Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone feel hungry after you eat?

I had my surgery on Feb. 14th and my first fill two weeks ago. Before my first fill I would eat and an hour later be hungry. Well I'm still eating and getting really hungry about an hour or two later. Is this normal? Does anyone else have this problem. I think I'm just not eating enough when I eat. Like I need more calories or Fiber or fat, what? Can someone help me figure this out?

I haven't been banded yet, but per the diet my dietitian gave me I'm supposed to be eating every 2 hours after surgery for good! In each phase I'm supposed to eat a small amount every 2 hours or so.

I was banded the same day as you! I was filled for the first time about 3 weeks ago. I did not feel any restriction until about 10 days after my fill. It was so weird. It was delayed. That was when I had my first, and only, PB. Since then, I go day by day because some days (like today) I feel like a garbage disposal able to eat anything. Then some days I don't even really want to eat. I am going back next Monday for a f/u appt. and am considering getting a bit more of a fill. I will talk to my doc about it.

Maybe you are not eating quite enough for now. Just try to pack yourself with Protein because it provides a full feeling longer than carbs do.

Good luck!!

What are you eating? When? How much?

Those will help us answer your questions better :Banane04:.

But general guidelines are to fill up on protien, because it will help keep hunger away longer. Carbs seem to attack almost all of us in a bad way (eat carbs, crave carbs, be hungry all day).

I had that problem when first banded and eventually it went away. It was like I was full in the small stomach but the big stomach was VERY hungry. I think your body will adjust over time......

Thank you! I had a feeling that is what it is. But I could not figure it out. I have to keep something that can stay in my purse at all times. It is worse when I'm driving home. I eat a good B/L&Dinner. But have to snack on something inbetween lunch and dinner and sometimes a couple of hours after dinner.

I have that problem as well, I just try to choose a sensible snack in between meals.

K@t - I also have heard that. To eat at least every two to four hours to lose weight. I think I might try that or up my Protein.

Prinnie - Yes, my first fill was 3/27 and I didn't start feeling any restrictions till this past sunday 4/9.

Marimary - I have cottage cheese or yogurt in the morning with fruit sometimes a half of a bagel with it. lunch I either have a salad w/ or w/out meat depends on what I think I might be able to hadle that day. Some times I bring leftovers (homemade weight watchers meals) or I have a Smart Ones meal. For dinner I try and eat and sometimes just can't keep it down. So sometimes I eat and sometimes I don't. But if I do I make a weight watchers homemade meal or just have something simple like green Beans. I love green Beans.< /p>

Yeah, I had to do a LOT of between meal Snacks to make it through at first....then over time that issue just went away. Like I said, your body will adjust over time.

But in the meantime...YES, keep Snacks handy. I've found when I get overhungry that my band really gets finicky and I almost always PB cuz I'm eating too fast (since I'm starved). So then it's a bad deal....VERY hungry, can't eat cuz I PB'd, MORE hungry and now upset. Oy! Keep a snack! Don't get into that crazy loop!!!

Hi,

I just had my first fill: 1 cc in a 4cc 10cm band. I'm starving almost all the time and get hungry every two-three hours. I haven't been able to lose any weight since two weeks after surgery and am anxiously awaiting my next fill which I really hope will do the trick.

I do. ANd as soon as I did (yesterday) solids with protien (soy protien as I am a vegetarian) I found myself not as hungry as I was on mushies and soft foods. But yes, i was hungry an hour after eating.

Early on, fill or no fill, I found myself needing to schedule in-between meal Snacks to curb the hunger that happened between meals. I don't know whether the theory about the larger stomach having a hunger sensation has any merit, but I know I certainly did feel better with those Snacks even if it was a piece of string cheese with crackers or a Protein bar.

Now, after a year I do much better. I can go maybe 5 hours between meals if I have to. By that 5th hour I'm pretty hungry but not so hungry that I can't control myself.

For example, for Breakfast this morning I had a scrambled egg with toast at about 9 A.M. I couldn't eat again because of appointments and such until about 2 P.M. That's 4.5-5 hours. I say 4.5 because it took me at least 20 min to cook and eat the Breakfast. :eek:

I am 3.5 months out. I have to eat every 2-3 hours, plus drinking at least 96 ounces of water/crystal lite a day. I lost good at first but the last month the weight loss has really slowed down and even with increased Water and exercise 2-3 days a week. Sometimes I feel like I am eating too much but generally stay between 1200-1400 calories a day. My doctor wants me to get at least 1400 on the days I exercise. I am eating between 70-90 grams of Protein also each day. This plateau I am on is so frustrating.

I currently have 6cc in my 9cc (11cm) band. I am not able to eat much upon getting up usually have Protein Drink when i get up as i am starving then either a Protein Bar or dry Cereal about 2-2.5 hrs later. For lunch is not at work eat deli turkey/sting cheese and maybe some cottage cheese and fruit for that sweet craving. Mid afternoon snack usually Protein Bar or beef Jerky. Then for dinner its whatver DH has but small portions (tonight broiled chicken breast (2oz) and 1/3 cup Pasta roni).

Plus on top of not losing much, I AM LOSING MY hair BADLY ON TOP...aarrgghhhh Anyone have any suggestions for getting off the plateau. I dont think I need a fill even though its been 3.5 weeks since last one. I am so depressed, feel like I am the one the band won't work for.

I find myself doing the same thing all the time......I was thinking it was abnormal but I talked to doc about it and he said it was normal...My new tummy gets full fast but my lower tummy is hungry...he said it will even out with time.....Good luck!

I noticed it's been quite awhile since you were banded. Did you ever get filled to the point that you didn't feel hungry 1 1/2 hrs. after eating a meal?. I was banded 4 months ago, have had 4 fills and am just this week feeling hopeful that the surgery worked. I'm trying really hard to only eat solid food with a yogurt and Protein Powder 3 hrs later to hold me over. I starting to lose again.