to stop...threw the rest away!!!

It was physically impossible to eat anymore...even if I wanted to....

IF I were to measure what I ate, I know I would have found it to be VERY LITTLE....some would say way too little....

The 2nd issue is Hunger....I'm sitting here, it's 4 am, and I am having my coffee....thinking about it as I type this, I AM NOT HUNGRY, and I have no desire to eat anything....the last time I ate was around 6 pm yesterday, 16 hours ago?

I will take 15gm Protein along with my Vitamins and omega's, and head to the gym when they open at 6am.

After my workout I will have a high protein recovery shake......then that will be it until this afternoon....(plenty of Water though)

My point is, being in the Green, these things now come natural to me....circumstances such as parties, stress and emotional issues, etc, etc, cannot change what has been surgically done......

I travel all over the country on business, vacations, cruise at least once a year...have had deaths in the family,....my daughter had a big wedding.....everything everyone else experiences, but none of it can change the band....that would take an adjustment....

So when I read these stories about "Getting back On Track" or "Falling off the Wagon", I get a little confused...but out of personal respect I keep my mouth shut...it's not my place to tell anyone they are right or wrong....

But what I can do is type here MY experiences with the band and how it all works for me.....

I know I'm in the green....have been for about 20 months now...and from my view point the only thing that matters is whether you are in the green or not...and if not, Why?

Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes...just my opinion, now let the "Know it All Police come out of the woodwork"....

I read most of the posts here from all the different people' date=' I like to hear different people's experiences, good and bad....

One thing that is always re occurring, is people saying how they "Fell off the wagon" and "Need to get back on track"

Now I know I'm going to get flamed for this by the "Know it all's" But personally, I do not understand how that can happen...(Short of a medical problem)....

Either your band is adjusted to where you are in the Green Zone, or it's not!! To me, that is the only thing that is important...

Two characteristics of the Green Zone is HUNGER CONTROL, and PORTION CONTROL.....yet I read posts about how people say they were doing fine, then started to eat anything and everything in sight...out of control...Does Not sound like being in the Green to me....

Speaking for myself, When I eat, I eat until I cannot eat anymore...I don't measure or pre determine portion sizes...the band will let me know when to stop eating...it's that simple.

The other day I brought home Chinese take-out...sat down and began to eat to where I knew I had to stop...threw the rest away!!!

It was physically impossible to eat anymore...even if I wanted to....

IF I were to measure what I ate, I know I would have found it to be VERY LITTLE....some would say way too little....

The 2nd issue is Hunger....I'm sitting here, it's 4 am, and I am having my coffee....thinking about it as I type this, I AM NOT HUNGRY, and I have no desire to eat anything....the last time I ate was around 6 pm yesterday, 16 hours ago?

I will take 15gm Protein along with my Vitamins and omega's, and head to the gym when they open at 6am.

After my workout I will have a high Protein recovery shake......then that will be it until this afternoon....(plenty of Water though)

My point is, being in the Green, these things now come natural to me....circumstances such as parties, stress and emotional issues, etc, etc, cannot change what has been surgically done......

I travel all over the country on business, vacations, cruise at least once a year...have had deaths in the family,....my daughter had a big wedding.....everything everyone else experiences, but none of it can change the band....that would take an adjustment....

So when I read these stories about "Getting back On Track" or "Falling off the Wagon", I get a little confused...but out of personal respect I keep my mouth shut...it's not my place to tell anyone they are right or wrong....

But what I can do is type here MY experiences with the band and how it all works for me.....

I know I'm in the green....have been for about 20 months now...and from my view point the only thing that matters is whether you are in the green or not...and if not, Why?

Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes...just my opinion, now let the "Know it All Police come out of the woodwork"....[/quote']

Good morning B52 : )

No flame here ... Two comments ... First, The band even if properly adjusted can be "eaten around" and I mostly assume the "fallers" are referring to some version of this. Second, I would point out you are doing the KEY tool right now - getting up early and starting your day with exercise! You are getting 15g of protein within 1 hour of rising also very important - so I guess that's three comments. My singular point is yes the band(properly adjusted) is THE Tool, HOWEVER, You clearly are Doing much more - proactively "working" it So Kudos !

Lee

275lbs Lost ALL Diseases reversed (own the way to workout too ; )

Well I'm a faller off the wagon person. I was doing so good at year 2. The weight was finally starting to come off, then I got so tight that I couldn't ear or drink. I was in the hospital. The oncall surgeon, not a gastric surgeon, btw, took out all of my Fluid. My doctor's began to wonder was something wrong with the band. I started getting more fluid again, but was always throwing up. I wasn't in any kind of support at the time and I thought my experience was abnormal. Year 3 was all about getting the fluid out. Well until I got to month 10 of that year. I decided then I would try to work this band.

Now I have no job and no insurance. I am one of those people that is so close to the green zone, yet so far away. I do work out. I just started working with a trainer, but when the stress comes I want to eat. I don't know what to do. I keep a lot of the junk out of the house so I'm not tempted, but I'm not loosing. But honestly, I only worked out 3 days this week. I need some motivation.

Well I'm a faller off the wagon person. I was doing so good at year 2. The weight was finally starting to come off' date=' then I got so tight that I couldn't ear or drink. I was in the hospital. The oncall surgeon, not a gastric surgeon, btw, took out all of my Fluid. My doctor's began to wonder was something wrong with the band. I started getting more Fluid again, but was always throwing up. I wasn't in any kind of support at the time and I thought my experience was abnormal. Year 3 was all about getting the fluid out. Well until I got to month 10 of that year. I decided then I would try to work this band.

Now I have no job and no insurance. I am one of those people that is so close to the green zone, yet so far away. I do work out. I just started working with a trainer, but when the stress comes I want to eat. I don't know what to do. I keep a lot of the junk out of the house so I'm not tempted, but I'm not loosing. But honestly, I only worked out 3 days this week. I need some motivation.[/quote']

Keep all junk food out - broaden your def of junk food - WORKING out will Help Exercise is the Key - Exercise 6 days a week 6am doing at least 30min of cardio 30 strength - do this for 30 days and I guarantee IF you do this you will see a complete turn around. Assuming by close to the green zone you mean your band has now been appropriately filled again

Lee

I'm not in the green, but I was and rather than accept not really being able to eat I didn't. I couldn't tolerate a lot of food. I couldn't drink a gulp of Water. I really should have just stayed on the liquids. I know when my insurance kick in from my upcoming new job, when I finally hired somewhere it is what it is and I will get filled. Because of my hospital scare I need to have insurance. I honestly think my problem was, that I was feeling a nice tight band, but it kind if felt like I wad becoming too tight. I really need to baby step the band. I can't afford to do that out of pocket, so I have to come up with a game plan.

I have a trainer. Well I just started. I will increase my work outs. My goal was 30 minutes. I was doing well, but stress happen. So I'm getting back in the game. Just scared and off track.

I have a trainer. Well I just started. I will increase my work outs. My goal was 30 minutes. I was doing well' date=' but stress happen. So I'm getting back in the game. Just scared and off track.[/quote']

I am cheering for you : ) workout 1 hour 6 days a week at 6 am 30 cardio 30 strength for 30 days and you will be amazed. This is war ... A war for your life You can do the one hour at 6am 30 days.

Lee

275 lbs Lost

You are so right. I don't know why I alloe myself to get so discouraged. I know I am capable, but when I hit a road block I just decide to eat my way through. I will get my work out in today. Noe I can't promise that it will be 6a on a Sunday, but I'm going to do this thing. I have a lot of favorite shows to watch today. I've been up a few hours and I need to get some more zzzzs.

Thanks guys, that's all I have to say!!

I would never flame you B-52, I respect your advice A LOT and I envy your journey with the band.

However, for me, the green zone has been very elusive! I've been there twice for very short periods of time and been very happy, and then suddenly my band decides it's too tight and then I start to have propblems. I actually had a slip and had it surgically repaired and added plication. I am now back in the process of having the band refilled. I've got 4 cc's and feel absolutely no restriction yet. Now I've moved out of state and had to change doctors... really hoping my new doctor will give me another fill without having to put me through a bunch of tests first when I see him in a couple of weeks.

For me this has been a very frustrating journey, but I'm not giving up yet!!!

Just like in Life, everyone's journey is different.

Everyone's journey is different. Its important for me to have support and encouragement. The problem for me is that some people have had this surgery with no problems or struggles. I wish that was me. I didn't expect the struggles after. I knew it wasn't a magic pill, but I didn't expect to have the struggles that I have. I will change my thinking, I'm learning that my life has changed as a result of this band, but I think in the back of a my mind I wanted things to be the same with the added bonus of weight loss. I always worked out, so I never expected to stop but I didn't really want to change my eating. Crazy thinking. Things will get better I know it.

liked what you wrote and agree with all of it.

granted some (bad things happen to the band)

but most of the time, its the person not following the banded life. i dont have any fills yet so i am (letting my band and plication) work to help me but i am also helping my tools by eating good foods in my amounts.

so far its working.....i always wish the best for everyone

Well, I've lost almost 95 lbs, it's been over 2 years since surgery. I have about 45 lbs to go. Haven't really gained anything , but definitely stalled. Haven't been hunger free yet, but I do bust my ass with exercise , 5-6 days a week. Including running anywhere from 12- >20 miles a week, hiking up to 12 miles in the summer (with a pack, up a mountain), snowshoeing now in the winter, with a pack.

So while no Lapband sweet spot and with a stall in weight loss, I am anything but failing. But I do need to kick start. And really start using this band as a tool. But for me it's working,.simply because I haven't started gaining weight back. And I feel great.

And my lifestyle has completely changed and is healthier than ever.

I'm working on closer tracking of diet, too. But from what I've read, the lack of hunger for some banders is more about the perfect placement surgically of the band rather than the perfect fill. So the reality it is only as an effective tool as it's owner makes it.

B-52, you and I adopted an active , athletic lifestyle as soon as we physically could. That's probably been a huge factor in our successes and really helped us stay on track. And I think you serve as a great motivation for many here!

My personal belief is that the exercise and change in lifestyle is absolutely essential to success and far too many people rely simply on food restriction for weight loss. I know it works for some, but i can't envision myself living on only 1000 cal a day!