Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In need of a mentor/buddy

Hello, my name is Kara. I'm looking for a mentor or someone going through the surgery either before me or around the same time as me. I'm self pay and going to two consultations on Wednesday. I'm hoping to have surgery my mid-February or sooner. I'm from St. Louis, MO and while it would be nice to have a buddy from around here, I'm not picky. :)

Hey Kara :) I don't know so much about "mentor" haha but i'll be a buddy :) I just got insurance approval yesterday and have my BEGIN class Jan 29 then I can schedule my date...looks like it will be mid Feb as well, originally was hoping for January but it just didn't work out like that. Oh, and I'm from Mobile, AL where snow hits the forcast for one day and people panic and post like crazy on Facebook ;)

Awesome! I'm excited to have a buddy through this process. That how it is in St. Louis too, we can take a nap and wake up and it'll be a different season. The weather is too dramatic here! Lol

Me too :) I have a good friend who had this done 3 years ago so I have a good source of help when I have crazy questions, and I've done a TON of research so if you think of anything shoot me a message and we will figure it out. More than anything maybe we can help encourage each other through this! I just know I'm super ready to get this done and get past the 6 weeks post op "downtime", and back to the gym (and Zumba!)

I know a couple people as well who have had this done. My mom's cousin had it done last year and is sort of a mentor to me which is kind of nice. It's good to know that you're motivated just like me. I'm ready to get past the pre-op, op, and post-op stuff and get back to the gym and getting a new lease on life.

I feel like I've done a lot of research and thinking but I know there is a lot more to learn. I think the greatest knowledge can come from people who have already had the procedure and people who are going through it with me.

Hi Kara, Hi Crysta,

I got banded 12/17, one month today. Still very new so if you have questions the answers will be fresh in my mind. Congrats to both of you. You will like this site, it is so helpful, and for the most part the people are nice. Good luck to both of you. If I can ever help or just want to chat, I'm banjo257.

: )

Kara - I'm definitely like you...can't wait to get this part behind me and get going! I have another half marathon on my radar for this year and I just registered for a 5k in April, hopefully thats enough time to recover and feel like getting some miles in. I gave this weight loss thing a good honest effort the "natural" way and I lost 70 lbs...It took me almost a year and I spent 4 hours working out/training for 1/2 marathon/zumba a day after working all day...it was very fulfilling and I still can't believe that I, me, Crystal finished a dang half marathon!!! But as soon as that was over and I went back to 'normal' life working, exercising like an hour 3x a week...I gained alot of that weight back and have been 'beating myself' up about it ever since...I'm ready to have this tool that can help with the hunger and help me keep my nutrition on track..i'm not afraid of hard work, I actually get a rush out of doing really hard things lol

Hi Kara, Hi Crysta,

I got banded 12/17, one month today. Still very new so if you have questions the answers will be fresh in my mind. Congrats to both of you. You will like this site, it is so helpful, and for the most part the people are nice. Good luck to both of you. If I can ever help or just want to chat, I'm banjo257.

: )

Thank you so much!!! you've had great success already -26!!! Congrats!!! I've been kind of 'forum stalking' for about a year now as I wrapped my mind around the idea of the band...and I've really dug in and read a ton as I was completely my insurance required 6 months. The pre-op diet is whats been on my mind alot this week...i won't know what the guidelines for my dr are until the 29th when I go for his BEGIN class. But once I get those guidelines I'll probably be seeking some ideas on what you did, etc!

You bet crystal, anything I can do. Pre op, and post op.

I stalked below the radar also. Information is power! And I was mostly looking for what not to do, rather than what to do.

And what I will leave to with today, most important info, remember although everyone had good intentions, watch out for the doctor wanna bes that give out medical advise too freely. You have a real worry or problem, take it to your doc. Do that and you will do great!!!!!

Hi Kara,

I'm from Collinsville, just across the river. I got my band in Sep 09, so its been a while. I started at 322, got down to about 235 in six months. I had an issue with my band early on, ( band had come undone ) ate way too much due to no restriction, gained back to about 270, got it corrected and am almost to good restriction now I think. Im currently around 245. Its definately a learning proces and takes dedication to following the "rules". I would be happy to answer any questions about my experience with it. And knowing what I know now, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

David

David,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I'm mostly nervous for surgery and wondering how I'm going to get through it with my anxiety. It's all I think about. Today I actually watched a lapband surgery on YouTube which is prob the last thing I should've done, but now I know what it consists of. I also know that after the surgery is when the hard part starts. I'm going to have to learn how to eat slowly and smaller portions. I guess I'm just scared of the unknown really with the surgery and life with the band and just worrying if i will any complications from surgery and if my body will accept or reject the band. I know it will be worth it in the end though and having my "buddies" on this forum is really helping me tremendously.

Kara!! I giggled when I read that you watched a surgery on you tube!!!! I've watched one too!! The whole thing! 48 minutes worth haha I thought I was the only "crazy" one to do that. It actually made me feel more calm about it. I'm such a control freak it just made me feel better to see what was actually going to be happening! Plus I've always been intrigued by all things medical, so I found it to be really cool! I too, have been concerned about the anxiety that I'm sure will be extreme by THE day but my Primary care doc says that he will see that i get what I need lol I'm not even specifically worried about the actual surgery it's just all uncharted territory for me, never been in the hospital, never even had an IV. Not scared of needles or anything like that; its just the unknown that gets me I guess! We are going to be fine though girl!!! Look at all these people who have "gone before us" haha and be encouraged!! I have prayed and prayed and prayed some more and I am confident this is the right thing for me. Now I'm just trying to live with that reassurance and peace as these last few weeks pass.

"Do not be anxious for anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God and the peace that passes ALL understanding shall guard your heart and your mind" Philippians 4:6-7

Kara/Crystal,

I don't think is unusual to be anxious/nervous/scared prior to surgery. I know I was nervous prior to mine! After I got my surgery scheduled, I continued to weigh the pros and cons of having it. I also watched several videos of the procedure. My surgeon (Wagner, I would definately recommend!) was very, very good at answering any questions, and reassuring me that I would do fine. When I got to the hospital (St. Alexius, which I had a good experience at.) the day of the surgery, the anesthesiologist came in and gave me a nice cocktail in my IV and I no more worries! HA!

As far as learning to eat slowly and take small bites, I still struggle with that. If I'm eating by myself, no problem. If I with others, I eat too fast most of the time.

I have been on and off this site for over three years and can remember only a couple people talking about their body "rejecting" the band. I'm sure it could happen, but think its extremly rare.

I'm happy to discuss anything about my journey if interested.

David

Crystal,

Im so glad to know I'm not the only person crazy enough to watch it! I'm scared of not being in control either. That's my biggest fear...ill be under anesthesia and won't be in control while I'm under. I need to get over it bc like I said I'll have no control so why worry? Plus it'll be over quick and the next thing I know I'll be waking up. That's what happened when I had my wisdom teeth surgically removed anyway. They put the meds in my IV and I said "I don't think this is working" and the next thing I know Im waking up and it's over lol. We will get through this though. We are strong! :)

I would love to find a mentor too:)

Had my surgery last March down 57# wish more :( I have tough time food choices & meal planning trying new foods.Mother of 8 would prefer quick easy meal for brkfst & lunch I don't know....started curves to get moving more. I have daily back and hip pain on meds that cause weight gain. Having trouble getting Protein in don't like fish some meats tough going down.Could use some help please :))))