Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port...left or right?

Left side, under my ribs :)

My surgery is scheduled for Feb 11, I will be one of this people whose port will be under the armpit-ish.....I go in for all all my pre op stuff next tues and plan on asking Dr why he chooses that area, but I have faith in my Dr.....does anyone else have there port in this area.....pros and cons?

Just got my bad yesterday! Port is about three inches to the left of and one inch above my belly button.

Just got my bad yesterday! Port is about three inches to the left of and one inch above my belly button.

Congrats Julie!!!! Hope recovery is going well for you!!!!!

How are you doing so far??

How are you doing so far??

So far, so good. :) The most discomfort actually hasn't been from my incisions, but from the CO2 they pump you full of during surgery - the bit that was left in my body has settled in my shoulders and chest and is pretty gnarly. I'm taking Gas-x (the dissolvable strips), using a heating pad and walking around to work it out. But moving also makes the bubbles move and causes more pain, so plowing through it is difficult. :)

I'm also trying to figure out what's soreness from an incision or the band itself, and what "full" feels like. I'm alternating sips of Water and Isopure and playing it by ear.

Wow, I didn't know there was a choice. I never thought to ask, I assumed it would be just where the literature showed (below and to the right of the belly button) but the I got mine and it is left side below my ribs. I mentioned it to my doc and in his unfriendly sort of way muttered that that is where it goes and eventually you won't even notice it (once it settles down). Could I have chosen where I wanted it?

I haven't spoken to the surgeon about it, but I did talk to his nurse and she said that is where he puts them, but if I didn't feel comfortable with it there they would put in my stomach where everyone else seem to be...I am trying to get a little feedback, because I have seen a few people that have posted in the past about it and would really like to talk to them, it honestly seems like a better place to put it when I think about it...I just need some more info, like I said I really trust my surgeon so more than likely am going to go what he feels is best.

Wow, I didn't know there was a choice. I never thought to ask, I assumed it would be just where the literature showed (below and to the right of the belly button) but the I got mine and it is left side below my ribs. I mentioned it to my doc and in his unfriendly sort of way muttered that that is where it goes and eventually you won't even notice it (once it settles down). Could I have chosen where I wanted it?

I had to laugh when you said his 'unfriendly' sort of way!!!!! Doesn't have a good bedside manner I take it? :)

I don't know if I have a choice in choosing where it goes, I was just curious what others had done. I love to sleep on my left side and just don't want it to be uncomfortable.

So far, so good. :) The most discomfort actually hasn't been from my incisions, but from the CO2 they pump you full of during surgery - the bit that was left in my body has settled in my shoulders and chest and is pretty gnarly. I'm taking Gas-x (the dissolvable strips), using a heating pad and walking around to work it out. But moving also makes the bubbles move and causes more pain, so plowing through it is difficult. :)

I'm also trying to figure out what's soreness from an incision or the band itself, and what "full" feels like. I'm alternating sips of Water and Isopure and playing it by ear.

Ugh, I heard the gas pains were bad.. I had terrible gas pains when I had my endoscopy, so I could only imagine what you're going through. Do the Gas-X strips taste bad? Do you find you're hungry still? I'd love for you to explain what you are feeling in terms of food, cravings, hunger, etc.

Ugh, I heard the gas pains were bad.. I had terrible gas pains when I had my endoscopy, so I could only imagine what you're going through. Do the Gas-X strips taste bad? Do you find you're hungry still? I'd love for you to explain what you are feeling in terms of food, cravings, hunger, etc.

The Gas-x strips are fine - like a strong mint, and they dissolve pretty quickly.

I'm not really hungry, no - at least, not as hungry as I was the day *before* surgery. When I drink I definitely get a "full" feeling, and my tummy occasionally rumbles so I drink a little more. I'm trying to get in 60 oz of Water and at least 40 oz of Protein, which is tough right now because I feel full pretty quickly. But the discharge nurse said just to keep sipping every so often, unless I'm nauseous. So far, no spitting up or anything like that - everything has gone down. So I might "push" it a little to gauge the size of my stoma.

I've only had a couple times when I've craved food - and it's been when my husband, who's working from home this week to hang out with me, heated up some leftovers for Breakfast and lunch. Smelled so good... *sigh* :) But the fear of making myself sick and damaging my stomach or the band overwhelmed any thought of trying to eat something "real." And after a few minutes, I didn't really want the food anymore anyway. If I get the urge for food "sensations", I've got some Jell-O cups and popsicles to try.

I'm expecting to feel "hungrier" toward the end of the week, when the swelling goes down and I've got more room in the pouch. Luckily I only have to do liquids for 5-7 days, then I go to a pre-selected list of soft foods. Those will be the best tasting fat-free refried Beans I've ever had.

The Gas-x strips are fine - like a strong mint, and they dissolve pretty quickly.

I'm not really hungry, no - at least, not as hungry as I was the day *before* surgery. When I drink I definitely get a "full" feeling, and my tummy occasionally rumbles so I drink a little more. I'm trying to get in 60 oz of Water and at least 40 oz of Protein, which is tough right now because I feel full pretty quickly. But the discharge nurse said just to keep sipping every so often, unless I'm nauseous. So far, no spitting up or anything like that - everything has gone down. So I might "push" it a little to gauge the size of my stoma.

I've only had a couple times when I've craved food - and it's been when my husband, who's working from home this week to hang out with me, heated up some leftovers for Breakfast and lunch. Smelled so good... *sigh* :) But the fear of making myself sick and damaging my stomach or the band overwhelmed any thought of trying to eat something "real." And after a few minutes, I didn't really want the food anymore anyway. If I get the urge for food "sensations", I've got some Jell-O cups and popsicles to try.

I'm expecting to feel "hungrier" toward the end of the week, when the swelling goes down and I've got more room in the pouch. Luckily I only have to do liquids for 5-7 days, then I go to a pre-selected list of soft foods. Those will be the best tasting fat-free refried Beans I've ever had.

Wow! I'm so excited to feel what you're feeling! The fact that you aren't really hungry is really comforting to me. I'm having a hard time following any sort of diet these days.. it's terrible. I'm happy to hear that you are finding your way with the band so far. Good thing you haven't had any spitting up issues.. that's also a fear of mine. What Protein shakes are you using?

On the left above my breast

Wow! I'm so excited to feel what you're feeling! The fact that you aren't really hungry is really comforting to me. I'm having a hard time following any sort of diet these days.. it's terrible. I'm happy to hear that you are finding your way with the band so far. Good thing you haven't had any spitting up issues.. that's also a fear of mine. What Protein shakes are you using?

The hospital sent me home with a bottle of Isopure, and I've been nursing that today. Tomorrow, I'll mix up some of the shake mix I bought (Designer whey strawberry). I've also got Isopure's unflavored Protein isolate to sprinkle on foods when I can start to eat them.

The hospital sent me home with a bottle of Isopure, and I've been nursing that today. Tomorrow, I'll mix up some of the shake mix I bought (Designer whey strawberry). I've also got Isopure's unflavored Protein isolate to sprinkle on foods when I can start to eat them.

Awesome! I've never heard of Isopure, I'm going to look it up now! Sorry for all of the questions, I just love hearing everyone's tips for success! Keep us posted! I'd love to hear all about your journey! I wish you nothing but success!